DISCUSSION: Main Characters

My discussion needing *ss thought of another topic. :sweat_smile:

I thought it might be cool to discuss MCs. I tried to make up questions that both writers and readers could answer. Feel free to answer all the questions, some of them, or just use what others have as a starting off point! :blush:

1. As a writer do you take a lot of time to develop the MC before hand or do you prefer to let them develop as you go along? Why?
  2. Do you prefer Male MCs or Female MCs? Why?
  3. Who is your favorite MC from one of your stories on Episode and why? If you’re a writer feel free to choose one you’ve written and if you’re a reader feel free to choose one from a story you’ve read (Or do both of you’re both a writer as reader :joy:).
  4. As a reader do you like when you can relate to the MC or is it fun to have nothing in common with them?
  5. As a reader do you enjoy MCs who are on the more quiet (shy more reserved) or on the louder side (fierce, not afraid to stand up for themselves)?
  6. As a writer do you take the role of creating an MC importantly? Why or why not?
  7. Do you write your MC or does your MC write you?
  8. How important is picking the MCs name in a story to you?
  9. Is there a side character in one of the stories you’ve written that you’d like to make an MC in a new story?
  10. What Harry Potter House would you sort your MC into?
  11. What kind of music is your MC into? Books?
12 Likes

1. As a writer do you take a lot of time to develop the MC before hand or do you prefer to let them develop as you go along? Why?
I would say I take some time to develop my MCs beforehand, but I also let them develop as I go along. I come up with their personality as soon as I create them, but I also let them develop as I develop my story.

I’m not really sure if I have a preference. I don’t really mind gender, but I do mind if the MC is likable or relatable.

3. Who is your favorite MC from one of your stories on Episode and why? If you’re a writer feel free to choose one you’ve written and if you’re a reader feel free to choose one from a story you’ve read (Or do both of you’re both a writer as reader :joy:).
My favorite MC from one of my stories would be Harry Stevens (from my first Episode story, Projection!). In my story, Harry is a college student who loves visual and performing arts. He also dreams of being a performer on Broadway. Harry is handsome, funny, friendly, and shy. Harry is often similar to me as well as someone who I would like to be.

4. As a reader do you like when you can relate to the MC or is it fun to have nothing in common with them?
I like when I can relate to the MC. It helps me understand them as well as like them.

5. As a reader do you enjoy MCs who are on the more quiet (shy more reserved) or on the louder side (fierce, not afraid to stand up for themselves)?
Depends on the MC and how their personality is written.

6. As a writer do you take the role of creating an MC importantly? Why or why not?
I do take the role of creating an MC importantly. The MC is the lead role of the story. The story is primarily going to follow them. If the MC is well developed, likable, and relatable, chances are the story will be a good story.

I would say both. I write my MCs while at the same time relating to them. I guess this is how they write me.

I would say it’s relatively important. The MC’s name can potentially describe their culture as well as who they are as a person and so much more.

9. Is there a side character in one of the stories you’ve written that you’d like to make an MC in a new story?
I have a few characters in the main cast who I would like to make an MC in the future, hopefully. I would say a side character who I would most likely make into an MC would be Hailey Mecklenburg. Hailey is one of Harry’s love interests and the 2nd character to be introduced in the story. She’s also my 2nd favorite character throughout my stories. Hailey is a girl who’s flirty, gorgeous, and has a lot of confidence. She also prefers the shy type when it comes to guys, which is why she’s attracted to Harry.

I don’t know. I’m not familiar with Harry Potter, so I don’t know the houses.

Harry is mainly into music from musicals as well as dance and pop. He also likes to read plays and musicals if they count as books.

5 Likes

Made an edit, because I somehow forgot to answer question 9. I should have answered it this time.

1 Like

Any character that’s not the MC.

1 Like

Do love interests count as side characters?

1 Like

Like I said: Any character that’s not an MC. For episode I would consider it any character you don’t “play as”.

1 Like

OK. I just edited my post again.

1 Like

I’m starting to get addicted to these topics you created lol

I try to develop MCs before I write them, but always ended up changing my mind in the midst of writing and sometimes delete a dialogue and start all over again because his/her character doesn’t match what I have in mind. Why because underdeveloped characters are one of the biggest turn-offs when I read something.

