DISCUSSION: Illness portrayed in stories

i feel that mental illness is too romanticized in media (stories , films , shows , etc). they makes it seem like it’s an ‘attractive’ trait, per say. like the love interest is a psychopath & the main character is attracted by that or something. or the one i’ve seen regularly , where the girl (unpopular or something) has a panic or anxiety attack & the boy (popular jock) ‘helps’ her through it. i just feel as if it’s something that’s made ‘cool’ or ‘attractive’, when it’s actually serious & should be treated as such, you know?

3 Likes

I definitely agree with that it’s not something that should be look as cute or attractive looking it’s something serious and real and MANY people are affected by it. They shouldn’t use for as romantic. It show be shown as something real, raw and authentic something actually experiencing those things take a serious effort on people.

1 Like

being psycho is dangerous and it’s not something that should be look as pretty in the real world it’s scary and not like those books and movie.

Lifetime movies show that really well.
From what I watched

3 Likes

I do because it shows that others are not alone

1 Like

I agree. And that’s so amazing. My friend wrote a story about autism from experience and it’s such a cute story as it shows the disability from an angle no one has seen it before.

2 Likes

I have autism, ARFID and OCD.
If a story has a character with any of these disorders I would like to be shown how they affect relationships, hobbies, mood, time, personal image. I would like the writer to show the character getting stronger, not completely getting better very quickly.

I think I have had ARFID my whole life. I am going to a eating disorder clinic to check if I have ARFID. When I was little I was told that I choked on my first birthday cake. Little traumatic events can cause ARFID. I also had a frantic fall from a zip line and had a small bleed in my brain. I recovered quite nicely. When I was little I always refused fruits and vegetables because of the texture and taste and still do. My whole life I have dealt with stomach issues and constipation. 3 years ago I was diagnosed with celiac disease, which made it even harder to eat because I was already so picky. I was bedridden and so tired for a lot of the first year that I was diagnosed. I am doing better since my diagnosis, but still suffering from Brain fog, constipation, fatigue, depression. I look like I am healthy, but what I am hearing with ARFID you can be at a normal weight and still having failure to thrive, fatigue, depression since you aren’t getting enough of the right nutrients. My labs for my celiac are well controlled. Which make it seem that the last part of the puzzle is to try to work and get me eating fruit and veggies. All of things things do make life really challenging! I have dealt with being very self conscious and OCD about a lot of things. Hang in there and best of luck!

2 Likes

Bumping this thread because yes.