DISCUSSION : Finishing Stories

(On a side note, I stopped doing daily Discussions because 1) I kinda ran out of ideas- 2) I want to encourage everyone to create discussions, and if I did it daily, it would become a Fallen thing :stuck_out_tongue:)

I want to engage in a guided discussion that talks about finishing stories and endings stories have. This kind of goes hand in hand with DISCUSSION : Stories with Multiple Endings (which I’ll prob recreate soon?)

1. Author : Have you ever completely finished a story before? Were you satisfied with the ending? Do you think your readers were satisfied with the ending?
  2. Reader : Have you ever completely finished reading a story before? Give an example of a time you were satisfied / unsatisfied?
  3. Author : What do you think are some of the challenges to writing an ending to of a story?
  4. How do you feel about open endings?
8 Likes
  1. Author : Have you ever completely finished a story before? Were you satisfied with the ending? Do you think your readers were satisfied with the ending?
    No…I’ve never finished a story…

2. Reader : Have you ever completely finished reading a story before? Give an example of a time you were satisfied / unsatisfied?
    Yes. I finished a lot of stories but I can’t think of any except The Ruby Tiara now. The ending was satisfying but I didn’t want it to end, a fascinating story.

3. Author : What do you think are some of the challenges to writing an ending to of a story?
    Remembering that you will never see those characters again… unless a spin off/sequel but its still not the same

Disgusting… Ok ok that was edgy lol. I mean, they are cool and all but why? If you’re not going explain stuff eventually why do it, why make people never be satisfied? I’m a bit annoyed by this since a story I like did this.

2 Likes

Author : Have you ever completely finished a story before? Were you satisfied with the ending? Do you think your readers were satisfied with the ending?

I have finished a couple of stories completely before. They were all short stories, though. I have yet to finish any of my epics that I like writing. Most people that read my stuff tell me that they like the story, so I guess they’re satisfied. Since I’m a perfectionist, though, I feel like I could always do better and I’m always coming’ up short.

Reader : Have you ever completely finished reading a story before? Give an example of a time you were satisfied / unsatisfied?

I have finished reading a few stories before, indeed. I was extremely unsatisfied with the ending of Hunger Games (I know it isn’t an Episode story, but…>.> Still counts?), I was unsatisfied with a lot of endings on Episode’s trending section, even if I like what’s in the middle just like I like the beginning and middle of Hunger Games. And I don’t like most horror story endings because more often than not, they seem to be happy endings and if I’m watching a horror, especially with demonic possession which is my favorite horror, bics better die. That’s all I’m saying.

Author : What do you think are some of the challenges to writing an ending to of a story?

For me, I love writing epics, so I feel like stories never truly end. That’s the sole challenge for me. Stories don’t end until life does, so…>.> Perhaps in my case, it is finding out what the overall goal is and how to achieve or try and fail it. A lot of my subjects are really broad, like demon war, for example. That never ends. LOL So, that’s my biggest problem.

How do you feel about open endings?

Not a fan. Sometimes they’re alright, and I can get over it, I suppose, but I want to know. I like certainty.

3 Likes

My short stories, but honestly they don’t count to me since they were all made with endings in mind because they were meant to be done to completion, compared to an ongoing story.
Yes, I have. And I don’t want to give examples bc I don’t want to call anyone out, but I think a lot of people rush endings. I’ve read a lot of endings with a lot to be desired. It’s rare that I finish a story and keep it on my favorites list because the ending was worth it to me.
The challenge is tying everything together, and integrating it into the story well. Making sure all questions that were possibly unanswered are answered.
I hate open endings. lmao.

4 Likes

YAAASS FALLEN, DISCUSSIONS :eyes:

Author : Have you ever completely finished a story before? Were you satisfied with the ending?
Yes and… yes :smiling_imp:

Do you think your readers were satisfied with the ending?
I hope they weren’t, hence the emoji above. Disappointing, anti-climatic or open ended endings are my goal nowadays.

Reader : Have you ever completely finished reading a story before? Give an example of a time you were satisfied / unsatisfied?
Yeah, a few times. A few I’ve been satisfied with were Challenge Accepted (pretty sure I told her this was one of the best endings I had ever read), Hit and Run (even though I killed everyone I loved), and Heading South was another one of my favourite endings, however I don’t think everyone who read the story would have been satisfied with it since you didn’t choose which love interest, I think it was determined by points (I think)… Oh and Silhouettes! Another one I was completely satisfied but I bet other people weren’t. I think there’s only one ending to a story I’ve read that really annoyed me and I stalked author’s fanmail to see that everyone else was annoyed with it too and the author just responded that she wanted to hurry up and finish it because her episode career was ending. Lol.

