Discussion: Limelight Revamps

So you have a clear preference for Ink. I’m just wondering: what is it that makes you like Ink, and why do you dislike Limelight?

I missed the last qustion

do you think it would be worth adapting it to Limelight now, or wait until the full story is done (if at all!) ? I think you should finish it. personally I would not write my story in a a second style because I have written and i have so many other ideas I rather make.

1 Like

Imma be brutally honest here, only because you asked for my input.

Limelight is an art style gone wrong to me, because 1) it is nowhere near realistic, not in its appearance and most definitely not in its animations, and 2) it has too many flaws/poorly developed assets for me to count that only make it look and work worse, and to think it was supposed to be their best and most “realistic” style yet. (Quite frankly, calling Limelight “realistic” puts the meaning of the word realistic to shame.)

The males look like they’ve skipped several arm and leg days. The females look like they’re made of silicone. Older characters look 50 and 15 all at the same time. Just the way the characters move and talk make me cringe. They’re devoid of emotion. All in all, the characters look extremely waxy to me.

Episode continues preaching how they’ve updated their tech since they’ve moved from Ink, yet with the quality Limelight has, it almost seems as if they had taken a step backwards. It’s no longer about quality, it’s only about quantity. They rush updates that end up with many incompatibilities and glitches. This is why Ink has better quality, and since I’m a big quality freak, I will prefer Ink.

There was absolutely zero need for Ink to become replaced this soon. Wouldn’t it have been better to have one fully-developed quality style rather than three semi-finished ones? Over the years, people have requested and wished for many features for Ink that are now only available in Limelight. It’s not fair to us as their creators and consumers. As a business, they should strive on customer feedback.

If you want to read more about what I think is wrong with Limelight, you can refer to this post:

This is all my opinion, and if you think otherwise, let’s feel free to agree to disagree.

3 Likes
  • Do you prefer Ink or Limelight and why?*

Ink. There is a sort of roughness and simplicity to Ink that I feel adds more character and personality. Limelight characters are too smooth and soft for my taste, and the animations are too slow.

• Do you think Limelight has the variety of assets Ink does? It certainly has as many clothing/props/animations or even more but are these outfits actually useful?

I think they’re very useful, but to me the extra customization options are secondary. While Ink will not be updated, I’d rather work with a limited palette with colors that inspire me, than one with a much wider range and very few that I want to use.

• Do you publish in Ink or Limelight? And if you’ve published in Ink have you ever done or considered a revamp into Limelight?

I only have one story in Ink, and I don’t think it would work if I tried to adapt it in Limelight. My characters were conceived with the Ink style in mind, and don’t translate well into Limelight, especially the male characters.

• When you see a story that has been fully adapted to Limelight from Ink, which do you choose to read? And why?

I always read the Ink version. Sometimes I will read the Limelight version if I love the story enough, but usually one read is enough for me.

• I am still writing episodes of my Ink story: Do you think it would be worth adapting it to Limelight now, or wait until the full story is done (if at all!) ?

As a fan of your story, I would love to see it finished first before you move on to the Limelight version, if you decide to do so. As a writer, I think it would be overwhelming to do both at the same time, especially if you’re a detail-oriented individual like myself.

4 Likes

No brutal honesty, only honesty, and that’s what I asked for. :grinning: Personally I’m pretty ambivalent about both styles (but Limelight has better hairdos) but I’ve previously wondered why people feel so strongly about one or the other.

Thanks for giving your opinions. Can’t say I really disagree with you. Limelight expressions can be a bit uncanny valley-ish. Someone earlier pointed out the difference in the male “sobbing” animations.

2 Likes

I don’t think that is fair to say, yes some LL stans may take it to far but Ink stans also have a part to play in this toxic relationship between LL and Ink fans. I’ve seen many ink fans bully artist, writers and readers for using or even liking LL. So it’s not a one sided thing, both sides need to take responsibility for their actions.

6 Likes

BBButler! Hi there! I remember you from the story message you left me, thank you again! :blue_heart:

You’re right, it’d be so time consuming to update two stories at once, and if I had to code-check the same episodes in two different versions I’d likely get sick of my own story. :laughing:

1 Like

I love both (limelight a little more though because of how much it has) :blob_hearts:

I’ve never really paid attention to this :sweat_smile:

I’ve published in both and yes if Limelight got ice skating animations, I’d def consider revamping in that style. Other than that, personally I don’t see the point in having the same story in two styles (I get it readers can pick a style and enjoy poor classic but I mean just pick one for the most part and stick with it, I say.

