Discussion: Narrators

Narrators

Everybody uses them, but sometimes I don’t know how to make them different from other stories, and what not to do with them.

Discussion questions to get this started:
What’s a bad way to use narration?
What’s a good way to use narration?
What is your preferred style of narration?
What’s the difference between a well-narrated story, and a bad narrated story?

Anything else you want to add about narrators/narration I’d love to hear it!

Inspired by @fcukforcookies’s thread: Tips and tricks: How to make your story better!

7 Likes

I like to think that every writer has their own narrative voice, and I think that a good way to use narration is to portray the story from different angles, narration can cover multiple characters, and give insight on who they are and how important they are to the story. I also like it when the narrator seems to have a personality, like, the narrator is the main character.
I think that when narration becomes bland with no emotion to it, that is bad narration. I love it when authors give the narrator a personality, or have the narrator give their insight about what they think about the scenes…
I don’t really have a preferred style, but (again) love it when authors give the narrator a personality.

3 Likes

Ahhh this is a good topic because I think narrating in my own stories is one of my biggest weaknesses.

I don’t really like when the narration switches point of views. Like if it’s first person, stick to first person. Don’t suddenly switch to third.

Depends on the style of story in my opinion. There’s a certain style I see in comedy stories sometimes, that I like, but if it’s in any other genre I hate it. Like romance stories suit cringey descriptive first person descriptive narration, comedy suits the breaking-the-fourth wall type of narration (I’m thinking along the lines of Curmudgeon when I say this). Mystery can suit a few different styles of narration. One I find interesting it from the POV of the killer in Harp Bridge Heights for example. And I find second person narration really suits spotlight stories.

First person, where the MC characters name is at the top of the narration bubble I think… Though like I mentioned above, second person for spotlight stories.

Idk. I can’t be the judge of this. I think my stories are a good example of a poorly narrated story.
I think good narration relies on consistency. Not to say a narrator should be consistent, but like… If you start out with a certain type of narration, to keep that type of narration flowing throughout the story is what I find good. Don’t switch it on and off… like I do :flushed:

3 Likes

I agree, but I do think that there is a way to switch views, as long as you do it smoothly. You don’t want to confuse the readers by switching too fast, but, if you were using it like in an intense monologue…

Example:
Clarissa
I was weighed down by heavy guilt, shadows fell over me, the shadows of my own conscious, but before, I never realized. I never realized how much those shadows weighed down on me, wrecking the scales of my life. Permanent imbalance. It was not my friends, not my family, but, myself. It was all me. I was wrecking myself, my life, it was all because of me.

“You okay?” - Bethany

Bethany smiled at Clarissa, hoping her smile would melt her obvious discomfort.

In this context, it could be used as a break from the big monologue, a bit of a breather for the readers. It could also provide insight on what Bethany was thinking about Clarissa.

3 Likes

Actually, the way you’ve used it there makes perfect sense to me :sweat_smile: I guess though, what I’d mean is that I’d want that used throughout the whole story. I wouldn’t want you to do that for the first 4 episodes, then 5-7 is only third person, then 8 is a mix of the two, then 9-12 is first person only.

3 Likes

OOf. Yeah, I believe in planning scene by scene, it does seem a bit random and confusing when they keep switching it up like that.

1 Like

I don’t know if I would call any style of narration bad, per say, but I do think dull and on-the-nose descriptions take away from the story. For example, lots of: “He frowns at you, angry.” Lackluster action narrative in action scenes can really diminish quality too. “He dodges the punch. He hits you back. You dodge…”

For me, this can vary. I’ve liked stories with very different narrative styles before, and neither of them were better than the other - just different. I try to keep that in mind when anguishing over my own narration. :cry:

Are we talking point of view? I might be the odd one out, but for interactive fiction, I prefer second person pov.

I think well-narrated stories tend to have these qualities:

• If done in first or second person, they allow various character povs to have noticeable (but equally good) changes in narrative style. For example, maybe somebody living in the mountains will have a very different way of describing people from someone who’s lived on the coast, because their similes are based on different things. Or maybe one person’s narrative is very sentimental and eloquent while the other’s is very direct and to the point. It shows that the author understands their characters well too.
  • Interesting ways of describing action and emotion. They don’t use cliche phrases to spice up their writing, they know how to pace their sentences in interesting ways, etc.
  • Even just knowing when to “show not tell” and when to do it the other way around is a mark of good writing, in my opinion.
1 Like

OK. So it’s an awesome question, and I’m gonna add it to my thread.
This is kinda hot topic for me, because like less then week ago I decided to adapt my story for Wattpad,and yesterday already published first chapters. It’s an interesting experience, and the difference between writing narrations for Episode and for Wattpad is drastic.