Author : What do you think are some of the challenges to writing an ending to of a story?
The biggest challenge for me is always how to exactly end it… Do I say “The End” or do I not acknowledge it? Do I put an author’s note? :nauseated_face:

:smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

6 Likes
  1. No. I cannot seem to finish a story, but I come up with a thousand more ideas!

2. Many times. The most unsatisfying endings are when they drag things out too long and the ending is boring or predictable. I like the endings that make me go “Awww” but only at the end… there is no need to kill all of the excitement way before the ending.

3. The hardest thing about writing an ending is making it natural and true to the story. The end is what makes the reader feel the story was worth it. You have to find a balance of excitement and simplicity without being cheesy or cliché.

4. I don’t like open endings. It’s an ending for a reason. I need that knowledge! Closure is essential.

6 Likes

Never reading another story from you! Hahaha.

2 Likes

The hardest thing about writing an ending is making it natural and true to the story. The end is what makes the reader feel the story was worth it. You have to find a balance of excitement and simplicity without being cheesy or cliché.

Agree with this so much!!

3 Likes

Author : Have you ever completely finished a story before? Were you satisfied with the ending? Do you think your readers were satisfied with the ending?
I have completed… six. All the stories (except my first story) have multiple endings and the option to view the other endings so if my readers weren’t satisfied with the ending they got, I hope they were still happy with being able to read the other endings. I have been asked for sequels on some stories, though. Perhaps that indicates that the reader didn’t get the ending that they wanted? Or that they just wanted there to be more? :woman_shrugging:
In one case- I obliged and wrote a sequel and in another case, I’m planning on it. For the other stories, I’m personally satisfied with the endings and won’t be continuing.

Loads :rofl:. I prefer completed stories and if I’ve already read a few episodes of a story, chances are I will continue it until completion. In general- I’m usually satisfied with the endings but I’d say I prefer endings which give some form of closure. Endings that are too open-ended make sometimes leave me confused.

In my case- having to code multiple endings.
Also, knowing when to end it.

It depends on the genre. I think open endings work well in thriller (for example), but even though I sometimes have endings that don’t provide complete closure, as a reader I like closure. :laughing:

4 Likes

I have only started writing, so no. But I intend to.

The thing with me is I don’t start reading something unless it’s finished cause I don’t like to wait or get hooked by a cliffhanger (I’m also forgetful, so while I wait I might forget the story :sweat_smile:) or worse, the story gets discontinued :fearful:.

If it was a good story I will probably finish it in a day :sleepy:. Otherwise, it’s most likely gonna be dropped somewhere along the way.

I’m not satisfied when all of the story is normally paced and you find that on the last chapters suddenly it’s rushed as hell, like the author woke up that day and thought I must end this.
@#%&, give the ending it’s right! :sob:

There is, however, one instance where I didn’t finish a really good story. It’s Cirque du Freak (not on episode). In the volume before last, things really really escalated and I was too scared to find out how it ends.

Although the ending is usually the main objective/plot being achieved, I find there are countless possibilities on how it can be achieved, what happens, the details of it etc. And things only get more complex with branching.

NO.

1 Like

Answer 1. I have completely finished a story, but the ending was not as good and I don’t think my readers were that satisfied to be honest…

Answer 2. I have completely read SOO many stories and in onee I was really satisfied with the way the zooms happened.

Answer 3. Definitely one of the most challenging things is when you have such a good idea, and you just forget it… its so frustrating.

Answer 4. I don’t know what you mean about “open endings”

Open endings are like ones where it’s sort of left up to the readers’ imagination/interpretation. Imagine a horror story in which at the very end, you think you’ve outrun the villain, but then he shows up behind you in the mirror holding a knife or a gun and then it just ends. So you don’t know what happens next, you can only assume

1. Author : Have you ever completely finished a story before? Were you satisfied with the ending?
I have 4 stories and 3 of them is completed. I can’t say I’m completely satisfied with all of them in overall, but I’m pretty satisfied with the endings (especially considering that I didn’t know what the heck I was writing when I started the first two).

Do you think your readers were satisfied with the ending?
I hope so, I received some feedback from a few people who liked it and the others didn’t complain :smile:

Yes, I enjoyed most of the endings I’ve seen so far, but that’s probably because I only finished the stories that I really liked. It’s funny that @amberose mentioned Silhouettes, because that was the first story that came into my mind when I was reading this question. I’m not a huge fan of romance stories, but this one was very well structured, I think it got better and better with every single episode. At the beginning I thought it was pretty good then when I reached the last chapter I was so intrigued by the whole thing that I swear I even dropped a tear, which doesn’t happen to me often.