Male haha. I’m a girl, but to be honest I feel like I can relate more to a guy’s perspective. It just flows more easily, and since my MC, Chase, is very masculine and say, an “Episode traditional kinda badboy LI”, I had great fun writing from his PoV when interacting with LIs.

Jesse in OOTG by @amberose. I love male MCs when they act and think like guys because tbh a lot of stories have male MCs that feel like the normal girl MC with male bodies and this one is just perfect. Not to mention how good the story is.

Relate, definitely. It just comes to a dead end when a story not only has little to no choices, but the protagonists act nothing like how I want them to.

I’m in the middle of both. I like polite and kind MCs, but it gets annoying when they need someone to come rescue them all the time. But honestly most stories I’ve read have strong MCs and I kinda got bored :confused: especially with MC vs mean girls trope that most certainly always happens.

Not important unless it’s an uncommon and cheesy name that I don’t like to the point of tapping the exit button.

Yes! I feel like focusing on just a few characters in the universe would be a waste. I’d love to one day make a sequel with some side characters as MCs.

Chase and Liselle (from my first story: Blackbird) are Slytherins.

Chase loves detective novels as well as rock and hip-hop. Liselle isn’t particularly into anything like that. she doesn’t read books

6 Likes

I like to develop them to a certain point I come up with their personalities, morals etc ahead of time., then let them grow and change as the story goes along.
I don’t have a preference, honestly. But, I do get excited when I find a story with a Male MC because it’s not often that you find stories that are from the male perspective.

From my own stories:

Avery (S&L) because she is smart, fearless and loyal. She has her flaws as well- she’s competitive to an almost pathological degree, she’s a perfectionist, is jealous of her older sister, and definitely makes the wrong choices in efforts to maintain her “image”.
Jessie ( The Good Guys) because, out of all the other MCs, she is the one who changes the most throughout the story. There’s a lot of personal growth. I also like the fact that I have a chance to write a anti-hero hero. She’s funny, direct and doesn’t care what anyone thinks. Tbh, I write a lot of my MCs to be good role models for younger readers.
And most recently: Valeria Lopez (Blind Date)- my first attempt at a rom/com mix. She’s fierce, stands up for herself and doesn’t need a man to come in an save her. She handles her own sh*t.
Noah Hernandez- His backstory (though rather tragic) is not used by him as a reason to be a toxic d-bag. And he will do anything to protect his family/friends.

From a story I read recently:
DG from Secrets from Hell. :smiley: She’s an assassin & I love the dynamics shown through the groups of characters. Plus DG is the master of disguise! :heart:
(There are more, but I can’t remember their names. When Episode took my unlimited passes, I stopped really reading on the app and am focusing on writing my own stories.)

It depends on the story. There are some that I like just seeing the characters journey and investing in their story and others I like to be able to relate to the MC. It just depends on the type of story.
I like, not necessarily “loud”, but definitely MCs that stand up for themselves. The damsel in distress thing* has become a pet peeve of mine. It’s okay to have an MC that’s not boy-obessed, needy or “this is kary she’s shy”. (sorry, little rant.) BUT, I don’t mind MCs that are shy but have other attributes as well.
Yes, I think writing a solid background and plan for your MC is important. Otherwise, you end up with disjointed (and usually contradicting) episodes.
A little of both. I come up with the MCs name/backstory/etc. but I like to let my MCs grow and change organically because of the events that take place in the story.
I think it’s important. A name can tell a reader a lot about the MC from their nationality/culture/family to who they are as a person. (I.E. Valeria means to be strong and my MC is a strong, independent woman. and is strong for those around her.)
Lea Park (blind date) has aspirations of being an actress. There could be a story there about her journey to fame… Who knows, I might :joy:

List

S&L:
Lilith- Slytherin
Avery- Ravenclaw
Parker- Hufflepuff
Yumiko- Gryffindor
Callie- Hard to place, Slyther-indor :laughing:
TGG:
Jessie: Gryffindor
Lisette- Ravenclaw
Nick- Hufflepuff
Anna- Gryffindor
Rosalie-Slytherin
BD:
Lea- Hufflepuff
Valeria- Gryffindor
Noah- Huffle-dor (another hard to place)

I have too many MCs for this list :joy: Jessie- doesn’t care about music/theatre/dance/books (she learns how to appreciate music, etc. through her friendship with Rosalie. She sounds 1-sided when I say it like that… but no, she’s got several layers to her. She’s my favorite because of how she grows through the story.)