Basically, to show the difference in amount of narration - numbers. I have approx. 1800 lines in my first episode, out of which dialogue lines (including occasional narration) takes around 320 lines (or sentences), and the length is around 10 minutes. To write this chapter in Wattpad it took me 4 chapters, in overall reading time of around 35 minutes. Huh? That difference.
Anyway, we don’t need this amount of narration in Episode stories because we have a lot of visuals - backgrounds, animations, characters movements, overlays etc. Basically, I think the meaning of good directing is to maximally eliminate narration. The better you direct - the less narration is needed. And it makes sense because Episode isn’t really a book. When I describe Episode to someone I usually say - it’s like a cartoon or a movie. So I would say when writing in Episode we should try our best to restrain from using narrations when describing actions. Now feelings and stuff are a different story.

OK. One of the very bad ways to use narration, that I actually saw in a few stories - is to use narration in 3rd person. IMO, this way works in books, and, sometimes in fairy-tale-type of Episode stories, but they should be used consistently all the time. You don’t see the use of 3rd person narration in movies mostly, except for some examples, like Grinch movies with J. Carrey etc., and I think you should use this principle when writing for Episode as well.

Also, excessive narration. Now, this is kinda hard to explain and measure.
A lot of authors use 1st person narrations for story introductions, and nothing wrong with that, if it used in the right way and amount. One of the things I hate seeing in Episode stories, that instantly makes me wanna exit the story is when writer basically describes literally everything about the character, her life, her family and friends. This one of the ways to make your story not interesting.

I also don’t enjoy when writers use long narrations in conversations. These narrations basically stop the conversation and characters just stand there. This in-conversation narration with thoughts and feelings of MC/POV work in books, but not in Episode stories.

Narration without visuals. Like one-two sentences is fine, but when you write a damn paragraph with the black screen - you are just lazy.

So I said about in-conversation narrations above. I’d say that a fitting use of narrations could be using them after these conversations, to describe MC emotions and thoughts during that conversation, if you want the reader to know something you consider important.

Forgot to mention. If you really want to add some excessive narration at some point, it can be very appropriately done with the art scene.

The common way is to narrate your character thoughts while some kind of exposition, like showing surroundings, or MC daily activities.

I’d say first person Point Of View. You want your reader to feel like he is playing MC - use this type of narration. I think it is one of the things to make the reader more attached to the character.
For Wattpad, that is more like a book, I feel comfortable using third person omniscient. Just seems easier for me, than the first person POV.

Well… I think I covered that. You narration becomes bad when you decide to use narration instead of animating this part. This is one of the things that makes an Episode story bad. :woman_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

I don’t like when narration states the obvious and does it blandly. Like, ‘He punches. She dodges. She punches. He ducks.’ Even if it’s told in an exciting way, it’s not really necessary.

2 Likes

Moved to Episode Fan Community since Creator’s Corner isn’t the place for discussions. Make sure to check out our Forum Tutorial for more info about where to correctly create topics, and feel to PM me if there are any questions. :wink:

1 Like

Thanks! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

A bad way to use narration is when it goes on for too long, especially since Episode is primarily visual. But a great way is to sprinkle it in only when necessary.
The difference between a well-narrated story and a bad narrated story is quantity. Usually, writers value quality over quantity, but in the case of Episode writers, the less you narrate (while still establishing necessary facts) the better!

1 Like

In terms of episode stories, do not overload your story with narration. It’s a visual thing, if I want to visualize it myself I can read a book. You can have some narration bubbles, but do not use too much. Especially in the beginning of stories.

Pretty much the opposite of bad narration.

I don’t have a preferred style really.

Good narration is minimal and only gives you the necessary things. But if a character shares their thoughts and stuff, it could pass for me. Bad narration is excessive and gives details about everything-You explain things too in-depth.

1 Like

Too much narration and too little actually showing. Like a story starting with a bunch of narration on a black screen, talking about the characters or story. Don’t! Just show me instead. It’s like starting a new video game, I don’t want to watch a long cutscene at the start before I get into the action.

It can be great to enhance what a character is feeling or thinking. Getting extra details that might be important for the readers or building on the emotions of a scene. I do, however, don’t mind narration at the start of story as long as something is happening in the background. It can be a great way of introducing the readers to the story if used right.

First person.

If you have to rely on narration to get to get the point across or use it to explain way too much details it would be bad.

Weird. I usually answer questions, but like…I don’t know how to answer this. I usually think bad narration actually comes from the voice, not exactly the words. Maybe…I just don’t find most narration bad by default? shrugs

As for a preferred style of narration…one like in the Hunger Games: no narration X’D Or like…only some slight exposition from other characters talking to each other when needed.

I try to avoid doing narration myself unless it is like…through the characters talking or thinking. Because…if I start narration, especially here, I WILL want to just…narrate the whole thing and change a bunch of shit. I have to think of Episode stories a little differently than traditional story telling.

Show don’t tell <3

1 Like