Discussion: Lack of Originality in Stories and Characters

Well, it is a fact :unamused:. As I said before, many authors repeat the same thing over and over again. What do I mean? Mainly the stories’ main ideas - as you know, there are way too much gang and mafia stories. When authors write a story that its main idea is gang and/or mafia, they make it into a love story between a gang/mafia leader and a woman. I do not say that authors should stop writing about gangs and/or mafias, but don’t we have enough stories about these things?
In addition, the genres of Episode’s stories are always romance and drama. Must admit, I have not read all Episode’s story (and I won’t), but I read one (but I did not continue reading until the end), and after that I noticed that many of the Episode stories’ genres are romance and drama.
Episode should be more open and give opportunity for change.

3 Likes

Forgive me: I’ve never read a gang story where the writer has openly made a gang leader a psychopath. They might have some psychopathic traits or tendencies, but I don’t see a lot of writers psychoanalysing their love interests.

2 Likes

Believe me. You are not the only one who feels this way :unamused:

1 Like

And this is far away from what it is for real.
they never do such a thing. I’ve never read this kind of story too.

1 Like

And I’ve never come across a study indicating that gang leaders tend to be psychopaths either. Please point me in the right direction.

Most people aren’t psychopaths even if they have some psychopathic tendencies. Narcissists and psychopaths share a lot of traits, for one.

2 Likes

First off, I’m happy and relieved that you made this thread because you’re bringing this issue to everyone’s attention. I agree with you. Cliche is what sells in today’s society; it’s what everybody likes nowadays. It’s reality, and we can’t claim that we don’t fall into a trap of accepting cliche material at times. I do believe that people have their cliche spots sometimes; that’s just my opinion. Originality is something that is needed more in today’s society. I agree. I do believe that most people want to stay at the cliche “line” so to speak.

3 Likes

I stopped watching so much K-drama because they all started having the same plots tbh :joy:

poor girl + rich dude
poor girl punches/slaps/roundhouse kicks rich boy
rich dude is humbled
poor girl somehow has the newest samsung phone for product placement
mean mom
love
the end

3 Likes

I was watching some documents about the most famous gang’s leaders. And of course, they did a lot for the community, etc, but they always diagnosed as a psychopath. They could have a normal life, having a wife, children, friends. But they earned respect by fear, not love.

1 Like

Yes, some of the famous gang leaders might be psychopaths. But does that mean all gang leaders are? Not at all. There are plenty of reasons why someone might do bad things and not feel empathy for their victims. They don’t need to be a psychopath for that.

2 Likes

And of course, there is a lot of personality disorders.

The best example is the difference between an a-social person and anti-social.

2 Likes

Bingo

It is 100% believable that gang leaders on Episode can change and become better people. There’s no reason why they couldn’t feel empathy eventually if they’re not diagnosed psychopaths.

2 Likes

In the stories always are showed leaders from the most dangerous gangs. And I’m not talking about small gangs.

Exactly! Flip those stereotypes around. I’m sick of “all bisexuals are players” and “all mean girls are dumb blondes!” I tried to make my story as less stereotyped as I possibly could. It currently features:

Flip Those Stereotypes!

A half Chinese half White goth girl who enjoys music
A Muslim girl who loves to cook and write stories
A demisexual girl who is quarter Japanese, quarter African American, quarter white, quarter Haitian and loves reading.
A lesbian Peruvian girl who loves fashion and makeup
A South Asian girl who becomes Christian despite her parents disapproval
A pansexual Albino boy who likes Art
A bisexual Dominican basketball player
A half Korean, half Kenyan mean girl who loves to sing
A straight white guy who loves fashion and dressing in wild outfits
A Russian girl who loves fine dining and tennis

I’ll be adding more :grin:

5 Likes

If you are not diagnosed, it doesn’t mean u aren’t…

Not all of the leaders of all dangerous gangs are going to be psychopaths either. Just because some occupations draw psychopaths, it doesnt mean that all people who have that occupation will be psychopaths

1 Like

However, you also have no reason to assume that someone is a psychopath if they’ve not been diagnosed. I doubt you have the qualifications to assume. And I doubt that most writers on Episode have the qualifications to accurately portray psychopathy.

2 Likes

They don’t. Most of them stereotype :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

A lot of gang leaders have codes and love the members of their gang like family. That’s not really a psychopath.

3 Likes

If already, why authors don’t write a story about a gang leader who decides to leave his path as a gang leader and wants to change?

3 Likes