Discussion: Featured version of Austentatious

:older_woman:t3:

That was probably also before half of Episode’s readers were born, but I remember it too. :laughing:

2 Likes

I love that this cover is basically the remastered version of the original. Seriously, whoever does the covers I give them infinity props

5 Likes

Oh shoot, check me name out. LOL! But srsly when I saw the preview, THOSE OUTFITS AND ANIMATIONS IS A MUST HAVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

2 Likes

I read the first chapter, it has great narration and an amazing plot, but I don’t think it’s for me. I’ll tell you what I think of the rest when I get to chapter three.

2 Likes

alright. :wink:

1 Like

It’s not quite for me either, but it’s well-directed. It takes a lot for me to get swept up in a Romance genre story, so I think it’s more of a personal preference matter than a fault of the story’s. It may be that I just don’t particularly care for Johnny. He’s constantly talking down to the MC, and I tend to find that alienating.

3 Likes

The Earl and I doesn’t earn gems tho does it?

2 Likes

No replay?! …weird

1 Like

:joy::joy::joy::joy: lol right!

2 Likes

That might have just been for the beta, but I’ve also had replayable betas before, so I’m not sure.

2 Likes

The featured one does, I’m pretty sure.

It only does for some people, for some reason. :confused:

1 Like

It’s meh.
I’m only on the first episode, but the original is far superior. This is just sort of bastardized with the typical Episode tropes: spoiling the entire story by skipping to the future, characters with s**ty walk cycles, etc. My biggest pet peeve is how they watered down the beautiful language of the original by adding dumbass adlibs like “sigh” or “whatever.” It’s just not very historically accurate (not saying the orignal was historically accurate either, but at least it was an attempt) and is just super cringy.

3 Likes

I’m enjoying it a lot! I beta read through it and I’m so glad episode has regency era clothing that’s suitable for the story (even if it’s not 100% accurate). Definitely going to be one of my favourite featured stories. (The directing being 110% just makes it that much better.)

3 Likes

I’ve read the original, and I think it was a bit common that Baby’s thoughts are filled with modern ‘slang’. Though was this amplified with the Featured version

1 Like

I agree. I really didn’t get the impression the original was aiming for historical accuracy. I thought it had quite modern writing. I mean, they call her Baby for crying out loud. I think the featured version is going for the same effect. Austen and DD are an unexpected blend, so it makes sense it would kind of build its own language and etiquette. It’s deliberately anachronistic in a Baz Luhrmann-y way.

3 Likes

Okay, so there is an extra layer of reason why I think the naming situation is funny to me.

Little bit of gushing here

I got into watching and fan-girling over Eurovision around last year. This year’s edition has this Latin-inspired dance-pop number called 'She Got Me…". It was originally supposed to be called Dirty Dancing, but there was this things about rights so the title got changed to what it currently is.

EDIT: it could also be one of EBU’s weird rules, but I think it was essentially about title rights.

It’s pretty wild for me that a couple of European songwriters couldn’t get the rights to the name Dirty Dancing, but a Californian mobile game company can sksks. I mean, it makes sense, but now I can’t unthink this :laughing::laughing:

2 Likes

Weird. Titles aren’t even copywritable, and Episode’s similarities go way beyond the title. I guess Episode has more power than the Eurovision dancers. :smirk:

3 Likes

True that :sweat_smile:

1 Like

I would assume they have a contract with the owners of the rights to Dirty Dancing. Same thing they are doing with all stories that are based on celebrities, for example. That’s why they can use the title, characters and iconic scenes/quotes without having any issues copyright-wise.

3 Likes