Discussion: Fetishizing and Romanticizing Serious Topics

Yeah, I mean obviously the girl in the anime was mentally unstable. And they showed that too - she was a bit crazy. But I think the guy grew to love her back because she protected him (he was a pussy lol)

3 Likes

It doesn’t show them as romantic, it shows them as crazy. Mentally ill. A villian. A killer.

6 Likes

I mean, they did a good job of showing her bad ass creepy side. And their intention was to show how unhealthily obsessed she was with him and how that isn’t ok, but near the end it was literally like everyone was killing each other so i guess it didn’t matter who she killed because there has to be one diary holder left to win :woman_shrugging:

Also, Yandere Simulator was made to show the sick and weird obsessions that Yandere chan has with Senpai. The developer, Yandere Dev said he wants the game to be taken seriously and not all cute and lovely. I like how he portrayed the character (Yandere chan) as a victim of apathy syndrome or lack of emotion to others. This gave it much more meaning to just “i love you so much for no reason.”

3 Likes

Nah, I’m not talking about Mirai Nikki or Yandere Simulator, I like them. I’m talking about stories on writing platforms like Episode. Some people don’t realize what they are writing and show them cute.

2 Likes

Oh yeah ikr? It’s like they’re saying it’s ok to be a creepy stalker. Obviously it’s ok to love someone and somewhat be obsessed with them (as long as you don’t come into physical contact with them or in their lives and to not cause problems) And it is advised to get help if you are mentally unstable - but it’s not ok to portray the creepy stalker person as “hot” or romantic. No. They need help and it’s not healthy. In Mirai Nikki, the girl dies and the guy becomes “God” (sorry lol this isn’t going to make sense to people who haven’t watched it) The creators obviously didn’t want a happy ending. They portrayed what would actually happen in real life - someone could die or get hurt. Another example is the film Fear, 1996. In this film a boy named David McCall or smth is obsessed with this girl and at the end he goes as far as cutting her dog’s head off as revenge. He spies on her and he kills her best friend, who he thought was getting too close to her. At the end him and his thugs break in her house and long story short the father throws the guy out of the window and he dies. Not the nicest ending but it doesn’t put toxic or creepy relationships and people in a good light. The stalker dies and the girl lives in peace.

3 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since Community is for discussion of specific stories. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

1 Like

For sexual assault/abuse/harassment/rape, I’m just gonna drop this here:

@ShanniiWrites says wayyyy more than I could.

4 Likes

It depends, I love things based on true stories. It’s good to know what’s going on around the world, but if they change it into something like “falling for my abuser” that’s another thing because they would be playing with a serious matter. If the story shows how the life of someone being bullied, a slave, someone that survived and escaped sex trafficking, etc… (and nothing like romance is added) I would love to read it because we can’t solve an issue if we don’t know it exist.

3 Likes

Agreed

1 Like

Honestly, I do not like the fact that authors write a story about/with such serious situations (like rape or any sexual abuse) unless it is based on a real story. But, I wouldn’t highly recommend to write more stories about those situations nor to read, especially when there are young people (around 13 and above) in Episode who read stories and I think no one of them should not be exposed to it like that, since such topics may simulate anxiety and fear.
I do not know what about you, but if I see/read a story/movie with a sexual abuse or something like this, I will not be able to look right or left when I go out :fearful: :confounded: :worried:.

3 Likes

A lot of (young?) people believe everyone can change and it can be appealing for some readers to be the one who changes them (or “tame” them). There is the abusive schoolmate or a dreaded gang leader, they meet you and they take a U-turn only because of you. There is the cold-blooded serial killer, he meets you and he literally does everything for you to be his one and only, while developing genuine feelings for you. And it’s totally okay, in my opinion, if these stories contain a proper, detailed character developement and internal struggles (as it can be seen in one of my favorite TV-shows ‘Dexter’ that brilliantly depicts how the bad guy gets rid of his “dark passenger” by meeting the right person[s]).
So these authors are aware of the demand for these kind of stories, but not all of them are able to provide a legit storyline that’s supported by background researches. They just think “Oh, it’s gonna be fun, I’m gonna have a lot of readers, I’m gonna be famous, yay-hurray!” Then others follow their examples because they think it’s good, but it’s plain and shallow in real.

(I hope I succesfully managed to express myself kinda clear, despite me being half-braindead. :,D)

4 Likes

I don’t think serious stories need to be based on real life. In fact, I think that might upset the person it’s based on if it’s not the author.

There’s a way to talk about serious issues, whether it’s a real story or not, and not a lot of the people on Episode can handle that yet!

2 Likes

I hate that anime but like the theme song.

1 Like

Why do you hate it? <3

1 Like

Because it romanticizes mental illnesses and stalking?

It doesn’t lmao

It does the opposite. The guy is terrified of her through half of the series. After a while he realizes that she just wants to protect him from getting killed.

Also, how does it romantisize it? It clearly shows a bad ending and doesn’t make it all rainbows and cupcakes - like stalking is good. It shows the opposite - it shows what a sick and twisted girl Yuno is and how she was “saved” by Yuki when he said he’d be her husband when they were older. Yes, it does show them giving embraces and showing love but she kills herself at the end so he can be God - this shows that nothing good can come out of being in a toxic relationship like theirs.

EDIT: They could have shown more of Yuki trying to get Yuno mental health help or a therapist or smth - i do agree with this

If you kill for someone because you “love” them, that’s not romantic at all.

It never specificied that they were trying to make it romantic. They were purposely trying to make her look twisted and weird with the stalking bit. If they were trying to romantisize it, then they wouldn’t of made Yuki slap Yuno for being the sick, crazy person she is. Also, killing was part of the story. You had to kill all the other diary holders to be God. She helped him kill everyone else until there was her left - she then killed herself so that he could become God.

Shit, I misread everything.

Sorry. But yeah… Considering that she’s the other main character, then it would have to portray her as doing the “right thing”… Right?

Yes, I agree with that also. They should’ve made him get her help or something. To be honest, I really hated how they portrayed Yuki. If he really loved her he would’ve helped her, no? Instead, he left her alone and went to hang out with his buddies - one of them is a guy who likes Yuki too. Doesn’t he see how mentally harmful that is to Yuno considering the fact that she is clearly suffering from some personality disorder or a certain mental health. It portrayed him as weak and he couldn’t help the person he’s “supposed” to love. Yeah, they messed up a bit on that.

1 Like