I agree with @Mimibrix on this: “The end is what makes the reader feel the story was worth it.”
This is one of the hardest parts: if I like a story but the ending is boring and cliche, I will remember the story to be boring and cliche, even though I liked it in overall.

I see that I am in minority with this, but I love open endings. Actually most of my favourite movies have open endings and after watching or reading something like this I keep thinking about potential outcomes for another few days.

It’s already a Fallen thing :smiley:

That ending really pissed me off!

Yes, you did and thanks again :blush:

Oh and @FallenAngelNight13: thanks for marking the questions with “author” and “reader” for the morons like me :smiley:

3 Likes

I haven’t finished a story yet and I’m scared I’m never going to … I’m the type of person who gets lot of great ideas and must pursue them but end up not finishing them. I work best under pressure but since I basically have all the time in the world to finish my stories, well, I just keep putting it off because I don’t have some kind of due date.

Yes, I have finished a fine amount of stories.
I’ve read several stories that had very predictable endings and I just think I’m both satisfied AND unsatisfied with them because… they ended well which I liked but it was so damn predictable which left me a little unsatisfied because I had probably expected more.

And with those predictable, cliché, typical endings I just don’t think I was completely satisfied.

I believe that it can be a challenge to write an ending when you don’t already have it planned before you even publish the story. I think your fans tend to lead you in a different direction and then it becomes hard to create an ending that you are happy with but also pleases the fans.
Also, I think it’s hard to just let go. I’m the type of person who gets very attached to my characters and I believe it’d be extremely difficult for me to realize that I was about to end it, to end them.

Uhh … probably 50/50. I hate being told “that’s just how it is” - I want to dig deeper, to find the reason behind certain things and in that case, I hate open endings. But I still kinda like the mystery that’s left when you create an open ending. It leaves so much to the reader’s imagination and you can picture it however you want it which can be quite entertaining. But also very annoying if there’s just one thing you really wanted an answer to but didn’t get … :thinking:

3 Likes

I don’t even know why I’m quoting this. I just thought it was such a good point that I wanted to highlight it but I don’t really have anything to add other than: TRUE THAT

4 Likes

Thank you

1 Like
  1. Yes I love open endings, it just excites me!
1 Like

I currently have three completed and one ongoing story (just started a month ago).
I have made a concious effort not to start a story until the previous one is finished (other than contest entries).
While this means that there are stories I (and my readers) would like to start, I find it difficult to focus on more than one story at a time.
I was satisfied with the ending because it was the ending I had envisioned from early on. As far as the readers being satisfied… :smiling_imp::smiling_imp::smiling_imp:

There are a lot of stories I have finished. If the story is complete, and I enjoyed reading the story, I have completed it. The only time I can say I was dissatisfied is when the ending either was rushed, or if the ending dragged on (story moved on past an appropriate ending with no added conflict needing resolved).

I recently finished my 90 Episode drama, and the last two-three Episodes were a struggle. Not as far as coming up what would happen, as the whole story had been mapped out, but making sure all loose ends were tied up. It is also a struggle because I think deep down, we know it will be finished, and especially with a long story, it becomes a part of you. With my short stories, the endings were much easier.

Love them.
There is fallacy in “Happily Ever After” because is that truth?
Open endings leave room for imagination of the possibilities.

4 Likes

0) Why I picked this topic? - I’m going to be finishing my longest running story (and I guess most popular story) in less than two weeks. I’m heavily stressing (not just because I have to code 144 endings :stuck_out_tongue: ) but I actually have to finish it. I’ve never been good with ending stories, and it’s def a huge fear of mine that the ending will be stupid. So, finishing stories is on my mind right now.
1) Have I completely finished a story before? I’ve finished three stories. Of the three, one was an open ending (kinda, it depends). The other two were ‘complete’ endings, but I disliked them but there was no other way to end the stories. (one the characters were erased from time… the other was like everything goes back to normal).
2. Have I completely finished reading a story on the app? So, I doubt anyone remembers me saying this but, a couple months ago I admitted I hadn’t finished reading a story like… for a year? That hasn’t changed that much. I’ve finished a few three-episode stories because I reviewed them / read them to support my friends but like most of the stories in my favorites are like Episode 1-9 then stopped x-x. I didn’t loose interest but kinda lazy to continue reading again. I should probably finish them :stuck_out_tongue: - Of the few that I did read, I remember being unsatisfied with just one because it was like A-B-C-D-Z, like wait what?
3. :zipper_mouth_face:
4. I like them as long as it’s clear that it’s an open ending.

1 Like