DISCUSSION: My Brother's Best Friend

You… you don’t?

1 Like

Nope.

Don’t get me wrong I’m not disappointed

1 Like

Hmmm, it’s still on Episode Official’s profile on my app :confused: I thought this was a sign they were deleting it for a min

1 Like
I just put my whole thing in here but TL;DR WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

Now I’m sad. :disappointed:

What the actual fuck

Okay because the eating disorder shit wasn’t bad enough :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

I mean, I definitely like stories that aren’t all sunshine and rainbows, but this is just twisted, especially from an official story. Not just the fact that it should have trigger warnings, but the way it’s presented in a trivial, non-serious kind of way. The general energy of these choices, making troubling decisions in terrible circumstances, kinda reminds me of my story tbh, difference being that my story is horror and is thoroughly presented as such. My story doesn’t have eating disorder stuff in it though, like holy crap.

It’s just hard to wrap my head around the mindset of writing this story to get money from teens, okaying it, and publishing it. Was it supposed to be this dark, and they just didn’t put the trigger warnings and Mature Themes post? Or was the entire writing and approval team just feeling extra psychologically detached that day?

^^^^^^^^^^^

4 Likes

I’ll check again but they might be beta testing

1 Like

It’s an old ink story, if that helps you find it… probs not in beta anymore lol

1 Like

You’ve summed up a lot of my feelings with this part here

2 Likes

I found it and people are Asking when’s the next episode!?

2 Likes

Welp fanmail submitted. I’m interested to see if they respond, I said they wouldn’t in the fanmail but now I’m curious

2 Likes

&& episode isnt getting any better either. you’d think that after 4 years episode would change their ways and do what they stand for and behind, APPROPRIATE STORIES, but nooo!! whenever my friends start playing episode, they are always playing the featured stories and i have to tell them to read the author stories, because in all honesty, they arent as cliche, and not as near as sensitive and disgusting as stories like THESE.

2 Likes

This story is just not okay. Episode has said multiple times that this platform has 12/13 year olds on it. Then why create a story about an eating disorder where the character lies to herself instead of actually trying to fix it.

Then they just push it aside because this is a romance story. I really don’t know how this story was okayed to be on the app.

5 Likes

Bump!

Gonna keep this thread alive until this story is removed.

8 Likes

Bump!

3 Likes

With regards to this…

I mean, I know I have A LOT of issues with this story, but I just saw they are featuring another story that has an “attempted sexual assault scene” for the sake of drama/romance and I’m so disappointed. This story has been out for years, I don’t know a single person who was okay with this scene but yet Episode is doing it again… They’re marketing themselves for teen girls but yet sending the message that- actually scenes like this send too many wrong messages for me to list here. I’m just. Idek. I am actually scared about the amount of sexual assault scenes that probably exist in featured stories that I haven’t even read :flushed: But looks like they’re going to be in the new ones too :expressionless:

10 Likes

I wasn’t really a fan of the MC. I really didn’t like her best friend, either.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’m glad someone finally made a thread about this and put into words what I was thinking because the story from beginning to end is a train wreck. It rubbed me the wrong way that Emily’s eating disorder was only there for forced angst and never actually examined or solved (it just weirdly disappears and never gets brought up again after it fulfills its purpose, if I remember right), and the attempted sexual assault scene was incredibly gross and unneeded. The reader already knows Parker is the LI and is the oh so perfect guy, there was no need to show off how amazing he is even further by having him save Emily from some random guy who only shows up to be a creep and nothing else. And it was especially irritating that the story even gave the option for Emily to let her would-be assaulter get away scot-free at all. Sexual predators should be punished, not let go.

But other than that, the story was just…boring? I guess “mediocre” is the right word for it. I completely understand the desire to see it removed from the app because of the above, but I guess it didn’t affect me as much because I just tapped through the thing for gems and nothing else. None of the characters were interesting (the only character who seemed to have depth was Parker’s troubled bipolar little brother, but he hardly got any focus), there was no real development, no real conflict because it dragged on and on and on after Parker and Emily got together…it was just dull and tedious.

8 Likes

It’s very interesting though since it was originally a Wattpad story, and judging from its content warnings, Episode seems to have skimmed the surface for this story

4 Likes

Yes! Thank you. I 100% agree with everything you just said

4 Likes

Yeah, I heard about that too. Apparently self-harm is also a theme in the Wattpad version, so that’s more incentive for me not to read how clumsily that was handled. (Is there any featured story now on Episode that isn’t a soulless version of a community story or an adaptation of a bad Wattpad story?)

7 Likes

Bumping this, in light of certain guidelines :smirk:

4 Likes