DISCUSSION: Reality Stories vs. Cliche Stories

Okay, okay.

I don’t like cliche stories because of their predictable plot. We know what is going to happen since the moment we click on the story.

Personally, I would like it more if the cliche stories are introduced to us with spice. Like if some issue from reality is introduced then at least there would be something new and relatable.

1 Like

Yes, you can have creative non-fiction, but be careful with this idea. Even novels based on actual historical figures are usually fiction.

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more with you. That’s what I always say. An author can write a cliche story, but reality is a real thing; there are things happening in the real world that an author could write about. Add some reality into it so it won’t seem like a predictable plot based on the title.

1 Like

That is true, but I think if you do research, you won’t go wrong if you incorporate it into your story.

Historical fiction often uses facts that actually happened. Usually does, in fact. I suggest looking up the difference between fiction and non-fiction.

1 Like

I know the difference between the two. I’m a creative writer so I know what fiction and non-fiction means.

It doesn’t seem so, since you suggested that “cliche” stories should be labelled “fiction”

2 Likes

Also, what does being a creative writer have to do with knowing technical terms? Pretty much nothing. You don’t need to know what Chekhov’s Gun is to use it either

3 Likes

Okay I guess…

What do you mean? I am a creative writer (I’ve been one since I was 11 years old) just like EVERY author on Episode. We’re creative writers! Doesn’t matter what genre of story you write in…

Wow… apparently things escalated fast on this thread.

Just a heads up, this thread has nothing to do with fiction and non-fiction stories… I am talking about reality and cliche stories… that’s all.

I enjoy cliches in the same way I enjoy fast-food: it’s a quick indulgent fix, I pretty much know what I’m getting myself into. I know it’s going to be no different than the time. If that makes sense.

Not an Episode story, but one example I like to think of is To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before. Yes, it’s a pure movie that warmed my heart, but the moment I heard about the plot I knew they were going to fall in love for real. . Seriously. TV Tropes has an entire page of Fake Relationship plots, if you’re looking for a good rabit hole tonight.

I wouldn’t mind a reality story if romance was a backdrop, rather than the focus. I’ve been through a lot in the last few years, and I’ve been able to grow significantly from it. But there was no boyfriend to help me get there. I dated guys who were supportive of my endeavors, but everything I did, I did on my own. And that’s something I really hope authors who do reality stories to start doing.

A little bit of cliche is alright; sometimes we do have meet-cutes, sometimes we do get kissed in the rain. But if I’m reading a story I’m lead to believe is “reality,” I’d lose interest if it is the part that ends up taking a backseat. I didn’t read your story to read these monolouges about how sexy he is and good he smells. I read it because I thought I would connect with MC’s story lol.

2 Likes

Maybe this would help …

What are 3 stories on the app you consider cliche and 3 stories you consider reality?
I’m just trying to understand.

I haven’t been reading any stories on the app lately because I haven’t had the time on my heads like I used to. Hence I am a senior in high school… Unfortunately, I can’t name any off the top of my head, but I’ll say the Chain Reaction series is kind of cliche because it’s basically about gangs and mafias.

1 Like

Yeah after all no plot can be original. Everything is inspired from something but that does not mean we can’t add our own twist to it.

2 Likes

Exactly. We are all creative writers. But being a creative writer doesn’t mean you know all of the definitions. You don’t have to know the difference between fiction and non fiction to be a creative writer, though that is advised. That’s not an argument to make.

I’m over cliche stories, we need more realistic stories, support :heart:

1 Like

Okay, sure…