Discussion: Dress codes

So what do you think of dress codes? Do you agree or disagree? Let me know in the comment section down below.

Btw, this is mainly about school/work but you can talk about the red flag in a relationship if you wish because it does happen. Same with religion as well.

To be honest, I am 50/50 about dress codes as this depends on the circumstances.

16 Likes

Dress codes are just another way for men to control women

6 Likes

It depends tbh but sometimes it doesn’t matter unless it’s a formal event. :woman_shrugging:t4:

1 Like

I do see where you’re coming from with this but I am talking about like school/work.

2 Likes

I am too. Women can’t wear what they want because the men will “get distracted” it’s disgusting

3 Likes

My bad, I thought you were on about the red flag in a relationship. But yeah, I do see where you’re coming from with that.

1 Like

Definitely. I mean you wouldn’t want to attend a prom in a tank top & ripped skinny jeans, right?

1 Like

Lol. :rofl:

1 Like

I personally think that at school, you should be able to wear whatever you want to show your personality and express yourself. Same at work, unless the dress code is made because of safety reasons.
I do think that clothing is our own thing and it depends on us what do we want to wear.
I, for example, would not put on a short, revealing dress to school or to office work, but that’s just me.
I do agree that in order to show respect it would be nice if you dress smart and elegant if you go to the theatre, opera or something like that.

3 Likes

Don’t have much dress codes here, except if it’s an event or if you have to wear a uniform for certain jobs. I personally don’t mind it too much, used to have a dress code at my old job and I though it was fine. However I don’t like when schools do it, I think especially your early teenage years are for expressing yourself and more importantly, finding yourself. Clothes are a big part of that and I hate to see young adults having to give that up. :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

What situations do you refer to?

1 Like

I guess dress codes are very different in Sweden compared to the UK. When I was in primary school (ages from 4-11 years), we never wore uniforms but when I started secondary school (age 11-16 years), we had to. I hated my school uniform because it made me look huge :sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob::sob: but the reason why they have dress codes because if we wore normal clothing everyday, it can enable bullying as this happens on non-uniform day.

2 Likes

Since im the “queen” of seemingly unpopular opinions

There not opressive nor sexist. School and work arent fashion shows. The dress codes are very reasonable ppl just dont wanna be told what to do. Dress how you like outside of school/work.

You know if you wear those short shorts ur gonna get sent to the office
you knew tht when u went to school

Im a straight girl and find all the crap ppl wear distracting even more when they complain about why they should not have to follow the rules(gender doesnt matter)

9 Likes

I don’t mind dress code, if it is required by a place, that you can choose to attend or not attend.

If we are talking about work, then yes, in a lot of companies it is needed because:

• You represent this company as an employee, so it’s reasonable to request certain look, depending on what company wants to appear like for their clients/partners. It is the same as wearing a uniform.
  • Outfits can be distracting.
    Of course a straight men will be distracted by a woman wearing a shirt/dress with the low cut. I mean, it’s physical. It’s just how it is. Like I would be distracted by a man wearing extremely tight pants. It doesn’t mean they will comment on it, or try to do something with, or think you’re easy. It will distract. So saying, that it is a way of controlling, is idiotic, as I see it.

However, I totally don’t support dress code, that affects you in places, that you have no chance in avoiding. Like various Muslim countries for example. Women can’t choose to wear or not to wear certain attire, regardless of what they want.

11 Likes

True that.
I’m all for women wearing bralette with shorts outside work/school but I have a massive problem with little girls wearing clothing like that.
I definitely don’t agree that women should be forced to wear the burka/hijab because that is violating women’s rights.

2 Likes

Yeah there aren’t many schools w dress codes here I’d say. I do get the point they’re making w the dress codes in school, but I don’t agree with it. Kids will always find something to bully other kids with, I don’t think clothes is the problem here. I just think it’s so important to be able to express yourself, no matter who you are.

1 Like

I don’t necessarily like the rule about a ‘dress code’ especially since that rule seems to only apply to female. However, I understand dress codes to a certain point.

Females shouldn’t walk around the school half naked. It is distracting if you see a girl walking around and her ass is hanging outside of her shorts. Or if her breast are popping out of her shirt. I get that. I understand the dress code rule for reasons like this.

This is my opinion about school. As for work, I guess my reasoning is the same as well.

6 Likes

Clothing is definitely not the only problem that enables bullying. It can be over appearances or hobbies & interests. But true, I don’t mind people wearing whatever they want as long as they don’t force others to dress like them.

1 Like

I hate dress codes we really don’t have much freedom with what we can wear since we already wear uniform at my school but I feel like schools take them to seriously and let it distract them from way more important things going on in school. If they see you wearing a jacket that’s not uniform at my school they take it or if you don’t have your uniform on or even if you don’t have the shirt you have to sit in the deans office all day I think its unnecessary because kids are missing class constantly just because of clothes its a difference if we were actually wearing something inappropriate

1 Like

Yess exactly, bullying can come from pretty much anything so.
Nah I agree, I’m all for people wearing whatever they want. But I understand having dress codes at work, but I’d say that’s a different story.

2 Likes