How Dark Skin Characters are Portrayed

Yasssss I love that story I was honestly so happy when I read that and just like yesssss let’s do this, and it’s one of my favorites

3 Likes

Part of me is tired of this “black or white” split, though. I’m mixed race and identify as neither - I’m somewhere in between and much prefer to be called “brown”. It irks me to no end when people call Meghan Markle black, for example. She’s just as much white as he is black. It’s not like there are more genes from her African-American side or something. It’s crazy how it’s like “white people are white and everyone else is black”. Crazy mentality which completely negates how unique different races and race combinations are.

Sorry for the rant xD

15 Likes

I don’t really mind however if someone 'cause to have the MC pale and blonde, you allowed the CC, so you have to deal with what they created, what if they just wanted to make a pale blonde person? It isn’t that uncommon in real life and maybe she looks like that.
Anyway… The dusty lips could’ve been brushed off by the simple fact of lipstick. As a black person, I love it when I see black people in stories and movies and etc. Especially darker people even as a lighter skinned black person bc I don’t see them as represented as much.

Anyway, I don’t mind if you include cc in a story about a black person or not however full on cc, if you want that story to be about a black person, you should at least change it a bit, add gains maybe so that if they do create a White person and the parents are black they a reason for it, it’d be cool of it effected the story!

Limited CC is also best, but the most important fact:

People create what they see.

I have noticed this A LOT.

Sometimes people will choose hairstyles, looks, faces, eye colors, and even in other communities that creates stories their characters look alike.

People create what they see and what they think of.

A long time ago, I used to only watch white shows, I talked white, and acted white, people would look at me and be like: “She acts SO white!”

And I created my characters white.

I created what was in my head at the time, if they are white, I made them white.

I created Black people just to put Black people in stories, and because i thought they weren’t in stories too much.

Other races because I wanted to.

But before that, they were white folks. :joy:

there was even a girl whose face was originally White, but because I wanted her to be Black, I changed her race, but still to this day, I think of her as a little White girl, and the way I did her, I just made her skin darker. I didn’t want to change too much. I feel like doing a skin change; like in early childhood she looked like this whereas as she grew it changed, it has happened to my relatives. Though that mostly happened because they worked in the sun. Literally. They kept working in the sun and it happens.

And if You want more black people in stories, create stories without cc, or with limited cc, both of 'em booms, anyways, so!!

And on a weirder note, some places have never seen black peeps, I mean literally, some cities don’t have black people.

Some peeps aren’t racist and don’t have black friends by coincidence, like you may not have a Chinese friend by coincidence, if you live in Canada, my Dad says that basically Canada hardly has any Black folk, and if the Story takes place in Canada, sometimes you may see a few, but basically people tend to make stories about what looks like them is, he said, if you see a few there, then yeah, there are some, but I did not, you may not see many Black people in stories where it takes place in Canada cause there probably aren’t that many people that are Black in Canada.

Or maybe the story, revolves around to certain FAMILY, I have a story where that has happened, in the story the main character is white, in the first episode you will not see black people because when I wrote it, the story was centered on the family, it was how things in the story started off, you see them later, in future episodes.

Or maybe or maybe a reading a fantasy story, I have a fantasy Story called no longer slaves in this story, I basically looked up a whole bunch of different species, and basically, most of them were fair skinned and etc. And I put them in my story. Most were else else by folklore are usually fair skinned, or a lighter brown depending on the writer.

But because of the fair skin not really dark. Some characters are African, but have lighter skin tones, because in the folklore of the African, I wanted to keep the characters very true to their physical traits, which was kind of hard when doing it in episode, but I tried my best, and that’s why they had very light or pale skin, sometimes even straight up White skin (that was the African folklore).

I chose not to make up my own species because I wanted to use already made species instead of my own and that was what came up. They could also be creating their own race, one with much lighter skin or that looks like Black people or that looks like White people, let’s say they create a race that look likes white people with black people’s hair, which is possible, especially if the race is human which can be explained by having sex and making babies :baby::baby::baby_bottle: between blacks and whites Or two different races with those features.

The race of the people also matters as you could be doing a Story in Germany, or in a vast majority white/other-yet-light-skinned-race area on earth.

However most of the non-European world has darker skin, but aren’t necessarily Black.

One guy has literally shoe polish black skin as one person had said.

Stereotypes can also play a role, like all people of this race is white looking when in reality that’s not true. They THINK that they’re being racially accurate when they are not.

Like some white people have Asian like eyes (looked it up/saw on YouTube),
All-in-all, if you want to see more Black people in stories, then create some more Black people in stories.
Create a Story, that’s more racially accurate.

Like make a Story with darker skin, Black people instead of lighter skin, Black people or create a Story with them like maybe what customization and and make the lips change with the characters are make the lips darker with the racist lips, because some people wear lipstick, that’s it, that’s all I’m gonna say. Make the parents facial features change with the child’s facial features so.

