Discussion: Promoting a story

It’s okay to be the answer the thread then out kinda person. Look at Amberose, she often leaves only one post in a thread but that one is so straight to the point she doesn’t need to add anything else. I won’t tag her now because I know she keeps stalking the threads though :smile:
But yeah I think discussion threads are the best and I’m always interested to see what everyone else thinks about a particular topic.

3 Likes

hmm…

I don’t really use any, I’ll try that.

Thanks x

I thought that hashtags were just for popular people.

I just try to get a word in anywhere, I may not be good face to face.

I’m very good at making an argument over the laptop though.

1 Like

You know me so well :rofl:

1 Like

Use those hashtags! I actually gained followers that way as well. Then I remind them (almost every week) to check out my story. On IG story and that stays up there for 24 hours. I’m just so burned out because it’s super repetitive.

What’s your opinion on promoting a story?
It’s great if you can get it to work for you. I tend to feel awkward promoting myself or my story. But I see nothing wrong with it. It’s a good way to get some attention and reads, hopefully. Or just to connect with other writers.

Do you have any tips to offer?
Keep posting on the forums or be active on instagram (joining discussions or using hashtags). That has helped me so far.

Do you think r4r are pointless?
I don’t do r4r, never wanted too and feel no need to do it at this point. I don’t have a lot of reads but that doesn’t bother me as I just enjoy writing for now and I love reads and readers I have so far.

Do you promote your story on other social media outlets?
I do. Mostly on instagram. I post when a new chapter is out and tend to get an uptick in reads when I do.

4 Likes

What ones should I use?

Here’s a few that I use:
#episode #smallerauthorsmovement #smallerauthors #episodelife #episoderecommendation #episodeauthor #episodenoticeme #smallepisodeauthor #episodeink #episodechooseyourstory #episodeinteractive

I use them so much that my phone automatically brings it up for me.

1 Like

Thank you so much hun

You’ve been a big help, hopefully we will get to talk again soon

xx

1 Like

You’re welcome! If you want to just follow me on IG. Mines is @eri2.0 and I’ll follow you back.

A lot of authors promote their stories the same way: through social media. For some authors, promoting their stories on social media goes well for them. while others have a hard time with it. I can speak for myself when I say this: it takes a while for my story to get noticed on social media by readers within this community. I made an Instagram account for stories last November, and it has treated me well. I’ve gained a lot of readers from it.

I don’t have an issue with R4R’s, but I don’t think someone should be forced to read someone’s story if they don’t like it…

1 Like

What’s your opinion on promoting a story?
I personally promote my story through my own social media channels (IG and Episode Social). I’ll share things like screen shots, sneak peeks and sometimes shares/screenshots from other people.
I’m not a fan of people randomly DMing me asking me to read their stories, especially if we’ve never spoken (I’ll ignore, especially when it’s such a generic message like "If you’re an author too, maybe we can do a read for read! At least read my bio!! haha).
I’m also not a fan of people posting their stories all over forum threads that have nothing to do with self promotion (I’ll make a mental note of which stories NOT to read). But I’m all for people sharing their stories on share-your-story threads (I sometimes go in and have a browse for things that look interesting) or for sharing their stories on relevant threads (e.g someone looking for specific genres/stories when their stories match that theme).

I rambled but overall, I think promotion is a good thing as it’s a way to get your story out there and it can help readers find your story.

Do you have any tips to offer?
I think getting reviews from IG accounts is more useful than r4r’s. As a reader, I often find stories that interest me from reviews plus as an author, you may get some useful feedback.

Do you think r4r are pointless?
I think they’re useful at the beginning but overall, I don’t think they’re a good strategy to get actual readers.

Do you promote your story on other social media outlets?
Only IG and Episode Social.

3 Likes

I’ve had it really tough in the past with my stories and them not getting reads

Coming onto a chat and promoting them is a great idea

I feel you… I’ve had ups and downs while promoting my story on social media because nobody knows about me. I’m a less known author, and of course, it’s challenging to get your story out there.

I’m trying to get them noticed, it’s just difficult because people are seeing them on IG but not actually reading them after

It’s like they just pity me

1 Like

I relate too much on this

In what way hun?

Sorry, I was occupied so I was not able to reply sooner.

Your reader retention is based on readers that continue your story.

lel, I have’t noticed xD I hope I’m not leaving people on read

1 Like

Hahaha! Don’t worry, I’ve seen you answer them too :blush:

1 Like