DISCUSSION: Plot Holes

I’ve read stories where an author jumps from one storyline to another. I don’t think an author should have multiple plot holes within their story because it’ll confused their readers. I know it can be a struggle for authors to stay and stick to one plot; I think first time authors struggle with it at times. Basically, I think authors should try to stick to one plot so they want end up creating plot holes. So what do you think? Do you think plot holes cause one big mess within a story? Have you read stories where an author jumps for one plot to another? Comment down below :slight_smile:

8 Likes

i have, but it was dirty sexy teenagers which is the best comedy story ever, and it was meant to be hard to make sense of. but if it was a normal story, it’s kind of confusing for others, but not for me, unless it’s really bad.

8 Likes

Omg I love that story! Bella is highkey my idol.

1 Like

omg SAME SHE’S AMAZING

2 Likes

I don’t know. I understand if some parts of the plot are obscured for reasons (like you find it out later…ect. So theyre not supposed to make sense in the moment…) And I think it’s okay if there are some plot holes (lets be real, even big movies have big plot holes)

But like…excessively and purposefully leaving out important information is a big :no_entry_sign::grimacing:

I’d at least like to understand what’s going on :joy::joy::joy::joy:

7 Likes

@The_Corgi_Queen @lvqbrl

7 Likes

sigh my queen

1 Like

Thank you for this :joy::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart::sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

Well that’s not exactly a plot hole perse.

Usually a plot hole is when somethings just don’t connect.

For example Josh was at his grandmas house with no wifi / data on sunday, but he was texting you later that night.

4 Likes

Op I don’t know if you mean true plot holes or just that the separate story lines don’t really connect. I think those are entirely different issues :joy::joy::joy:

5 Likes

there was some story i read and was really invested in that was a romance story and then suddenly it turned into fantasy and they were all like magical people and their love was protected or something??? and i was like nope for this reason i’m out

2 Likes

That’s not what a plot hole is.

A plot hole is an inconsistency within the story’s “laws”. This could be contradicting, (eg. “Character A only likes blue flowers.” -character B later buys a yellow flower and A likes it-) forgotten storylines, (eg. “Character A is pregnant.” -the baby isn’t present or never mentioned again after 9 months of time-skip-) or flat out impossible events. (eg. -characters save the world from the meteor by stopping it with their powers once it comes down to ground-)

Of course, they do! They loosen the story’s impact and make it seem ridiculous. That’s why you need to plan a lot and ask yourself every possible question to avoid plot holes!

12 Likes

So you mean switching genres during the story. I think it’s fine as long as it is relevant to the story however it can be creative to have a typical romance in fantasy world.

1 Like

Okay, I see what you’re saying.

I think what you’re referring to is people who forget to tie plot threads at the end of their story — forget to finish up storylines that they created.

However, although plot holes are bad, I don’t think they’re ever deliberate. I don’t think anyone sits at their desk and says “I’m going to make a plot hole today”. So when you say you don’t think it should happen, I’m sure the authors will agree. They’re only human though and they’re bound to make mistakes.

Plot holes are everywhere and in almost all stories, including professional ones.

5 Likes

that is usally what happen when you start writhing with out havenig an ending

I have read that story too! I think it’s funny and bold! The character Bella is AMAZING

1 Like