Discussion: Episode music and sound

So I may have only created this thread because I’m working on a story to which I’m too lazy to add music and since I know that many people read stories on mute, I’m not sure if it is worth the effort.
I wrote my first story with music and sound not a long ago and boy, I was suffering so hard :sweat_smile:
Just wondering if I am alone with this…

1. How important music is to you when reading a story?

2. Do you think it is equally important in all stories and genres?

3. Is it always a plus to set a scene?
    3.a. Have you ever found yourself truly amazed by the way an author used music?
    3.b. Have you ever found yourself annoyed by the way it was implemented?

4. If you are a writer, do you add music to your stories?
    4.a. Do you use music throughout the whole episode, or only in some specific scenes?
    4.b. Honestly, how much time does it take to you to choose a decent music that actually fits the scene you are working on???

5. Any favourite and/or hated Episode music?

11 Likes
Adding sound to story
Do you prefer stories with music?

Not. At. All.

I mean… Look, it’s helpful for thriller stories to build suspense, or to make me feel sad in romance stories. And I’ll admit that when I actually do have my volume up, I’ve found it did enhance the story. But when not turning my volume up, it’s not as though it takes away from the story.

By some freak coincidence when I started reading Love Life, I had the volume up and I was only impressed because I could tell it was new music, then I was impressed at myself for being able to tell it was new music, so I feel like this doesn’t really count, but it’s truly the only time I’ve been like omg music.

Strangely enough, the other day I had my volume up in a story which seemed to play happy music for serious scenes and sad music for happy scenes. I remember it did stick out to me…

In one, yes.
In one I revamped, I added some.
In the rest, only sound effects, like door knocking or screams coming from another room.

I feel like I do this in a weird way… I write up like maybe 4 or 5 episodes, then once I’ve played through them and checked them to make sure there’s no branching errors, I go back and add music and sound in. So I end up spending at least a day just focusing on the music side of it… And I’m never fully happy with it. It’s so hard to find the right music, I can never remember the names of the ones I imagine playing in my head, then I’ll find something else and think it’s a good fit for a scene further on, but once I get to that scene, I forget that music too. Then I end up using the same 4 songs the whole way through. It’s a mess.

Um, um, um… I had to search for these
These are some that I like:
music_80srock_lp
music_attitudepop
music_raprock_lp2
shortmusic_70s
shortmusic_electricguitar
I’m sure there’s a couple more though

As for ones I don’t like… I don’t know… The music has never really bothered me that much during the times that I do have my volume up, so I guess there’s not really any I don’t like. There are some overused ones though. Like I can guess with my volume down what music is probably playing

Also, yaaaaaaayyy!

4 Likes

Haha, wasn’t it a parody or something? Because in that case I would love to read it! :smiley:

Well you are quite efficient compared to me: I’m also unable to remember any of the names but this annoys me so much that I often play the whole list until I find the one I’m looking for… Then I finish a scene, start a new one and start playing the list from the beginning :laughing:

Just working on it, it doesn’t mean I’m going to publish :smiley:

1 Like

No, sorry. Wasn’t a parody. I think the author might have just picked some random songs without listening to them tbh :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

Oh psshhh… You wouldn’t have made a topic about music if you weren’t going to publish it at some point

2 Likes

How important music is to you when reading a story?
It’s not important at all. I don’t turn my volume up :joy:

Do you think it is equally important in all stories and genres?
Since I write mostly thriller/horror stories, I’ve had some fanmail commenting on the sounds/music and saying it adds to the scare.

Pitch Perfect.

Yeah. One time when I actually decided to use my sound on the stupid music never stopped and just kept playing on a stupid loop so I turned my volume off again.

If you are a writer, do you add music to your stories?
Yes.

4.a. Do you use it throughout the whole episode, or only in some specific scenes?
Specific scenes. Who wants to listen to that music for an entire 20 minutes episode?!?!

4.b. Honestly, how much time does it take to you to choose a decent music that actually fits the scene you are working on???
Considering I don’t even listen to it myself- way too long :joy:. But actually, not really. I always add the music/sounds after finishing each episode. I’d say… well maybe an hour max? But it probably doesn’t even take me that long lol. It did take longer at the beginning when I didn’t know what everything sounded like.

