DISCUSSION : How to Properly End a Chapter

(Related Topic : DISCUSSION: Author Notes in Episode Stories)

Hello, this is a different type of topic with some polls as well.

1. How do you end your chapter? A season? A series?
  2. How do you feel about ‘What will happen to Dara Amarie in the next episode’ type of ending?
  3. How do you feel about cliff hangers?
  4. How do you feel when authors recommend their other stories when ending an episode?
3 Likes

POLLS :

• I include information to follow me on Social Media at the end of my chapter.
  • I do not include information on where to follow me at the end of my chapter.

0 voters

• I include author notes at the end of my chapter.
  • I do not include author notes at the end of my chapter, ever.

0 voters

• I include a ‘sound’ that indicates the episode is ending.
  • I do not include a ‘sound’ that indicates the episode is ending.

0 voters

• I believe it’s obvious that the episode is ending.
  • I like my endings to be random and out of the blue.

0 voters

How do you end your chapter? A season? A series?
Most of my stories it just ends. That’s it. But I recently decided to add a splash that has all my other stories, because… self promo, why not? But before that it would just end where ever I felt was the right spot and fade to black with a t be continued thing.
How do you feel about ‘What will happen to Dara Amarie in the next episode’ type of ending?
I think these only suit certain types of stories. It reminds me of comics so I feel it suits a lot of the H&V entries, but I really hate seeing it in romance. Will Dara Amarie and the bad boy go all the way? Or will they stop kissing? Keep reading to find out! - See? It doesn’t work.
How do you feel about cliff hangers?
There is such a thing as too many cliff hangers, and people need to know when a cliff hanger ending has been overused.
How do you feel when authors recommend their other stories when ending an episode?
Well, since I mentioned I do it, I can’t say I hate it. But it does depend how they promote. If the freaking author walks on screen telling me how much it would mean if I read their other stories, it’s a no from me. But if it’s a splash, that’s fine. I like the way Amanda Michele does it in her stories. She usually only does the cover of one of her other stories so it doesn’t feel like spam

3 Likes

When someone ends a episode and then they ramble on about their other stories it drives me nuts! Especially when your trying to binge read a story. (If that makes sense) Like we know how to check out their profile, and if I think they are a great writer I’ll check it out. But I don’t need to be reminded every episode.

I think the “What will happen to ____ in the next episode?” type of ending can make it too obvious some times. Like if an author says “What will happen to ____ in the next episode?” “Will the wedding be successful?” And when the episode ended everything was great, it makes it quite obvious what’s going to happen.

I love cliff hangers, it keeps you intrigued. Now sometimes they make me stressed out because I run out of passes or there isn’t any episodes left to read, but overall I think they help make a story great.

Sorry if I sound harsh, it’s just I couldn’t word my opinion the right way so I gave up.:expressionless:

1 Like
  1. I like to end on a cliffhanger XD
  2. It’s honestly fine to write “what will happen to the MC in the next episode?” even though it is common, I think, it still keeps the reader on the edge and makes them wonder what will happen?
  3. I love cliffhangers!!!
  4. Nothing wrong with showing the other stories you published. By all means if you want to do this, go ahead :heart:

not harsh at all, I enjoyed reading your opinions :slight_smile:

It’s low key cheating if you vote and don’t talk by the way. I should low key call yall out if I could :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I don’t mind author’s notes or ads at the end, but I prefer they be kept short & sweet. I don’t want too much to slog though, especislly if I’m binging.

I like it when they include short “previously on…” bits at the beginning, but only when the story itself has a lot of complex turns or callbacks that might not be obvious. In binge reading, it’s not great, but if I’m reading the story in smal sections, it helps me not confuse it with other stories I’m also reading that might have similar characters or themes.

I think cliffhangers are a great way to keep the readers in suspense, but the “Will Ashley find her twin sister’s boyfriend’s uncle’s daughter’s husband’s brother’s wife’s grandma’s grandson’s dog’s toy” is kind of annoying due to the repetitiveness.

I’ve seen some stories where the author recycles the question - which I personally don’t have a problem with - and uses them for future episodes. But some authors just simply write the same question over and over with a couple of verbs and names replaced and it honestly just bores me.

I don’t have a problem with self-promotion but if you’re going to put a picture of you and/or your social media I suggest making it short because readers will feel like ripping their hair out if the scene is 20 beats long and the story is 30 chapters, to say the least.

