DISCUSSION: Main Characters

I really like that you pointed this out! I don’t think the MC of my one story is particularly likable and yet I still have readers and people still enjoy her as an MC. I think there’s a lot to be said for interesting, unique characters instead of making all of them likable, because the reality is not everyone is going to like every character.

2 Likes

I completely agree with what you said here! I don’t think I could’ve put it into better words myself. I definitely think there’s a difference between being able to enjoy a character as a main character and having that character be a “likable” person. Likability can help, but it’s not something that everyone can agree with, and I’ve found many stories where I’ve still been interested by the main character even if I wouldn’t have considered them “likable”.

2 Likes

bump

I have multiple MCs in my story so I’ll just go with favourite one, just to answer these questions.

1. As a writer do you take a lot of time to develop the MC before hand or do you prefer to let them develop as you go along? Why?
My character development process takes very long, I want to know every detail and quirk about them before writing. I find that when writing a poorly developed character I often get stuck writing dialogue. But when I have a well developed character I know exactly what they’re going to say or do in pretty much every situation
2. Do you prefer Male MCs or Female MCs? Why?
Male MCs, I tend to have better luck writing them. And it’s fun reading stories from a guy’s perspective as I’m a girl
3. Who is your favorite MC from one of your stories on Episode and why?
Definitely Brian! He’s pretty much an overconfident conceited pretty boy with irrational feelings. He’s not the brightest, but hes a great friend when he needs to be. However he prioritizes his reputation about everything but really he just wants to feel accepted. I do write comedy, so I find that writing him is a lot of fun.
4. As a reader do you like when you can relate to the MC or is it fun to have nothing in common with them?
I like MCs that are unique, I often prefer MCs that arent like me because they’re less predictable.
5. As a reader do you enjoy MCs who are on the more quiet (shy more reserved) or on the louder side (fierce, not afraid to stand up for themselves)?
I dont like shy MCs or loud MCs. But I guess I’d prefer shy ones.
6. As a writer do you take the role of creating an MC importantly? Why or why not?
I take it very seriously, character creation and development is my favorite part of writing
7. Do you write your MC or does your MC write you?
My MCs have a mind of their own. To me I don’t feel like I’m writing them, more so just telling their story
8. How important is picking the MCs name in a story to you?
Its not, not at all. All my MCs have super basic western names
9. Is there a side character in one of the stories you’ve written that you’d like to make an MC in a new story?
Well I’m planning on doing it sometime in the future with one of my characters. Let’s hope all goes well
10. What Harry Potter House would you sort your MC into?
Huh?
11. What kind of music is your MC into? Books?
He loves dancehall, reggae, bashment, soca, all the good stuff. But he doesn’t have any favourite books because he doesn’t know how to read (he can only read music notes)

1 Like

It’s one of my favorite parts too.

2 Likes

1. As a writer do you take a lot of time to develop the MC before hand or do you prefer to let them develop as you go along? Why?
I have a fairly solid concept of them prior to writing! Some aspects are left to developing along the way.

Female, generally. No real reason.

3. Who is your favorite MC from one of your stories on Episode and why?
Jordan because she is just out there to live her best life and kick butt on the football field and show the boys what women are capable of.

4. As a reader do you like when you can relate to the MC or is it fun to have nothing in common with them?
Either! No preference.
5. As a reader do you enjoy MCs who are on the more quiet (shy more reserved) or on the louder side (fierce, not afraid to stand up for themselves)?
Both! :joy:
6. As a writer do you take the role of creating an MC importantly? Why or why not?
Absolutely! That’s who your readers experience the story through.

Dang…I have to think about that one.
I prefer to pick the name but it’s not a deal breaker as a reader.

9. Is there a side character in one of the stories you’ve written that you’d like to make an MC in a new story?
Not yet :smirk::shushing_face:

Jordan is a Gryffindor
Olive is a Ravenclaw

I should think of some for them!

1 Like

Hiii! i love answering questions hahaha.

