DISCUSSION: Genres

I decided to create a topic for writers about genres! I was curious to see what everyone thinks about different genres, writing in them, not writing in them, etc. I’m very interested in reading answers so feel free to answer any or all of the questions below or just answer with something topic related below. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts::slight_smile:

1. What’s your favorite genre to write in? Why?
  2. What inspired you to write in this genre?
  3. What’s one genre you wouldn’t be caught dead writing in? Why?
  4. What’s one genre you haven’t written in, but want to? Why?
  5. Does the trending section affect what genre you write? Why?
  6. Your favorite genre gets deleted! Where do you move your story?
8 Likes

I love writing action which is my first story on Episode as it depends heavily on visuals, something you can’t really do with just words. As for novels and such, I prefer drama and psychological horror with detailed descriptions of scenes.

Honestly? I don’t even know :joy: I don’t watch a lot of action except if it’s monsters, that’s a different story or crime movies, and my inspiration for scenes came from bits of X-Men movies that I stumbled upon on HBO.

Erotica lol. I struggle a lot with creating “romantic” scenes without cringing at every line I wrote.

Mystery. It’s just cool to read stories where readers kept guessing what’s going to happen next, but I don’t know if I’m capable of writing mystery as the main genre. I’m not that creative at making clues, and I get anxious that they would be too predictable.

Not really. I write mostly for my own imagination’s sake, and coincidentally the genre I suck the most at writing is the most popular one.

Thriller, of course :smirk:

4 Likes

I love to write fantasy stories because I have more room to write whatever I want.

Music, T.v. shows, anime, books. Anything really.

Thriller because I honestly suck at telling and writing scary stories.

Mystery. I’ve read and watched a lot of mystery shows (besides superhero shows lol). I honestly am good a mystery kinda stuff. But I have never really tried writing a mystery story, yet.

No. I like to write from my own imagination. I don’t really care for what’s trending.

Romance or action.

1 Like
    Comedy because it’s fun and I think I’m funny lol.

I’d always wanted to write in that genre and then I got a little inspired from a series that my sister was watching and started writing in it. I was also working on a story that was a little too dramatic and just wanted to write something fun so that inspiration came at the right moment haha.

I wouldn’t mind writing in any genre even if I don’t like reading stories from all genres.

Adventure. So a few already know that I’m working on a new story. It was originally supposed to be in ink and an adventure story but the story required a lot of research that I just didn’t have the time to do, specific backgrounds and overlays that I didn’t know how to create or who to ask to create them for me which caused me to lose motivation so I completely changed the story, genre and style into something I’m really enjoying writing now.

Nope.

Away from the app lol.

3 Likes

Guess :joy: I like sci-fi mostly because I love science/technology.

It’s hard to say. I always loved sci-fi tv-shows, ever since I was a little girl, so I always dreamed of writing it.

I’m not against any genre, romance is what I struggle in the most but I would like to try regardless.

Thriller! I would love to write something spine-chilling without it being too graphic.

No. What I write has nothing to do with the genre I’m in to begin with, so I just don’t care.

They need to create it first :joy:

3 Likes

What’s your favorite genre to write in? Why?
Thriller (and mystery). I love creating suspense and (hopefully) keep the reader at the edge of their seats! I also love creating twists. Thriller is also the genre that I read the most (in actual book form) so it makes sense lol.

What inspired you to write in this genre?
Episode’s Mysterious contest in 2017! Before that, I was writing a romance/drama (which was complete trash) simply because I thought I’d be better at that (LOL how wrong I was). When the contest was announced, I thought it was a great opportunity to step out of my comfort zone and try something that I thought I’d suck at. Turns out, I didn’t suck lol. My mystery stories had a thriller element, then I went more that way with the Haunted contest and the Spotlight on Love contest (I wrote a stalker thriller for a Valentines contest- and won :rofl:).

What’s one genre you wouldn’t be caught dead writing in? Why?
I don’t know actually. Before, I would have told you I’d never write a straight romance, but I’m currently writing one for another app :sweat_smile:. There might be specific niches that I wouldn’t write in, but in terms of Episode genres (including the non-existent Sci-Fi), there’s nothing that I’d avoid. I’m not sure I’d do a pure romance on Episode though.
Oh and I’d probably avoid comedy simply because I’m really not funny.

What’s one genre you haven’t written in, but want to? Why?
Sci fi. I know Episode doesn’t have a sci fi genre, but I’d like to give it a shot one day. I find it interesting, but I also think I should read more sci-fi books before attempting it :see_no_evil:

Does the trending section affect what genre you write? Why?
No, although I do like the fact that I write in less popular genres.

Your favorite genre gets deleted! Where do you move your story?
Mystery. Possibly horror depending on the story.

3 Likes

Same.

You’ve got me there. :joy:

Erotica

1 Like

cough Episode cough

1 Like

I’m really glad no one’s mentioned that the trending sections effect where they write. It makes me happy that people seem to be writing what makes them happy and inspires them :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Decided I should answer my own questions. :sweat_smile::see_no_evil:

I think it might be obvious, but I’m a sucker for romance.

I grew up reading a lot of classic books and a big part of a lot of those stories is the romance. I guess it kind of seeped into my writing life. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I honestly don’t know if there’s one I’d straight up refuse and I actually want to try and write at least one story in all the genres on episode.

Horror and thriller. I don’t think I’d be good at them, but for some reason I want to write stories in them.