Any favourite and/or hated Episode music?
Whatever happened to teenangst?
I like: music_dramaticballad and music_emotionalstringpop. My most hated sound is that nails on a chalkboard one (strings_scary) which I admittedly use a LOT lol.

Edit to add: The ONLY reason I started adding music into my stories was because I was working on a contest entry and wasn’t sure if I’d lose points/wouldn’t score as well if I didn’t use it :joy:

3 Likes

Okay, I might need to edit my post, because here I didn’t mean the same music in the whole episode :smile:
I personally prefer to keep some scenes without music because I think this way I can highlight other scenes better and maybe just maybe because I’m lazy.

Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Hahaha oh I agree but there have been a couple of stories where I’ve tried to turn my sound on but had to turn it off because the music never stopped :persevere:. Different tracks, but no pauses.

1 Like
  • Pretty important. I love when writers utilize sounds and music well.
  1. Do you think it is equally important in all stories and genres?
  • Yes, it can definitely help.
  1. Is it always a plus to set a scene?
  • Yes!
  • Yes. Especially if they use the right kind of sad music for sad scenes, and I get heart pangs, I’m like, “Damn.” :sneezing_face:
  • Only when implemented oddly? Like when they use sad music for scenes that aren’t sad, or music that doesn’t fit the mood.
  1. If you are a writer, do you add music to your stories?
  • Always.
    4.a. Do you use music throughout the whole episode, or only in some specific scenes?
  • Pretty much throughout unless the particular scene doesn’t need it at the moment.
  • A lot lol, I spend a lot of time going back and forth on music for scenes until I like them.
  1. Any favourite and/or hated Episode music?
  • I love all the dreamy, melancholy romance music cause it’s my fav genre to read.
3 Likes

How important music is to you when reading a story?

• Personally music is actually a really important part when I’m reading a story. As cheesy as it might sound don’t @ me I like to read with all of my sensea, and music really helps me to set the mood when reading a story. I’m guilty of this also when it comes to listen to music in a non-episode-related scenario, by listening to sad music I can automatically get in a sad mood and by listening to happy music I can get so pumped up. It’s hard to describe, but I guess one way to make others understand is maybe to ask if Christmas for instance would be the same without the music? Or well, some people still might not be able to relate with me -the ones who get me get me hehe. As I said earlier I like to use all five of my senses, and I we continue on the track of Christmas for me personally it wouldn’t be the same without all of the festive music, the scent of gingerbreads etc. Alright, back to the topic :sweat_smile: I guess the point I’m trying to make is that a sad scene wouldn’t feel the same without the music, I wouldn’t be able to relate on such a deep level without getting in the mood with some music - and this applies to almost every scene.

Do you think it is equally important in all stories and genres?

• Yes, no matter what vibe you are trying to send out with your story (eg. funny, sad, romantic, dangerous, scary) you will most likely be able to do it by using the right music.

Is it always a plus to set a scene?

• It depends on the scene. If I’m allowed to be poetic I would actually say that silence can be a great way of expressing things also. I like to use the ambient sounds for scenes that doesn’t have that much passion/doesn’t need that much oumph that music can give, and when there is a scene where the characters are expressing strong feelings and I want the reader to be able to feel their feeling I’ll add music that helps set the mood.
    a) Have you ever found yourself truly amazed by the way an author used music?
    I can’t think of anything at the moment unfortunately. If you want a random and useless fact to make up for the fact that I can’t share any music-masterpieces with you: I love the music used in the mean girls stories.
    b) Have you ever found yourself annoyed by the way it was implemented?
    Yes! Sometimes writers just add random music that doesn’t add to the story at all, and I also hate when the music is changed every five seconds. If you are going to add music to the story, make it mean something. Don’t just add music for the sake of adding music, a friendly little tip :grin:

If you are a writer, do you add music to your stories?

• I have no published stories, but I have a ton of unfinished crap in my writer portal and something consistent for all of the stories there is that they contain sound and music. Whenever I write a scene I always add music and sound, honestly I think it’s kinda fun to browse through the sounds available and find ”the chosen one” that fits the scene.
    a) Do you use music throughout the whole episode, or only in some specific scenes?
    See my previous answers :blush:
    b) Honestly, how much time does it take to you to choose a decent music that actually fits the scene you are working on???
    Since I add the music whilst writing it doesn’t take that much time. The only thing that takes time is listening through all of the music available, but once you get familiar with your options it becomes easier and quicker to pick out what song that fits the scene.

