DISCUSSION: Is it bad to have too much drama in a story?

My story is filled with drama, the characters hate each other and there’s a conflict between them in every Episode. It all makes sense once you finish the story and find out why there’s so much resentment, but I do want to deliver a good quality story and maybe the readers would find the conflicts senseless in the first chapters.

So, what do you think? do you like drama in stories or do you prefer more lighthearted stories? feel free to share your thoughts on drama stories in general.

5 Likes

I don’t think so? I’m not sure. I think it’s really hard to put too much drama in a story since drama is the main appeal for most of not all stories.

But I do think it can get emotionally exhausting for the reader (since the reader is going to be emotionally invested in your story). I have felt this way from a story before. Too much drama for too long a period of time can make me burnout.

I think as long as there’s good moments in between and there’s not constant fighting among the characters 24/7 then you should be good. But I also think it’s more down to personal preferences since some people have more of a tolerant for drama than others.

2 Likes

i do like drama in stories but i also prefer to have lighthearted moments throughout all of the drama- like little moments of kindness between all of the resentment? :relaxed:

4 Likes

If you are going to have a lot of drama, you are going to need some down time. Nobody even with the most dramatic life wants it all the time and at some point show them all coming together for awhile.

4 Likes

I don’t think it’s bad. Actually, I think it’s super normal. Not all stories can have fairytale lovers or happily ever after endings, and I believe that drama is a pit more accurate to real life than any other genre. If you think it’s too much then I’d suggest you to come clear from the first chapter of the story. But for me, it’s never too much when you make you fantasy come to life. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I love drama, but when there’s too much of it, I leave the story. What I mean is that you can have one conflict solved, but literally a second after that, another problem comes up, then another, then another, and then I hate everything that’s going on, so I can’t continue. This does work in some cases, but not all. But you do you. Your story, your drama.

1 Like

If you’re writing a drama, or any genre, I think that a little drama is good. It just depends on your liking. If you want, you could ask the readers if they like the amount of drama in the story and see the results. It’s your story, have fun with it!

1 Like

That’s why I try to include personal issues too. For example, I have anxiety, I don’t fight that often with my friends but I always feel like they don’t like me and things like that. I include that topic in some stories, internal conflicts are worst sometimes…

I agree! Sometimes I feel cheesy, but most of my stories have moments of cuteness between the MC and the LI

That’s true. My life is pretty chaotic in real life, but even I have some boring or fun days without problems.

I don’t know if this is considered happily ever after, but I like justice. For example, let’s say that the MC was chased by a stalker, in the ending she will have justice and be able to overcome that. Does that mean that she will marry the LI and have kids with him? nope, because sometimes you need to sacrifice some things.

2 Likes