I write in romance, so I’m gonna go with no. :eyes::sweat_smile:

Drama.

2 Likes

What’s your favourite genre to write in? Why?
In general, fantasy, although my favourite upcoming story is in horror.
What inspired you to write in this genre?
Fantasy - I’ve always written fantasy, less than maybe 2% of my stories are ever limited to the boring reality we inhabit. :upside_down_face:
Horror - With the story I’m writing, the original genre was fantasy, but I found it to be too focused on exhibition of troubling psychological/philosophical/existential questions to really fit.
What’s one genre you wouldn’t be caught dead writing in? Why?
Romance. I don’t write lighthearted stuff, and interpersonal relationships—especially romantic ones—aren’t really my strong suit.
What’s one genre you haven’t written in, but want to? Why?
If I stay on this app for long enough, I’ll likely write a fantasy story, and that’s really the only one I want to do but haven’t lol.
Does the trending section affect what genre you write? Why?
Nah, I write with story in mind and then sort that into a genre, rather than the other way around, and choosing a genre that didn’t accurately represent my story would feel like an insult to the story.
Your favourite genre gets deleted! Where do you move your story?
Horror got deleted - move it to fantasy.
The sequel to that one, I intend to write it in fantasy, as the novelty of the terrifying setting has worn off, but without fantasy, I’d move it to horror with its prequel.
Both horror and fantasy get deleted - My stories definitely don’t fit into any other, maybe drama just because of the emotional intensity, but they’d be a weird fit lmao.

Bonus crappy meme: my fantasy/existential horror story trying to fit in in Episode's drama shelf

3 Likes

Comedy. I guess because it just feels more natural to write something funny and light hearted.

If I really think about it, it was my first story that inspired me to write comedy. My first story was meant to be a mystery, but I got worried about guidelines so I basically took out the murder that the story was meant to be about and I just put it in drama. Tbf, a lot of events happened that justified it to be a drama story… But it never really felt like it was a proper drama. I think I just struggled to take the story seriously. Like instead of having my characters having emotions and dealing with things, they’d just jump from one situation to the next like nothing ever happened. And I would make fun of that in the story. And the more that I commented on the lack of regular emotions my characters had, the more it evolved into a comedy until I got to the point where I decided to revamp it, amp up the humour and then switch genres. It by no means the funniest story on the app, but it felt a lot more natural to call it a comedy. From there, I knew to start my next story in comedy from the get go and now I do have the funniest story on the app :smirk:

Idk. I always thought this was horror and thriller but now that I’ve grown, I would like to attempt them. I should be saying romance except I have tried many times to write romance so the whole “caught dead” bit is a lie.

I’d like to write an action story… only because the idea I have is for an action story. After I write it, I don’t think I’ll be itching to write action again.

Truthfully, the only time I look at the TS is when there’s a glitch that affects it. So no, it doesn’t change what genre I write in.

I feel like despite none of my stories having adventure as the subplot, I could still put them there and argue that the story is a journey :woman_shrugging:

9 Likes

Just reverse uno card all the people who put non-comedy stories in comedy. :joy:

4 Likes

Comedy. Because it’s fun to read and it’s fun to write.

In short: Infamous by Kayla Sloans

Horror, I just don’t like it. And probably romance, because even though I have romance included in my stories, there’s nothing romantic about them :sweat_smile: I seriously can’t imagine anything worse than a kissing scene narrated by me.

Action. The only reason I haven’t done it yet is that I think my directing is not good enough. Wait, there’s actually another reason: I don’t have the story idea either :smiley:

No.

Honestly my first thought was exactly this:

I’ve been thinking for a few days, but I still don’t have a better answer

10 Likes

Something worse: Me trying to narrate a kissing scene :exploding_head:

9 Likes
    Drama, no doubt. Why? Because my life is a huge drama sitcom. Full of plot twist, messy b*tches, and nonstop drama, lmao.

Nothing? I just like anything drama, lmao.

Well, a year ago, I would have said romance, but I have a WIP in that genre, so none.

Mystery. What’s stopping me is my seven WIP. :joy:

Eh, no. The trending section doesn’t really affect me in that way.

Mystery lol. All you have to do is add one mysterious plot device and boom! You have yourself a mystery story.

giphy

I know :smirk:

7 Likes

Definitely sci-fi/fantasy. It’s the only genre where all the crazy ideas I come up with can make sense. There’s nothing restricting what I can write, like those pesky laws of physics I’d have to adhere to in other genres. Plus I tend to do a lot of crazy world building for everything I write.

Ever since I was a kid I’d get real bored, real quick. So I’d end up thinking of ways to make that boring existence more tolerable, generally in a really weird, crazy way. This is just an extension of that I think.

3. What’s the one genre you wouldn’t be caught dead writing in? Why?
Romance… I don’t like reading it (with rare exceptions) and believe me, nobody would want to read my attempts at writing it.

Horror might be fun. Stephen King’s been a favorite author of mine since I was a little kid and I wouldn’t mind giving it a try someday. Of course, it’d probably end up being some type of horror with a fantasy spin. :sweat_smile:

No. Why should it? I write for myself more than anything else, and if people happen to enjoy and like what I write that’s just an awesome bonus.

It’d probably end up in mystery since that’s such a big part of the story as well.

2 Likes

Just don’t add the mystery plot device and tell people the real mystery is why it’s in mystery. :eyes:

I’m totally down for some fantasy horror. :heart_eyes:

1 Like