5 Likes

Hey, I think you’re missing the whole point of my original comment. I don’t care what the MC looks like before I’m allowed to do CC. What I mean by that comment is to go the extra mile and have it where the families also match the character that I create. The lip color comment that you made is a little cold. Do you realize that it’s limited choices of lipstick color for darker skin tones in both INK and LL?

I also don’t have to deal with anything as well. I’m tired of being told by other races to “Just deal with it.” Please in the future never compare someone skin color to shoe polish. I actually took offense to that. I understand you saw that comment somewhere else. But it’s best not to spread that type of comment around.

There’s actually a few African American authors creating more stories with POC as the MC. Some of their stories are easy to find if the author is very popular. But for the lesser known authors like myself, it’s hard to find our stories.

Also I don’t agree with their not being a alot of African Americans in other geographical locations as well. There’s different skin tones colors all over the world. Hopefully, you learned something for this post. I usually like to keep my post short, sweet and to the point. If you need some more education my PM (private message ) is always open.
Thanks,

10 Likes

I agree! I don’t think it is so much that they don’t care for black people, but just forget that some people customize their characters with a darker skin tone. I feel that if they are going to allow your readers to have full CC, they should at least change the family too!

2 Likes

Eww.

Honestly, it’s 2018. Have some fucking respect for POCs. Sad.

4 Likes

It really is :sweat:

2 Likes

Grow up, guys. cough cough Episode cough cough

6 Likes

I completely understand your frustration. I know that coding can sometimes be difficult. It frustrates me, even more, when I can’t customize my parents. Like, yes, I do have tan skin, but that doesn’t mean my parents do too. Even with people who aren’t mixed/biracial, our parents aren’t always going to have the same skin tone, features, etc. as us…

2 Likes

o.O
where did he get this information from.
I live in Canada, I’m black and my family is not the only black family around…?
There’s a Nigerian church that we go to and that place is practically filled to the brim with black people. My regular church also has black people in it. We got black people shopping at Walmart, black people living on my street, going to my school, having normal Canadian lives. And this is just in Ontario. Most of my (black) mother’s family live in BC (still in Canada), and there’s a lot of them.

You didn’t see any black peoples when you went to Canada? Where did you go? And, yes, I know that there probably aren’t black people in every corner of Canada (just like in America) but there certainly is more than “some”. There’s so much African culture down in Toronto, so I’m very surprised your dad said that there aren’t many black people in Canada. ‘Cause this is new to me.

7 Likes

To all the people criticizing, this is my message to them –

I am shook as hell reading your comments above. I also get frustrated when I make my Indian light-brown-skinned characters in CC stories and their families come out white-as-vanilla-icing. I also have a black character in my story and if it helps to any amount, I’d try to add much info on her as possible so as to not make her as the ‘side’ one. As for the CC part, I’d try to better it as much as I can so that diversity can be fully achieved.
I’m happy that people are addressing these issues from time to time so that others get notified in what they think or lack behind. Diversity should be respected as such. I’m not saying this just because I’m an Indian who lives in a diversity-filled country! I’m saying this on the basis of what I’ve read from different people’s opinions. Diversity is a beautiful thing – no matter the race, religion, caste, gender, sexuality, color, nationality, citizenship, age, financial status, disabilities etc!

8 Likes

I wasn’t tring to offend anyone, I thought the darker skin was really cool. I didn’t feel that I could just say that they said that it was black, I thought no one would believe me, but there are people who have said that a black person or someone went to place with absolutely no blacks, I tried to offer insight as to certain people would not include POC in their stories.

1 Like

I assume that it would be pretty easy (not saying that it is) to make the MC family nd friends have similar features the MC.

1 Like

I’ve never been To Canada, that is what my dad told me. They say that I America there isn’t much black people but I see black people EVERYWHERE. I come from a black/creole (frommy mom’s side) family, so I see a lot of light skinned black peeps. I’ma get so much hate back for this… 🤦🏿‍♀

2 Likes

I feel the same, that’s why now sometimes I just play the main characters the way the writers made them. There’s no point in making the MC look like me if the rest of the family won’t.

1 Like

I have a mixed friend in Canada.

2 Likes

12 Likes

I live in Canada and there are 3 white kids in our class of 24

3 Likes

I’m Caramel!

3 Likes

But we ARE making stories with more black people. specifically with dark skin. and people who are black but have albinism. However, it is usually small authors who don’t get much recognition. And then you have some big authors who actually diversify their stories.

There are MANY black people in Canada.

The dusty lips AREN’T intended to be lipstick. It’s because teh AUTHOR isn’t bothered to code the story properly. And the dusty lips wouldn’t even WORK for dark skin characters, it doesn’t match - we have other options.

9 Likes