DISCUSSION: Is this just me?

Is it just me or do almost ALL episode stories have a line that says “Sorry for grammar mistakes, English isn’t my native language.” Are they saying it because it’s true or are at least most of them saying so they can cover up the fact they just made a mistake.

For example

Also…I don’t know if this is in the right spot .

7 Likes

Well, English speakers only make up about 20% of the worlds population so I don’t find it all that hard to believe it isn’t their native language.

12 Likes

You’re not the only one, I noticed it too.

3 Likes

Yes I’ve definitely noticed this! Not everyone has perfect grammar especially if someone isn’t English, but sometimes it sounds like an excuse.

4 Likes

Well I add that one in aswell because even though I speak perfectly english I just can’t seem to write it correctly and I find it polite to warn people about this so they can still stop reading the story if they really want a good grammar story

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s okay to make mistakes but you don’t have to cover it up by an excuse.

2 Likes

So this person made a splash about this, but couldn’t get a proofreader?

What— :skull::skull:

6 Likes

:joy:

2 Likes

I definitely think it’s true for certain writers - but like @ELx said there’s also a lot of proofreaders on here willing to help so at the same time I don’t think it’s a completely valid excuse.

Beyond that, there are specific programs that check for spelling and grammar mistakes. I probably sound biased because English is my first language - But if you’re dedicated to improving, things like this can really make a difference.

7 Likes

You don’t sound biased at all, we are writers here, we should always improve and aim for the best. Minor issues doesn’t make it unbearable, but if a story lacks basic grammar, I don’t think the author actually wants to write. /:

7 Likes

I agree. :blush:

2 Likes

ppl use it as an excuse so

3 Likes

Yeah also “this is my first episode and I’m sorry if blah blah blah” something like that

3 Likes

I’ve never noticed this. Maybe that’s just me.

2 Likes

i personally hate that. it takes away from the “i’m watching a movie” feel of the story which i love and things like that and author intros make me not really want to read them. like don’t tell us that you made a mistake, be confident in your work. reread it if you think there is a mistake in there, or have someone on the forums reread/proof read it for you. much easier than apologizing in the beginning and then having the readers either pity your writing or click off. kinda just my preference tho.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s so much of an excuse. Some Episode authors live in different countries, so therefore, English isn’t their native language. I think it’s true.

4 Likes

There are many people who don’t speak English in this world and by all means, I think that we should be understanding, respectful, and grateful that they are trying their best in a language that is not their native.

But, I have noticed there are some people who seem American or from an English speaking country that say this. The people who are from foreign countries- they often seem to put extra care into grammar, whereas the people who are faking it seem to blatantly dismiss English rules and grammar. I kind of feel like these people are ruining the image of non-English speaking people.

1 Like

It can be a truth, it can be a lie.

(Yes, I do have a point here :joy:)

1 Like

I don’t like author’s notes in general so I find this a little annoying and unnecessary but at the same time, I can understand it. I’m not a native English speaker either and it’s pretty hard to write a story in another language. It’s not really the grammar, that can be checked quite easily, but the fact that we don’t really know how to phrase something without making it too wordy and awkward sounding. Proofreaders can help with this, yeah, but it’s kindof the same as with R4R: someone is “forced” to read your story and I just don’t like that. There was a girl who started proofreading my grammar once, she read the first episode of my story then completely disappeared from the forums.

But you know… There is no need to make these excuses. I’m pretty sure that native speakers notice quickly when the author’s first language is not English and I don’t think they would stop reading a story because of some minor errors if they see that the author tried their best.

8 Likes

Do you know what I find funny? Once a non-native speaker passes a certain point, they tend to make less grammatical errors than a lot of native speakers!

4 Likes