DISCUSSION: Heroic Contest

Alright, another contest discussion. The deadline has passed and entries are being read. So, how do you guys feel about the contest? The requirements? Theme? etc.

3 Likes

I liked the theme, but I felt that it was too vague and not explained well. Kinda wanted to enter last minute, but couldn’t figure out whether or not my story would even fit the requirements. :lol:

6 Likes

I was going to enter but as a author i hate adding gem choices and choices in general tbh soo i didnt enter

6 Likes

I know right, everyone was thinking it was about superheroes, like superman, etc. but it wasn’t. The Heroic Journey as well was something new. Following Campbells Journey as the guide.

3 Likes

It’s a good thing you didn’t. You make your own choices/decision. :coffee:

3 Likes

As a contest entrant:

• Nervous! I’m worried about getting reads (I really shouldn’t be checking my stats) because I’m a smol author.
  • Awkward…I don’t want people to spend a bazillion gems on my story, even though they boost my ranking. Gems are hard to come by unless you want to watch a bunch of Episode Originals.
  • Love the theme! I entered because I got a cool story idea.
  • Distracted. Internet addiction should be added to the next iteration of the DSM.
  • Excited. Writing an Episode story is not an easy task! Mad respect for my fellow Episode writers (published and unpublished).
5 Likes

I made all of mine as cheap as possible…it’s all bonus content, but I legit feel badly about one of them in Episode 3 because it’s like, “See a brief backstory about the LI!”

I just liked my story idea :cry: …alas…

3 Likes

For me:

• Procrastination
  • Finding good background/overlays
  • Easily Distracted
  • Some of my stories did fit the theme but all was fantasy so I wanted to get out of my comfort zone to write in Action/Thriller.
  • Loved the theme!
  • Gem Choices really did put a strain on me because it was hard for me to plan it on where I would put the choices. Readers don’t have enough gems. And it’s my first time using gem choices.
3 Likes

I literally have 2 episodes worth of dialog and i couldnt bring myself to charge…i doubt my readers would have anyway

2 Likes

Procrastination and I are besties.

I admittedly classified mine as sci-fi because I wanted it to stand out; I figured there would be a lot of super awesome fantasy entries, so I made mine sci-fi even though it is also fantasy.

4 Likes

Almost entered, got 2 of 3 episodes finished— and then burned the hell out of my hand and couldn’t code for awhile… So no entry for me. I like the premise but agree that people leaned a little heavy on the heroic = superhero/superhuman thing.

2 Likes

Are you feeling better?

2 Likes

Yes. My mother has an annoying habit of storing pans in the oven. And since she washed dishes while visiting, I didn’t think to double check. Preheated my oven to 400-- and then opened it to find my plastic handled pan in there. Turns out I’m super blonde and grabbed a hand towel instead of a mit and --burn.
:woman_facepalming:

I was working on a story with Ness and it was about a deadly virus that was released and the MC has to create/find a cure for his friend before she dies and discover who is responsible for endangering the public.

3 Likes

Ooh, I entered the contest as well! A few things:

1. I really like the theme and I don’t think it’s vague. Tbh I think other people kind of make contest themes like this seem vague because they’re usually fairly cut and dry prompts and then more people start entering and having ideas and then it becomes a game of “wait maybe I misunderstood the assignment here??” Or at least for me it’s like that.

2. I don’t hate the gem requirement. I’ve learned that people actually are willing to spend gems on stories and help support. I just did my best to make them gem choices worth clicking on so no one felt duped.

3. Does it feel like no one and everyone entered this contest at the same time to anyone else? It felt like there was such a small entry pool and now it’s like everytime I turn around there’s another contest entry. :eyes::joy:

2 Likes

Oh gawd, :sob: :sob: :sob:

4 Likes

0/10 do not recommend.

At least you get them for free at the cost of your brain cells and skills as a writer!!!111!!!1!!!1!1!1!1!

3 Likes

I am more interested in next contest’s theme. Will it be also gem choices required contest. What yall think?

1 Like

Hopefully not, but we probably won’t be that lucky :disappointed:

1 Like

Hope not.

1 Like

I’m not an author so I didn’t enter the contest obviously haha but as a reader holy hell it’s a nightmare :cold_sweat:

I’ve read around 20ish Heroic story entries so far and ALL of them (at least the ones i’ve read so far) are straight oozing with gem choices like it’s so bad they’re on the same level as Official Episode stories. They’re on the same level by the sheer amount of gem choices they have and the fact that they use the same manipulation tactics to try to get you to spend gems. FYI they aren’t harmless gem choices either like supporting the author or buying extra points if the story has a point system things like that but ones that directly affect the story (as in the MC can die, you can’t have a love interest, you can’t romance the love interest, you automatically have a male love interest and have to spend gems to get a female love interest too, you miss out on the plot, you miss out on getting items vital to completing the story, if you don’t buy fancy outfits and go with the free ugly version other characters will insult your appearance, your MC has an extreme disadvantage, we miss out on vital info, etc). No joke every single one of them I read I had to do a double take and go back and check to see if they were actually a community written story or not because of how bad they are with gem choices I legit thought I accidentally hit an Official Episode story.

Is having a lot of gem choices in your story a requirement to enter contests? Or is it because Episode’s stupid af ranking system is driving all of these authors to cram their story top to bottom with gem choices just to get their story out there?

Either way it really sucks. Every single one of the stories I read was amazing, sounded interesting and was really well made but the gem choices and the Official Episode story vibe they gave off 100% ruined it for me and made me drop them :woman_shrugging:t2: I only read community written stories because they’re the complete opposite of Official Episode stories but if community written stories are becoming exactly like them then what’s even the point of reading them ya know :disappointed:

5 Likes