I think it’s fine to promote your other stories at the end of an episode, but if you’ve written a few stories then I suggest either making one picture and adding all of your stories covers there or have each individual cover be shown for maybe 1.5-2.5 ish beats.

Ending an episode with a designated sound/music is quite delightful. It subtly tells the reader that the chapter has come to an end whilst also filling in the void background of the outro.

There’s my thoughts on the matter, I hope everybody shares theirs w/ us! :smile:

Cliffhangers are a good way to end an episode because psychologically, it’ll keep a mental loop open in the readers’ minds and they have to keep reading to satisfy their curiosity. Any good published author will use them - take a look at your favorite book and see how it’s structured. Chances are, it’ll end with a character finding a new (mini) goal to pursue or meeting a new conflict.

It doesn’t have to be a fourth wall breaking “What will happen to Dara?” Or “Will Dara be able to answer everyone’s directing questions? Find out next time!” type of cliffhanger though. That kind of takes you out of the story anyway.
It’s much more natural and, honestly, just better writing if you can set up a cliffhanger through narration and dialogue, or even through directing without using words at all.

3 Likes

I end a chapter with a cliffhanger, whether it’s a character getting shot, or death of a loved one, they always end with an urge to read the next chapter. (IMO)
How do you feel about ‘What will happen to Dara Amarie in the next episode’ type of ending?
I guess they are alright, but if the author actually writes that, I’ll exit the story. Instead of saying that, you can leave your readers in the dark. It’ll be much better. (But I’ll read to save Dara D:)
I love making them, but I hate it when somebody else does them, idk if that makes sense lol. If you’re going to end with a cliffhanger, you better update fast.
How do you feel when authors recommend their other stories when ending an episode?
Meh, if it’s an author I like, I’ll check out that story, if the first story is captivating, the second one will be as well.

2 Likes
  • How do you end your chapter? A season? A series?
    I usually end a chapter with a cliffhanger. It may not be a OMG cliffhanger, but usually something that is resolved or revealed at the beginning of the next Episode.
    I end a season with a major event that the whole season is building towards.
    I end a story with some sort of resolution. When everything is hunky dory… that’s the end of the story.

• How do you feel about ‘What will happen to Dara Amarie in the next episode’ type of ending?
    I usually post notes kinda readdressing the issues of the Episode. If it ends with a cliffhanger, I will address it.

• How do you feel about cliff hangers?
    In my opinion, cliffhangers are what keep readers coming back. They don’t always have to be cliffhangers that leave you on the edge of your seat wondering if the MC is going to live or whatever. There are different levels of cliffhangers, but I feel they ultimately propel the reader to read the next Episode or binge read.

• How do you feel when authors recommend their other stories when ending an episode?
    I have no opinion one way or another on this.

1 Like
  • How do you end your chapter? A season? A series?

I end episodes when I reach a point where it feels I have a solid ending for it. Usually, it’s either with a major plot element being revealed or with a cliffhanger. If a story is more episodic, then it’s more likely to be one of the smaller conflicts being resolved. I don’t write in seasons often, but if I did, it would be like ending a book in a series: what appears to be a major conflict is resolved, but there are still unanswered questions and other potential for future conflicts. In the case of a series/full story, the endings vary. There should be some resolution of the readers’ questions as well as some action taken toward an ending. Since this is Episode, I prefer to include multiple endings, with some being considerably darker than others.

• How do you feel about ‘What will happen to Dara Amarie in the next episode’ type of ending?

I don’t include them when I write, and they don’t do anything for me as a reader. I just tap through them.

• How do you feel about cliff hangers?

I love them, as long as there’s a solid payoff in the next episode. I don’t want to be left on a cliffhanger and then have the resolution of it be quick and disappointing.

• How do you feel when authors recommend their other stories when ending an episode?

I get why they do it, but if they’re going to do it, it’s better if it’s just a quick thing. I personally prefer to wait until the end of a story before recommending that my readers check out my other work.

