Discussion: Limelight Revamps

Let’s talk about Limelight revamps. I’ve seen plenty of these around and wanted to discuss it.

It’s no secret that everyone has a style preference. What I’ve read on the forums is that even after Limelight was released, Ink was the favourite for many (and still is for several diehard fans). But as Ink is no longer being updated and Limelight is getting more content every week, it’s clear that Limelight is now the standout favourite on Episode.

There seems to be a generational gap that’s being highlighted by this trend: reader favourites originally done in Ink are now seeing their Limelight reboots, as some older authors who wrote and published full stories in Ink are now going back and rewriting them in Limelight, often updating the directing and writing along with the new art style. I’ve seen plenty of stories that have two versions: (LL) and (Ink). Whereas most newer stories are being released straight into Limelight.

When I first started with Episode about two or three years ago it was in the weird period where Limelight was still taking its first bambi steps as an art style and Ink was starting to fall out of favour, and when I started writing What’s Your Emergency? I chose Ink because of the variety of animations, clothing, and character customisation options. Limelight has now clearly surpassed this.

A few questions I wanted to ask:

• Do you prefer Ink or Limelight and why?
  • Do you think Limelight has the variety of assets Ink does? It certainly has as many clothing/props/animations or even more but are these outfits actually useful?
  • Do you publish in Ink or Limelight? And if you’ve published in Ink have you ever done or considered a revamp into Limelight?
  • When you see a story that has been fully adapted to Limelight from Ink, which do you choose to read? And why?
  • Any Classic loyalists out there? (No shame - fly that flag!)

I am still writing episodes of my Ink story: do you think it would be worth adapting it to Limelight now, or wait until the full story is done (if at all!) ?

11 Likes
    I dont care I read classic too

• Do you think Limelight has the variety of assets Ink does? It certainly has as many clothing/props/animations or even more but are these outfits actually useful?
    Yes that is the point of new stuff it can more

• Do you publish in Ink or Limelight? And if you’ve published in Ink have you ever done or considered a revamp into Limelight?
    I only have one published story in ink. I am writing on a few in all styles

• When you see a story that has been fully adapted to Limelight from Ink, which do you choose to read? And why?
    depends. mostly I read r4r. but I would properly pick LL. because the story properly is better thought of because it is a re-writhing.

oh yeah

Do you prefer Ink or Limelight and why?: I personally prefer limelight because there is more variety in character looks than Ink. I also just think it looks better.
Do you think Limelight has the variety of assets Ink does? Not really. Ink has a lot of stuff limelight doesn’t have. Limelight has more clothes but Ink has more variety of clothes.
Do you publish in ink or limelight? And if you’ve published in ink have you ever done of considered a revamp into Limelight I’ve never published but I’m working on a Limelight story right now. If I had a published story in ink, I would revamp it into Limelight so everyone could enjoy.
When you see a story that has been fully adapted to Limelight from Ink, which do you choose to read? And why? I actually read the ink version! Idk why I just like to read the original better.
Any Classic loyalists out there? (No shame - fly that flag!)
Classic isn’t really my favorite, but I don’t hate it. :smiley:

1 Like

Ditto your feelings on the variety! While there’s nothing I wouldn’t give for the twin braids hairstyle in Ink and I prefer the character design of Limelight, Limelight has a lot of clothes and outfits that aren’t a lot of use. (Barista uniforms, I’m looking at you!)

1 Like

I started in December so I’m showing my newness lmao.

Do you prefer Ink or Limelight and why?
Limelight. I find the black lines in Ink look sloppy, and the animations look exaggerated. I still read Ink though, story over aesthetics. :woman_shrugging:
Do you think Limelight has the variety of assets Ink does? It certainly has as many clothing/props/animations or even more but are these outfits actually useful?
With the addition of the cheerleader and the military outfits, the only thing that Ink has that Limelight doesn’t that I can think of are the socks/stockings, Socks would be nice, but I can go without. The only thing that Ink has that I’m jealous of is the actual sobbing animation.

Animations

image image
“Grief consumes me, my soul is shattered” vs “Could be taking a nap on his hands”

Do you publish in Ink or Limelight? And if you’ve published in Ink have you ever done or considered a revamp into Limelight?
I just write in Limelight, for the same reason as above.
When you see a story that has been fully adapted to Limelight from Ink, which do you choose to read? And why?
Generally Limelight, unless it’s way behind and the author revamps slowly. If it’s gonna take 2 years for the author to maybe possibly finish the revamp, might as well read the Ink one.
I tried to read a Classic story and made this face the whole time: :joy: Didn’t get past the first episode.

6 Likes

Do you prefer Ink or Limelight? Why?

• I would say I prefer Limelight. But I do enjoy Ink too. I just find Limelight a bit nicer to write and read.

Do you think Limelight has the variety of assets ink does?

• It’s hard to say. Ink has more clothing, and some animationd Limelight doesn’t but Limelight is still being updated and it has some animations Ink didn’t have.

Do you publish in Ink or LL?

• I have one story in Ink one in LL. But to be honest I kinda wanna burn my ink story and make it into LL because idk it’d look better in LL and I just feel like it’s so bad and I can’t make the chapters bteer unless I try another style.

When you see a story that has both LL and ink versions, which do you choose?

• I’d probably go with Limelight.

Any classic loyalists?