Any favourite and/or hated Episode music?

• As stated before, I love all of the music from mean girls. Also love all of the juvie songs, especially juvie_seedy and juvie_somber. For a powerful scene I like aggropop, meanorgan, the kpop music haha and the fashion_upbeat one. I am also very drawn towards the stressbeat, but I’m puzzled on how you would use that. To be honest, I think I like all of the music in the portal. They all have their special occasions and every sound and music is useful for something, wether it is adding a comedic effect to your story or adding a shit load of drama :grin:

Alrighty, I think that’s it. Sorry for ranting, I hope that you’ve found my post useful hehe. Good luck with your story, I hope you will publish it! :revolving_hearts:

3 Likes

Oh welp, replied to the wrong person. SORRY :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Totally agree with your first comment, and it’s not cheesy at all! Music sets the mood for me.

1 Like

Wow, a real Episode music lover!
I will admit, I never considered music to be important in stories, but this was seriously so entertaining to read that I want to check that list again, right now :smiley:

3 Likes

I think music and sound is a great edition to have the option to include in stories, but personally I normally read episodes in public places when I’m waiting or in rooms with other people, so I don’t normally have my sound on :slight_smile:

3 Likes

If I had to rate the importance on a scale from 1 to 10, then it’s a solid 8. While it’s not essential, I much rather read stories which include sound effects and music.

2. Do you think it is equally important in all stories and genres?
Of course. Using the appropriate background music and sound effects during scenes can give the reader the right vibes and enhance their reading experience, which eventually helps them connect to the story emotionally.

Writing a drama with deep meaning? Include progressive calm / melancholic music.
Writing a romantic love story? Include tender / sweet music.
Writing a silly comedy? Include whimsical / humorous music and sounds.
Writing a fantasy? Include ethereal / mystical music and sounds.
Writing an intense thriller or horror? Include spooky / tense music and sounds.

3. Is it always a plus to set a scene?
Yes.

3.a Have you ever found yourself truly amazed by the way an author used music?
I have, numerous times. It contributed a lot to the story progression and helped me connect with the important moments.

3.b Have you ever found yourself annoyed by the way it was implemented?
I have a couple times as well. Sometimes the used music doesn’t correspond to the scene’s happenings or events, for example when an uplifting music is used in a sad scene and vice versa. If that’s the case, I mute the sound and try to enjoy the story without it, though it’s a shame.

4. If you are a writer, do you add music to your stories?
I do. I find it fun to experiment with different music and sound combinations in various scenes.

4.a Do you use music throughout the whole episode, or only in some specific scenes?
I try to find as much corresponding music as there is in the portal and if I don’t, I use the next most appealing one to the scene. Of course small breaks in between are also a big contribution to the variety of the sounds and music a writer uses.

4.b Honestly, how much time does it take to you to choose a decent music that actually fits the scene you are working on?
That depends. While I sometimes already know which background music will fit a scene perfectly and know it by heart, other times I need another good look on the list to find “the one”.

5. Any favourite and/or hated Episode music?
Some of my personal favourites are the following:

• music_spaceysomber
  • music_emoguitar
  • music_teenangst (y tho Episode)
  • music_90shiphop
  • music_grimybeat
  • music_meanorgan
  • music_spanishgroove
  • ending_theme
2 Likes

music doesn’t really effect if people read stories! It is just something extra! The plot matters!!!

1 Like

Adding to the discussion… Is there anyone out there that likes the process of adding sound? Like do any of you seriously sit there with a smile on your face as you stay up til 4am testing out all the sounds to find the perfect one? If so, teach me.

3 Likes

…yes :see_no_evil:
I save it for the very end of the writing process as a treat.

6 Likes

Not sure if sarcastic… :thinking:

1 Like

I’m being serious! For once :joy:
There’s nothing quite as satisfying as bringing a scene together with the right music for the mood or playing a scene through and finally having the sound effect timed perfectly.

4 Likes

I’m actually really surprised. You are a rare breed. How come I can’t feel this way towards sounds? :sob:

2 Likes