6 Likes

I wouldn’t say I take a lot of time, but I usually have a brief idea about his/her personality before I start writing. Everything else comes along the way.

I prefer male MCs because they are in minority, so I find them more interesting to both read and write about. I have two stories with male MC, so now I’m trying to come up with a story idea for a female MC, because I feel like it’s time.

3. Who is your favorite MC from one of your stories on Episode and why?
Aaron from Psychology 101, because he’s supposed to be a “bad boy”, but he never really does anything bad besides sleeping around and skipping classes. He tries to make it look like he loves himself the most, but he secretly has his own insecurities and he actually cares about other people.

I certainly like if I can relate to the MC. She/he doesn’t have to have the same personality as me, but if the MC does things that I completely disagree with or that make me uncomfortable, I stop reading the story.

Both, if done well. I like shy MCs, but not the type who is completely unable to stand up for themselves and accepts everything without a question. And as for the “stronger” characters, I like when they are passionate and I don’t mind if they easily get into arguments, but it has to have an actual reason. Like, the “sassy” MC who just goes around slapping people is something I will never understand :confused:

Of course, the MC is my most important character, pretty much everything revolves around them. (And Aaron enjoys this a lot haha)

It starts with me writing the MC, but after a few episodes the MC starts writing their own dialogue and they even influence the plot development. I accepted it, and I just get out of the way, lol

Not at all. I always use the default name if I have the chance.

I’ve been thinking about this, but no. After a while I usually get bored of my stories, so I make sure to finish them before this happens. Even though it would be a different story with a side character, it would still have references to the old one, so no, I‘d prefer to write something new.

I don’t know much about Harry Potter (I only read the first book), but I’m pretty sure Aaron would choose Slytherin without hesitation

I’ve never really thought about that, but I would say he likes rock and electronic music. He often goes to clubs to pick up girls, so I hope he doesn’t hate techno, I wouldn’t want to torture him :smiley: He barely knows what books are :see_no_evil:

8 Likes

Omigosh, thank you :blush: I’m really touched by what you said about Jesse :pleading_face:

5 Likes

You’re welcome :rofl:

3 Likes

I wouldn’t say “a lot”, but I do play around with their personalities before publishing and plan for how they will grow throughout the story. I’d like to think my MCs for my unpublished stories are actually pretty well developed though.

This depends on the story I guess. I don’t really have a preference.

From my own story, it kind of has to be Jesse. I feel bad because it’s win by default, but a reader-insert MC never had a chance :joy:

From another story, I think Bella from Dirty Sexy Teenagers. I thought about this for a while, before realizing that she’s one of the only characters that is so iconic I still remember her best moments and quotes despite the story being long finished.

Ah, I guess it depends on the story. I like knowing what I’m getting into though. I enjoy reading both, but depending on my mood, I either want to escape or relate.

Louder :speaking_head:

It would be weird to say no here lol. But creating them and developing them are two different things. The latter is something I felt like I lacked in, despite being complimented for my characters a lot :sweat_smile: But it’s because of those compliments that I now take the role more seriously.

My characters all share one brain cell, sooooo I write for them, thank you

So so so so so so so unimportant.

There’s probably a few I could explore in a spin off, but I have too many other new story ideas that I want to write first.

No idea. See question 6.

No idea. See question 6.

