Discussion: Episode music and sound

there is a shockingly low number of people who actually play with the sound on. i think it’s a wasted effort, although it does add another dimension to the story.

as for genres i definitely think thrillers/horror benefit from sound/music so it brings out the eerie vibe that you get while watching thriller/horror movie.

3 Likes

yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep

1 Like

I don’t mind it, but I also don’t spend a lot of time on it lol.
I do it at the end, with my headphones in so I can get the full sound experience :rofl:

2 Likes

:scream:

2 Likes

Too important. I mean, I can and will read a story with no music if it is good enough, but when I hear no sounds or music for a while, I always reset the app because there is a glitch with music and I hate when that happens. The author spent time choosing this to enhance the story, let me hear it, Episode! But generally speaking, music is important. I think it adds the story the “I am an Episode story” detail… if that makes sense :sweat_smile:

Obviously. It helps set the mood and stresses the genre’s purpose.

It depends. There are some “neutral” scenes where music is not needed. Or perhaps it is only needed for a while. I like Episode music, but it does not have to be there just because.

Well, I have not been amazed… but there are some stories out there that make a good use of music. But nothing out of this world, I guess?

And YES, there were a few authors that had managed to psych me out. I do not even remember the name, but there was this story where the characters spoke a few lines and the music changed, then another character spoke, and back the music changed. It went like this for 2 scenes. Well, it was all I could endure, anyway.

Heck yeah, I do.

No, no, girl. Specific scenes.

Ugh. Sometimes I choose in the blink of an eye. Sometimes I take minutes, then I change it another day, then I decide to replace the music with an “ambience” sound. But I know the music’s names by heart. I just need to test which one fits the scene.

I do not hate any of them, but there are some I feel nothing about, like that serioushouse or something like that.
And I cannot list my favourite because it depends on the scene, honestly. That could make me love it or just be “meh” towards it.

1 Like

I hate it!
Mostly because I’m still doing this:

Plus lately when I find a music that would maybe fit the scene, I’m like : “Nah, I will totally find something better.”
Then after playing through the whole list: “Okay shit, what was the music I wanted to add at the very beggining? :thinking:

1 Like

You are the second person saying this today. Like how?! I don’t even know how they sound :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

ME! I love adding sound and music. It brings scenes to life.

2 Likes

I’m honestly shocked that there’s quite a few people who livte this part

2 Likes

My memory is awfully unreliable. Dates? No. Names? No. Faces? Hell, no.

But music? Easy :joy:

3 Likes
  1. How important music is to you when reading a story?
    Not. At. All.
  2. Do you think it is equally important in all stories and genres?
    I only like music in thrillers.
  3. Is it always a plus to set a scene?
    Nope.
    3.a. Have you ever found yourself truly amazed by the way an author used music?
    Never.
    3.b. Have you ever found yourself annoyed by the way it was implemented?
    Yes!!!
  4. If you are a writer, do you add music to your stories?
    Nope.
  5. Any favourite and/or hated Episode music?
    I don’t really fancy any of the musics…
1 Like
  1. sounds are important for my they just make the story better BUT I don’t care about episode’s music… Maybe in a horror story but even then it’s not really important for me

2. No I think it’s important for horror stories because that music is kinda good but for a romance or something like that I actually get frustrated with the music and turn it off

3A. yes shroud
3b like I said every other story that is not horror related because I only like the scary kind of music

4 yes but not because I want to
4.a the whole episode because I really don’t care about the music
4b episode’’ music is one of the reasons that my story takes so long to get finished because I just can’t find the right one

5 I don’t know what it’s called but it sure is a scary one :joy:

1 Like

1.) I often play Episode in public places so I usually play it with the sound off, sadly. I love when authors do include it, though so I’m a hypocrite :joy:
2.) I think some genres it is more important.
3.) I think sometimes the sound is perfect for setting a scene, but other times I find myself getting annoyed at the music because I’ve heard them so often.
4.) I do include music in my stories, but not entirely. For example, my story is a thriller, so I include sounds to add to make some scenes chilling (I hope haha). I don’t have music the entire time though.
5.) I really am starting to get dislike some of the most overused music sounds, like that piano track, but I also know it’s popular for a reason - it sets a scene effectively.

1 Like

Bump :orange_heart:

1 Like

I just want people to make it a choice at the start of each episode. I know it may be a little troublesome, but sometimes I wanna listen to Spotify music while reading an episode. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Hm I never thought of this, but what a great idea!

1. How important music is to you when reading a story?
Not important at all. Don’t care for it and it just makes everything I read feel cringy and I nope out of there. I don’t know why… :see_no_evil: I always play with the sound off. I also usually have something on in the background (tv or music) too, so music and sound is a double no for me.

2. Do you think it is equally important in all stories and genres?
I can see it being more important and actually enhance a horror, mystery or suspense story.

Not that I can remember.

Yeah, a few times when I forgot to turn the sound off. :joy:

4. If you are a writer, do you add music to your stories?
No. I feel like I would do a really bad job adding it since it mostly sounds cringy to me. So I choose not to add it because badly implementing it would take away from my stories. :woman_shrugging:

2 Likes
  • How important music is to you when reading a story?

Zero

• Do you think it is equally important in all stories and genres?

Not at all ^^

• Is it always a plus to set a scene?

No, in fact, the contrary. I personally don’t like sound in my stories because I prefer always listening to something else.

No, because I don’t listen to it ^^ I tried, really, but I don’t like the way they sound and I don’t like many of the foley OR how it can be a silent story for so long and then every now and then “knock knock knock” or “RRIIIIIIIING” I prefer onomatopoeias

Every single time

• If you are a writer, do you add music to your stories?

No, but I feel like I should. Help me, Annie and anybody reading this. Should I do this at least for the adventurous entry?

4.b. Honestly, how much time does it take to you to choose a decent music that actually fits the scene you are working on???

I’m afraid it might take longer than originally thought now that you’ve asked this question LOL

• Any favourite and/or hated Episode music?

All of it. Some of it can be kinda funny, like with that one 400 lines story that was on for a second there, LOL, but like…I can’t imagine how it’d work outside of comedy tbh ^^’ also repetitive and annoying and I don’t like how any of it loops. shrugs

2 Likes

you’re going to hate my input, but yes. I think you should do it for contests at least

3 Likes

3 Likes