Discussion: Do you care if choices matter or not in a story?

Do you care if choices matter in a story?Why or Why not?

For me I don’t care as long the story has a good plot. I have read plenty of story’s where the choices don’t matter but, the plot was good so I didn’t care.

3 Likes

Depends on the story. Some stories work best having a linear progression (aka choices affect very little) and some work best having choices affect your ending along with various outcomes.

12 Likes

Nope. My story’s going to have very few choices that really matter. Some stories are interactive & those are fun! However, some people use Episode as a platform between a book and a movie- you can visualize it all while still reading. It’s a story that they want to tell. You’re the audience. Sometimes, I love interactivity. But, sometimes I just want to sit back & enjoy a story! Choices that matter can be pressuring sometimes, too :sweat_smile:
I hope that made sense. If not, ask questions! I’m happy to help :))

7 Likes

I think choices should matter to some extent, so that the story can be a little bit personalized. Give them the choice to pick the food they want to eat, what to wear, what to say, what to think. A few choices here and there are good enough. You don’t need a point system or let the reader makes major decisions. I aim to have at least 3 choices per chapter.

4 Likes

i agree. It depends on the story you are writing. If you are writing a mystery or horror story, usually the more choices you have the better, because that way, the reader can try to solve the mystery as well, or try to save themselves from dying. For a romance story, there should be some choices, so the reader can have a say in their love interest and their interactions with the love interest.

2 Likes

I generally prefer choices that matter & change outcomes, content, and development OR no choices at all, like reading a regular VN. I’m not a huge fan of choices that change some dialogue superficially and don’t really have any consequences as far as the plot goes.

4 Likes

depends how

towars the ending. not really

I dont wanna read a story with out choices

but stupid choices like. it dosent matter what you pick its the same anyway . i hate those. I just read a story where most choices was

yes
yes but in gold

or sceam

SCREAM!!!

its not a choice if the options is the same

2 Likes

I totally agree! Sitting back and letting the author tell the story is lots of fun, too! The choices is what makes Episode so unique.

3 Likes

I love stories where choices matter but I can still definitely enjoy a story that doesn’t have meaningful choices too

5 Likes

Like Spirit said, it depends on the story. Choices that doesn’t matter aren’t a huge deal to me, but if the story is a YOU-insert story, than yeah, I prefer to have choices that matter. However, I do hate the type of choice that is given especially when it’s an option to get drunk or go have secsky time, and when I click no. It still makes me play through the choice for yes.

7 Likes

I can enjoy a story with one LI where the romance is fixed, but what I can’t take is when the author pretends like you’ll have a choice between two LIs and then forces you to be with their favorite.

Please… no illusion of choice. :confused:

9 Likes

I don’t care I like these two type of story :slight_smile: But if you say that in your story choices matter when they not matter dont said that the choices matter please

3 Likes

However, I do hate the type of choice that is given especially when it’s an option to get drunk or go have secsky time, and when I click no. It still makes me play through the choice for yes.

OK, anyone who writes this should have an unsharpened (wouldn’t want to actually hurt them, of course) pencil thrown at them.

(And as far as the original question is concerned, like a few other posters have said, it depends on the story.)

5 Likes

I love it when choices matter it makes reading the story much better because you can actually take your time and think. One of these days im gonna make a forum of stories i have read where choices matter.

5 Likes

I read a story once it was exactly this (love interest choice)but not love interest choice finally and I was like are you kidding me :expressionless:

3 Likes

A good story is a good story, but interactivity increases the score to ~70%.

1 Like

I’d rather not have choices that matter. I don’t want to accidentally make the wrong choice. If choices do matter, it doesn’t stop me from enjoying the story but I’d prefer not to have to think of the outcome of every single one of my decisions. There are some stories that should have choices though. Stories that revolve around you making the correct decisions in order to survive or solve a puzzle are fine.

3 Likes

No. Many stories are fine without having choices that matter. Also, the stories that do have major life changing choices have it at the end and its usually saying this guy or that guy/ this girl or that girl.

2 Likes