I end chapters either with a cliff hanger or when it feels like they should end… of that makes sense. I don’t like it when people force cliffhangers or they drag episodes on just to have a cliff hanger though. A season should end when things have been resolved but some things are still unanswered. This is good for like mystery stories though

I don’t wrote them but I don’t mind if other people do. I don’t really care about them tbh.
I love them, especially for the first episode as it keeps new readers interested. But if you are going to use them don’t don’t makw it like who is at the door and then in the next episode we find out it’s the post man
I don’t mind as long as it’s not a new splash for every single cover and they each last 10 seconds. Maybe just say ‘click my profile to see my other stories’ or something

Hmm. For mentioning social media I give people a choice to see it or not.

Didn’t have time to fill this out earlier, so adding to my reply:

1. How do you end your chapter? A season? A series?
    I like to add cliffhangers, which I know is the popular choice. I don’t always address them right away, either, since I tend to bounce around perspective from chapter to chapter. :slight_smile:

2. How do you feel about ‘What will happen to Dara Amarie in the next episode’ type of ending?
    I don’t mind it but it’s doesn’t really seem necessary. It comes across like filler. Personally, I think it’s important to comb over EVERY line in a chapter before publishing and ask yourself, “Is this necessary?”, “What purpose does this line serve?”, and “Can this line be omitted and the story remain unchanged?”

3. How do you feel about cliff hangers?
    I love them, especially if they’re a surprise. I love when stories make me do a double-take!

4. How do you feel when authors recommend their other stories when ending an episode?
    I don’t mind it at all, but I prefer if it’s done like an add – Have an image of the cover of the story being promoted, with something along the lines of, “Check out (Author Name’s) other titles.” and only if the story being recommended is already completed.

I don’t have enough experience on this to have a credible answer, but for the story I’m working on now, I envision ending each chapter with some sort of cliffhanger, or right after a big reveal, leaving readers to wonder how the different characters will react. I think a season should end by wrapping up loose ends, but still leaving some questions unanswered, or possibly one glaring conflict unsolved. A series should wrap up everything as neatly as possible (IMO). It doesn’t have to be a happy ending, but I think we should have at least a general idea about how the characters will go on even after the story ends.
I don’t really mind these. It’s usually just a few lines in front of a splash or a blank screen, so it’s relatively easy to skip through this part if you don’t care for it.
I have a love-hate relationship with cliffhangers… Okay, I love them a lot, but I also blame them for making me stay up for three hours straight reading The Ruby Tiara. But seriously, I adore cliffhangers. Though they can be frustrating (in a good way!), I almost feel like they’re the only appropriate way to end a chapter. It kind of catches me off guard when chapters end otherwise, like on a really banal note, or when everything is super peachy. To me, that feels like an author doesn’t have more drama planned, or that they’re winging the plot as they go and have no feel for the direction of their story. Both of which may not be true, obviously, but that’s the vibe I get from a chapter that doesn’t end on some sort of drama/anticipated event/revelation/literally anything else that employs the element of suspense.
If it’s just a splash or a minimal amount of dialogue, I don’t really mind. Again, you can breeze through this part with a couple taps if you’re so inclined.

2 Likes

For me it’s not necessarily about ending a chapter, I usually end it when I feel like the next scene would better fit in the next episode. I obviously try to find the point where there is some problem or conflict in the way, but if it there isn’t, I won’t force it.
Ending a season/story is a different thing: this is where you have to make it obvious it’s an ending by closing a storyline, resolving main conflicts, revealing answers and creating new ones (especially if it’s only a season ending).

I find them unnecessary and ineffective. I’ve seen what happened so I already have those questions in my head, there is no need to emphasize them.

How do you feel about cliffhangers?
Cliffhangers are a great way to keep the reader engaged, but only if they actually make sense and help the story to move forward. Some cliffhangers like ‘OMG, someone is standing at the door’ are so overused they rather make me quit the story than wanting to continue.

I think it’s okay, but also a bit unnecessary because if I really like a story, I will check the author’s profile and if I find another story that catches my attention, I will read it anyways.

1 Like

I’m pretty surprised that most of the votes are in the 60/40 -> 70/30 range.

interesting

2 Likes

I end my chapter with a cliffhanger that’ll leave the reader with either a lot of questions, or in surprise. A season? I haven’t yet, but for something huge to happen to the MC. A series… When everything seems good, but in reality, something else is bound to happen.

I don’t mind. It’s decent, but don’t overuse it.

I actually like cliffhangers. It makes the story much more interesting.

When authors recommend their other stories, it means I’m able to discover more stories, and check whether they’re good or bad.