Usually the limelight version. Because I like the style more (reason why mentioned above).

I actually very much like classic although I’ve never published anything in it but it’s the first style I practiced and read in so it has a special place in my heart :ice_cream:

1 Like

Maybe wait until you finish the whole story in ink?

Can use the technique older authors are using:

Alright, simmer down, there’s no need to take pot shots. If you don’t like the Limelight animations, that’s fine. If @kahotshot does, that’s also fine. I’m asking for opinions here and all are valid. I’m just looking for why you have those opinions.

12 Likes
  1. I prefer LL. Nothing against Ink, just kind of prefer LL more. might be sorta biased since I’m writing in LL tho oops :sweat_smile:
  2. Couldn’t even tell you tbh, still pretty new to Episode and haven’t seen a whole lot of animations for Ink
  3. Kind already answered this one in the first question, but I publish in LL
  4. Haven’t gotten around to reading a lot of stories yet at least ones that I think I would personally enjoy, so again, I couldn’t tell you
  5. N o p e, took one look at it and decided that’s not for me :sweat_smile:

Limelight.

I personally prefer the realism of the style - thinner lines, softer shading and shadows, eyebrows have a range of colors - rather than the comic book (for lack of a better descriptor?) style Ink has with thick black lines and sharp shadows.

Limelight also really just makes it a lot easier to create people of color and diversity among family members in general. 60 skin shades in comparison to 15, the increase in facial assets and hair/eye colors… No contest for me. I even tried to recreate one of my Limelight characters in Ink once just for fun and he looked like a completely different person despite my best efforts. Normally, I’m very good at that kind of thing.

I would say yes to both. My only gripe is that there isn’t enough fantasy clothing (we’ve only had one fantasy assets release since Limelight came out :upside_down_face:), but there wasn’t a whole lot of fantasy stuff in Ink either from what I remember.

Future me will publish in Limelight. I probably wouldn’t revamp either way, just because it would bother me having two versions of the same story on my profile.

Limelight. Because if a story I want to read has been published in two or more styles, I’ll just pick whichever one I prefer reading in.

Not into the style itself, but I remember reading featured stories in Classic and I think that makes me look at it more fondly.

Whatever your preference. If you’re having trouble being inspired for new episodes, then working on a revamp might help you remember why you enjoyed writing the story and get back into the flow. On the other hand, if revamping it would feel like a chore, I’d just encourage you to keep writing in the style you prefer.

6 Likes

It’s exactly as @writingspirit said for me. What sets out LL from Ink (apart from art style) is the variety, which is why LL stands out for many people. Making a more diverse cast, that look different from each other (in comparison to the generic Ink characters) is why I prefer limelight.

4 Likes

Do you prefer Ink or Limelight and why?
Limelight. The style has grown on me and I find it more realistic and I think there’s more variety with the characters.

Do you think Limelight has the variety of assets Ink does? It certainly has as many clothing/props/animations or even more but are these outfits actually useful?
More or less. There are still some things missing (e.g prison outfits for MEN :roll_eyes::sweat_smile:), but the catalog grows pretty much weekly. INK might still have more outfits, but I think LL has a better variety of things overall, particularly in regards to facial features.

Do you publish in Ink or Limelight? And if you’ve published in Ink have you ever done or considered a revamp into Limelight?
I’ve published in both, but now I only publish in LL. I’m considering revamping one of my earlier stories in LL. The story actually needs revamping anyway since it was written before we could even upload our own overlays and it’s a story that would do really, really well with tappables and timed choices.

When you see a story that has been fully adapted to Limelight from Ink, which do you choose to read? And why?
Limelight. I prefer the style and usually a revamp is slightly better than the original, even if it’s just minor tweaks to the directing.

Any Classic loyalists out there? (No shame - fly that flag!)
Lol no. But when I first started reading on the app, it took me AGES to get used to INK. I liked classic a lot more, whereas I had no issue going from INK to LL.

5 Likes

Limelight. The cartoonish Ink features meant that there was only one ‘attractive’ face for the characters, and the other features looked over exaggerated. In Limelight you can actually have diverse looking characters without them looking awkward and alien-like.

Apart from some small things, such as socks without the shoes, Limelight has a bigger variet of assets.

I mean, I haven’t published anything at all.

I usually choose the Limelight. Since the Limelight version is newer, that probably means the author has advanced in their writing and directing skills, meaning that the story is better.

2 Likes