DISCUSSION : Opinion of 'Month' Shelves

Hello lovelies. I want to gather opinions of Month Shelves.

Previous Month Shelves

PRIDE SHELF, Asian / Pacific Islander Shelf, Black - Author / MC Shelf. (More that I am forgetting)

1. What has been your favorite so far?
  2. What are some future month - shelves you would like to see?
    2a. Can you name at least three stories to be on that shelf?
    2b. If you want to share more than one idea, here’s a discussion about future shelves.
  3. Are month shelves too long? (Maybe like Bi-Monthly Shelf?)
  4. Should their be a ‘daily pick’ shelf?
2 Likes
  1. I loved the black history month shelf! It was amazing and all the stories were fantastic. I also liked the women shelf but I forgot how it was called?? Anyway, some of my favorite stories were featured on this one and I just really liked the concept.
  2. I’d like to see a shelf for stories that represent Arab main characters/authors & a shelf for Jewish main characters/authors.
  3. I don’t think they’re too long, they’re special and should be up for a long time.
  4. I don’t think so, the stories won’t have enough time to actually gain readers and won’t get the spot they deserve
3 Likes

What has been your favorite so far?
The Black History Month shelf. One thing I liked with this one (which they haven’t done with the others) is that they added some more stories in the second week. I read a few of the stories on the shelf and enjoyed them all.

What are some future month - shelves you would like to see?
Um… I can’t really think of any right now. I’ll update this if I think of something good :joy:

Are month shelves too long? (Maybe like Bi-Monthly Shelf?)
I don’t think so because at the same time, there are still new weekly shelves being added during the month. These are special shelves that I think deserve to be up for a month. (I mean it’s Black History Month, Pride Month etc lol)

Should there be a ‘daily pick’ shelf?
I’m not sure what you mean by this? A shelf just for a day? In that case no because it doesn’t give readers enough time to check out the stories. Not everyone goes onto Episode daily. I think weekly is enough.

2 Likes

The Black History shelf. There were a lot of amazing stories and authors featured on that shelf, and I love how they added new stories to it.

Stories with Hispanic main characters, some that take place in Spanish-speaking countries and others where no matter where the main character lives, they still have their traditions pertaining to their culture.

No, it’s perfect so that readers can become familiar with a variety of stories.

Should their be a ‘daily pick’ shelf?
No, maybe a weekly pick.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say I’ve had a favourite, but I think the Asian/Pacific Islander shelf was the one I read the most out of… Although I don’t think they did the best job at representation with that one :roll_eyes:

I just googled to see if there were actually any months that were dedicated to anything.

• March is National Women’s History month, so that could be really empowering provided the right stories are chosen.
  • According to the reliable source of wikipedia, Feb is Gang Prevention Month, but that would be so hard to find stories for LOL.
  • Apparently March is also disabilities awareness month - I think I’d like that shelf.
  • November is Movember, so maybe a Male MC shelf but all the MC’s must have facial hair (I guess there would be no limelight stories then hahaha)

Can you name at least three stories to be on that shelf?
Let’s go with the disabilities awareness month…

1. From Zero to Hero - MC is in wheelchair
  2. See the real me - Love interest is blind
  3. …? I’m sure there are others out there, I just haven’t read them.

As long as they have a decent amount of stories, I don’t think it’s too long. I think for a shelf with 6 stories a month is pushing it. But Pride had a fair amount for a month. I do like to see the new shelf themes change over though, so it’s good that there’s the second shelf to swap around with.

Should their be a ‘daily pick’ shelf?
Not if it’s going to be 6 stories. But maybe just showcasing three random stories for a day could work? Tbh I’d prefer they do something like this with editor picks, because the editor pick shelves don’t really have a theme and I actually look forward to the themes

3 Likes
  • What has been your favorite so far?
    Black History Month
  • What are some future month - shelves you would like to see?
    Like the person above me said, we should have a disability awareness month shelf.
  • Are month shelves too long? (Maybe like Bi-Monthly Shelf?)
    It depends on the amount of stories they’ve posted.
  • Should their be a ‘daily pick’ shelf?
    No, because it wouldn’t give the readers enough time to go through each of the stories.
1 Like

The Pride Month Shelf
Disability Awareness Month (October), Hispanic Heritage Month (September 15-October 15), Seniors’/Adults’ Shelf
4. Are month shelves too long? (Maybe like Bi-Monthly Shelf?)
I’d say both are good. For Black History Month or Pride Month or similar month-long celebrations, stories should be up all month. Things like “Thrill Me” should be bi-monthly.
5. Should their be a ‘daily pick’ shelf?
No. That’s too many stories to deal with at one time, and would also require the Episode team to pick new stories every day. They can barely handle approving backgrounds and overlays as it is.

1 Like

Woman’s Shelf
I think thinks like mental health awareness and other important topics should be actual month shelves instead of just a week shelf.
4. Are month shelves too long? (Maybe like Bi-Monthly Shelf?)
If they are awareness, history, pride months, they should be a month long.
5. Should their be a ‘daily pick’ shelf?
No. That would require too much work and Episode has too much on their team.