8 Likes
    I do decide on their personality traits beforehand and make sure to give them faults too so they feel more real. I also think about how I want them to change and develop throughout the story.
    My story has both and I don’t have a preference.
    3. Who is your favorite MC from one of your stories on Episode and why? If you’re a writer feel free to choose one you’ve written and if you’re a reader feel free to choose one from a story you’ve read.
    That’s really hard to pick, my story has nine MCs and I love them all a lot. But I if I had to pick a few probably Aaron, Mira, Will and Farah.
    I don’t need to relate to the MC and tbh I don’t think I’ve ever read one where I did.
    Something in the middle, I don’t like MCs that can’t open their mouth and I also don’t like the ones that are overly confident.
    I do, they are the heart of the story. I do take their personalities into consideration when I create their looks.
    Both, there were times where the conversation just wrote itself.
    It’s different with each character, if I give my MCs a certain background then I make sure to give them names that fit those, I basically research. And sometimes I like to go by the meaning of the name and if it fits the character.
    One of my MCs has two little brothers that are twins and I thought about to make a spinoff with them when they are older.
    Me and my little knowledge about Harry Potter…
    Slytherin: Mira, Conor
    Ravenclaw: Farah, Will(unsure about him though)
    Hufflepuff: Graham, Aaron
    Gryffindor: Joon, Beverly, Precious
    Will likes to read anything, Mira and Graham like fantasy, Conor, Aaron and Farah like Thrillers, Precious only reads books about fashion and Joon and Beverly just don’t read lol
3 Likes

1: not before I write. I have a document where I write things down bout about the characters. it’s easier that way for me. if you sit with a complete develop character it’s hard to adjust them to the story plot

2 females because I am female. but I dont mind male MC

3: dont know

4: we all like to relate to them. but honestly its rare I see an MC I have anything in common with

5: I prefer characters who act like the personality you give them. if you make a shy quiet character then make her stay that way (you know unleash there has been some character development) and not just suddenly an outspoken character. I often see where people make fighter girl who stands op for her self but then she get a love interest and has to be saved all the time

6: yeah I do. a bad written MC can ruin a story. and dont mean bad as she is a bit*h but as in. yu say she is this girl who always stands up for her self but then she never does it. are she is bland and robotic dosent have a personality. also, I made an entire discussion about giving a sad background story instead of personality. that is a bad written charatere too

7: qustions not understod

8 I think as the author you should give them a name, it makes them seem more real to you.

9 No

10: hufflepuff
11: old school rock and history

1 Like

I like to have a very firm idea about who the character is, how they behave, their relationships with other characters, and why they make the choices they do. I actually do this for most my characters just because it makes writing the story that much easier when I’ve already got these things figured out. Which isn’t to say that there isn’t growth throughout the story. Sometimes a character will go in a different direction than initially intended simply because I realize that given who they are they would make different decisions than I initially thought they would. And that’s okay.

I don’t really have a preference, but I find it easier to write for female MCs for whatever reason I can’t explain.

Definitely Amara from my story Eternal Oblivion. She’s so wonderfully complex. When we’re first introduced to her she seems like she’s got things figured out pretty well. But the further you go into the story, and the more you learn about her past, the more you realize there’s a lot she’s experienced over her lifetime that shaped her into that person.

For me I would say it’s far more important to understand the character than to relate to them. Even if I see myself in the character and identify with them, if they’re making decisions that don’t make any sense in the context of the story, that’s going to pull me right out of it.

I would say it depends on the story. Fierce characters who rage against the machine can be wonderful and very cathartic. But at the same time, the quiet masterminds subtlety pulling strings can be just as interesting and fun to read.

Yes, because even if you write the most amazing story ever, if the MC isn’t interesting, engaging, and/or well rounded, who cares?

I write the MC, but that doesn’t mean I can’t learn from them.

Very. There’s always a reason my characters have the name they do, usually related to the name meaning. And it’s not just the MC, but the vast majority of my characters.

A short side story with Drew might be fun. He’s definitely the type who’s always stiring up mischief.

Ravenclaw. If she wasn’t too smart for her own good there probably wouldn’t be a story. :rofl:

Bagpipes… I can’t really explain it, but it makes perfect sense. And she’d probably enjoy non-fiction books so she can learn about the things she missed, and sci-fi books so she can see how accurate they are in the future.

2 Likes

Thank you. I love creating discussion posts and reading everyone’s answers.

Same! A well developed character is so important!

This trope is just overdone at this point. :grimacing:

I think a lot of people don’t realize that shy isn’t the only characteristic a “shy character” can have.

4 Likes

Exactly, it all comes back to basic character development. If you (all) want a character to feel real, they have to have more than one trait. Just like everyone in the real world has more than one layer and can show/hide different parts of their personality depending on circumstance. Believable and relatable characters have flaws and strengths.

3 Likes

I will never get this either. :grimacing:

I felt this on a personal level.

4 Likes