• I’m not one, never liked the art style. But I mean I have no hate for it.
1 Like

INK is my favourite because I love the cartoonish look and it has the best animations.

Do you think Limelight has the variety of assets Ink does? It certainly has as many clothing/props/animations or even more but are these outfits actually useful?
As I just mentioned, I think the animations are way better than the ones in Limelight and I’m a fan of the outfits too. However, LL obviously has more stuff and I’m so jealous lol

Do you publish in Ink or Limelight? And if you’ve published in Ink have you ever done or considered a revamp into Limelight?
I published 4 stories in INK so far. One is archived at the moment and for my biggest surprise, I’m actually thinking about revamping it in LL. Episode keeps coming up with updates that would perfectly fit my story, so at this point yes, I’m seriously considering it.

When you see a story that has been fully adapted to Limelight from Ink, which do you choose to read? And why?
In this case I would always choose INK, because yeah, I just prefer that style.

Any Classic loyalists out there?
That’s not me :sweat_smile:

I am still writing episodes of my Ink story: do you think it would be worth adapting it to Limelight now, or wait until the full story is done (if at all!) ?
Tough question. It always makes me sad to see an INK story being discontinued because the author decided to rewrite it in Limelight.
But at the same time I wouldn’t blame you, because unfortunately at this point you’ll probably get more reads if you choose Limelight. I would say… if you like your story in INK, write it in INK. But if you don’t have enough motivation to continue it, maybe it’s for the best to change a few things or even adapt it to another style.

6 Likes

Q/Do you prefer Ink or Limelight and why?

:cherry_blossom:A/I prefer limelight , because I like the shapes of this style and the figures of the characters in it
I think it’s more modern and I like how are the the limelight characters are shiny and cute !

Q/ Do you think Limelight has the variety of assets Ink does? It certainly has as many clothing/props/animations or even more but are these outfits actually useful?

:cherry_blossom:A/Limelight actually has more interesting outfits and nicer ones

Q/Do you publish in Ink or Limelight? And if you’ve published in Ink have you ever done or considered a revamp into Limelight?

:cherry_blossom:A/actually, I was writing a story in Ink but I stopped
But when I returned to writing I wrote in limelight

Q/When you see a story that has been fully adapted to Limelight from Ink, which do you choose to read? And why?

:cherry_blossom:A/Limelight! I really like limelight more :rofl:

Ink.

n0.

n0.

Ink.

Any Classic loyalists out there?
wh0?

1 Like

I prefer Limelight. The animations are more realistic, and so is the appearance.

I think Limelight has a lot of variety as of right now in terms of assets, and more assets are on the way.

I publish in Limelight.

I choose to read Limelight. I don’t really like Ink. It’s too cartoonish and bland. Limelight is vivid, fluid, and realistic.

Can I be a Classic loyalist since I also prefer Classic over Ink, though I like Limelight more?

1 Like
    :arrow_right: I prefer Limelight. I was ma avid reader during the Ink phase too so I like it, but limelight is better in my opinion. I know a lot of people like how extra the animations are in Ink, but I think they’re too dramatic.

:arrow_right: I can’t answer this because I’ve never wrote in INK style, but I feel like the last few updates in limelight have been pretty useful.

:arrow_right: I answered this above, limelight all the way.

:arrow_right: I definitely choose the limelight version.

:arrow_right: Sometimes I read classic stories just to remember the good ole days. Plus their animations crack me up.

1 Like

and do you think ink is more realistic than limelight?

Ink is supposed to be cartoonish and unrealistic, yet the animations convey the characters’ emotions better than LL ever could.

3 Likes

I disagree. Limelight’s animations are a lot better than Ink’s. Ink’s animations just look dumb in my opinion.

1 Like

yes i agree with you limelight is an upgrade from ink everything looks so much better.

1 Like
    Ink, because it looks better in my opinion and it is easier to do advanced directing in.

Limelight has way more than Ink does. Animations for almost every situation, and more cute clothes and tattoos. I wish Ink was updated as much as limelight is, but it is what it is sadly.

I write in Ink. I’m not a fan of LL.

The ink version, but I check out the limelight one too sometimes.

Nah, not a fan of Classic. Tbh the boys look like brussels sprouts

2 Likes

I agree. Limelight’s animations look a bit more realistic and ink’s are kind of exaggerated imo :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I’ve heard others say it’s easier to do advanced directing in Ink, but I’ve only ever written in Ink. What is it that makes Limelight more difficult?

It’s easier to make overlays for ink. And also advanced directing looks better in ink in my opinion

2 Likes

Ink, always. It’s much better looking to me and has great animations.

Lately, Limelight has very much variety, even more than Ink. Whether the clothing is useful or not solely depends on the type of story you decide to write.

I haven’t published any stories yet, but the ones that are in the works are all in Ink. I would likely never consider rewriting or starting a new story in Limelight. It’s not for me and I openly dislike it.

Even with the possible sloppy directing and writing, I would choose to read the Ink version because I tend to enjoy Ink stories more.

I haven’t been around when Classic was the only style yet, but from the stories I’ve seen, that style scares me, so nope.

I am still writing episodes of my Ink story: do you think it would be worth adapting it to Limelight now, or wait until the full story is done (if at all!)?
Since you have already started writing the story in Ink, I think it’s best to finish it before considering rewriting it in Limelight. Remember there’s us who will always prefer to read and write in Ink.

3 Likes