1. As a writer do you take a lot of time to develop the MC before hand or do you prefer to let them develop as you go along? Why? I take a lot of time developing them and have a very long list with all the things i need to know about the character before i start. (I fill the list for the MC and for the LI in my case because i write romance)

2.Do you prefer Male MCs or Female MCs? Why? I think female? because i can relate to them better, but also everytime i write i try to write from the point of view of the MC and the Love interest (They actually kind of share the role of the MC at least on my stories)

3.Who is your favorite MC from one of your stories on Episode and why? If you’re a writer feel free to choose one you’ve written and if you’re a reader feel free to choose one from a story you’ve read. I’ve only written one story and i feel really close to the MC, i think we have a lot of things in common (duh i wrote her) but seriously i would love to have like a real life conversation with my MC, and from another stories, Ivy from Jaded Love by Bri, i struggled with a lot of things she was going through during the story and it made me relate to her so much.
4. As a reader do you like when you can relate to the MC or is it fun to have nothing in common with them? As i said on the last question i absolutely love to relate with the MC’s but i also like when they are very different from me, as long as they are good people and have a great personality i’m all in.

5.As a reader do you enjoy MCs who are on the more quiet (shy more reserved) or on the louder side (fierce, not afraid to stand up for themselves)? I think i don’t have a preference in here, i like them both, maybe a little more inclined to an outgoing personality.

6. As a writer do you take the role of creating an MC importantly? Why or why not? Yes, so important, because i’ve been trying to write for the longest time and i never could develop my story well and then i realized that it was because i never developed my characters the way i was supposed to, and when i implemented the list it made everything better for my story.

7.Do you write your MC or does your MC write you? Wow, this made me think, i think i write them
8.How important is picking the MCs name in a story to you? I think this is the part that takes me the longest hahaha, i change my mind about the name like every five minutes, but when i find the correct one i just kind of know it, at least that happened with Josie (the MC of my story)
**9. 1. Is there a side character in one of the stories you’ve written that you’d like to make an MC in a new story? ** Ow i think not, they are really side characters, they have like little story lines but nothing too big, idk if i could make something up for them.
10. What Harry Potter House would you sort your MC into? Josie would be Hufflepuff for sure.
11.What kind of music is your MC into? Books? Josie is into acoustic music, she plays the guitar, anything chill with a guitar is good for her, and i actually imagine her reading history books or anything that can teach her more about the things she likes.

I had so much fun answering this questions:)

2 Likes
My answers

I like to have a detailed plan of how my mc should be developed before, but if I decide to change anything for whatever reason it’s fine I’ll just develop that.
I don’t have a preference.
3. Who is your favorite MC from one of your stories on Episode and why? If you’re a writer feel free to choose one you’ve written and if you’re a reader feel free to choose one from a story you’ve read (Or do both of you’re both a writer as reader :joy:).
My favourite Mc is the one from the Infected, because she’s a strong lead female and I feel as if I don’t play as many strong females on episode considering most stories have mcs who are always saved by men.
I like having to relate to the Mc cause I don’t experiment a lot of mc’s who are like me cause for one I’m Guyanese, non binary and only attracted to females so it’s nice to see a character like me(but only in that case).

I like the fierce mc cause I’m real life I’m not fierce so it’s nice to stray from reality.

I take the role seriously cause this my universe and only I have the power to design my main character.

Hard one but my Mc definitely writes me. I could only wish to be as brave and as fierce as my mc from Shipwrecked (which is not yet out). She almost calls me out.

Very important, even though the names for most of my Mc’s are changeable, I want a name that stands out and looks nice in the script. As well as, when I’m writing a character I want her name to be pleasing.

No, cause you can practically play as every character on my story (that’s Not out yet) so it would be pointless.
My Mc Althea Hunter from Shipwrecked would be sorted into Slytherin I think. She’s clever yet smart but it’s not easy to see cause she’s a silent leader.

My Mc lowkey doesn’t listen to music or read books. She listens to the sea and the ocean waves. (She’s a Pirate afterall)

1 Like

Same. :heart_eyes::joy:

1 Like

That’s just what they want you to think. :eyes::innocent:

I can really relate to this! It’s nice to play as characters who are different from us at times. :relieved: