DISCUSSION Publishing before having three episodes finished

I’ve seen a couple episode stories that don’t have three episodes finished (not calling them out) and was curious what the majority thinks?

• I don’t really care
  • It’s fine
  • They should finish three episodes before publishing

0 voters

What I mean is they finish one or two episodes and fill the other episode with random lines to reach the minimum

2 Likes

It doesn’t let me publish anything without there being 3 episodes…

3 Likes

I mean they put random lines to reach the minimum amount they have to have to publish.
So technically they have 3 episodes but they are filled with random crap.

2 Likes

It is against guidelines :grimacing:
But I think it should be a minimum 3 episodes

15 Likes

I kinda fell that if a person dont have the ability to start out with 3 chapters they should not be writining . I understand people want the story out. But its better to spend more time to make it better

5 Likes

i’ve read really good stories like that so i don’t mind honestly

i wouldn’t do it since it would unmotivate me but people who have done that i’ve known of have great stories so

2 Likes

I don’t really mind. That’s what I did, mainly to get it out to the public quicker since some of my friends were really eager to read it. And I’m still working on it and it’s going well.

But I would still read a story that only has one chapter released at first.

2 Likes

Finishing one episode and having the other two locked seems pressed? Although you don’t waste a pass on episode one… I still feel like I wasting my time lol. I rather read a story with 3 episodes completely finished. And also, like someone mentioned it’s against guidelines :woman_shrugging:t4:

10 Likes

I can understand how excited the writer must be to get thier story out there, but I really do like the 3 episodes before publishing rule. I don’t think it affects the quality of the story at all but I just like to have the first 3 ready to read. That means that they have to have had some form of dedication to the story. (Not that those who publish just one are not dedicated though)

8 Likes

oh, I’ve broken this rule.

haha

I would do it again tbh because if I publish weekly that’s two extra weeks of publishing.

2 Likes

I won’t start reading any story that says “episode 1 only”, and I’m pretty sure that the majority of the readers wouldn’t either. I think the 3 episodes rule is a good idea, because it encourages authors to work on their plot before they put their story out. Since many authors discontinue their stories, publishing only one chapter makes me think that they are just testing a story without any clear intention of contuining it, so I won’t waste my time with reading it. Also, I’ve always thought that we don’t get reads for the very first episode, since it’s pass-free. If this is the case, then what’s the point of publishing it? Do these authors even know if someone reads it?

Edit: I realized that @FallenAngelNight13 might be able to answer my question :blush:

Do you get reads for the first chapter?

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure you do- provided the reader clicks out and goes to the next one (even if they can’t start it). I think it’s the last chapter that doesn’t count as reads when you’re stuck on a continuous loop.

But I could be wrong :woman_shrugging:t4:

4 Likes

@Annieways, @EliseC

I did get reads as long as they finished the chapter.

3 Likes

I finished my full story before publishing it. For me it was a lot easier personally.

1 Like

I think some people tend to not see / forget about the warnings that there’s no third episode and start it accidentally. and then what the author gets is angry readers and annoyed reviews.

1 Like

Lol sure… people can do whatever they want, I mean if you can’t publish because of approvals, that’s fine. But if you’re not really finished and can’t publish the other ones fast… you are risking your story getting removed :woman_shrugging:t2:

1 Like