Discussion: Religon & Culture

I’m from Denmark. I don’t identify with any specific religion though I do find some of the Christian beliefs amazing.
I love learning about different religions and cultures as I think it’s important in order to understand why immigrants don’t always fit in immediately. Also, it gives me a lot of new perspectives on how to understand life and I think that’s wonderful.

i like the sari top in LL and i kinda want to use (like an every day outfit) it but i feel like it would kinda be disrespectful :woman_shrugging:

There is sari top in LL😑 wow
And I don’t think it will be disrespectful​:upside_down_face: I am on railway station and lots of women are wearing saries , actually my mom also wear sari everyday :upside_down_face:though it depends on if it looks good and appropriate

I didn’t know you were Indian. :slightly_smiling_face:

I am mystic person :joy:

A very mystic person. :wink:

Totally mystic :upside_down_face:

It’s really great and interesting to get to know each and everyone and where they from and their believes. Sometimes their similarities can be something you have in common with one another and that’s what I truly loved.

First off I just want to say, all my Indian people I am totally obsessed with your culture (not in a creepy way). I just love everything about it and plus watching Indian movies (bollywood & hindi) it really get me excited and of course my UK (United Kindom) people. I truly want to visit those two countries and try their food and outfits. Those two are on my main bucket list. But I’m off topic…

About My Religion & Culture

I am a proud West African Liberian girl :liberia: born (from the mother land we called) and half rise there. Until when I was about 3 years old, I first came to USA since I believe 2007 in Oakland California. Which I am currently not living nor from there. English is not my best first language. Kind of difficult when your accent can sometimes get in the way of trying to pronounce English words.

Question: Can you have two religions? If so, I am Christian and Muslim (Christian is from my dad side of family and Muslim is from my mom side of family). If you can’t have two religions then I call myself a Christian. I am sometimes struggling in my beliefs which is something I normally don’t talk about. But let’s just say sometimes I believed and sometimes I don’t. I used to be a strong believer with faith but like I said it something I normally don’t talk about.

Anyway, that’s all about my religion and my culture.

Oooh. Spooky :upside_down_face:

Hi, I’m ParkLow G.

I am a Chinese-Singaporean, living here as such. My mom’s side is Cantonese while, I’m not so sure of the dialect, my dad’s came from Penang (Chinese-Malay). I also have a Swedish-French step-dad. Maybe because of this, I kinda get more experience with the multicultural things, especially the food :smile:.
I guess technically I’m a Buddhist - at least practicing some customs like visiting temples and not eating beef products. I’m not sure on the extent of how other practicing Buddhists do things, but I guess my family’s moderate. As for beliefs, I’m … open. I’m not as enthused in the religious side of the religion if that makes sense, kinda because my family practices this ‘casually’ or we sometimes discuss the origins of religion.

Nevertheless, I love reading about and exploring other cultures, including world mythologies. Not exactly the same as religion in some cases, but they still explain what people before us (even today) had believed in.

I just want to make a correction that Mormons aren’t a denomination of Christianity. They are Christians. They are members of The Church of JESUS CHRIST of Latter - Day Saints. They believe in Christ so therefore, they are Christians, not Mormons.

Not exactly, there r slightly different beliefs from Mormons and Christians.

Bumping this : )

I am an American from the Minnesota/Eastern North Dakota region.
My dad’s family came from Norway, my mom’s father’s family came from Bohemia, and my mom’s mother’s family came from England and France by way of Canada (although if you go back far enough, they are all Normans/Norwegians anyway. XD)
Aside from a few trinkets from Bohemia and Norwegian recipes, I don’t have a much greater connection with the culture of my ancestors than most people here with the same heritage. Syttende Mai (Norwegian constitution day) is celebrated to an extent, Scandinavian flags are a common sight, and most people know a few words in Norwegian. Many older people grew up speaking Norwegian, but they are dying out.
I can’t speak for newer immigrants, but while most people here are proud of their heritage, they don’t not identify strongly with it.

Other Americans seem to view people from this area as hard-workers. ‘Minnesota nice’ is a thing. Depending on who you ask, people from this area are either the nicest, most polite people, or as very cold and passive-aggressive. In my opinion, it is a mixture of both. Unless you are a trucker, the line where swearing becomes excessive seems to be drawn much lower than in many places, and while for some people emotional outbursts are healthy and necessary, here it is better to maintain control and remain outwardly calm. If someone is mad at you, they might not blow up in your face, but you will eventually get the message–hopefully not before you have forgotten what on Earth you even did.
There is a large drinking culture too. Eastern North Dakota has some of the top American cities for drunkenness and alcoholism.
Hunting and fishing are popular because of all Minnesota’s lakes. Even people who are otherwise very left-wing will often be big supporters of gun rights and enjoy hunting.

Most peeps here are Christian (particularly Lutheran), and there is a substantial Muslim population in many communities. There are pockets of Mormonism as well.
I am a fundamentalist Christian and a Protestant. ‘Fundamentalist’ is often used in a negative way as some sort of Bible-thumping, flat-earth, guy who thinks all dancing is of the devil and rock and roll and/or homosexuality is the reason for everything wrong with the world.
It really just means someone who believes things such as the deity and virgin birth of Christ, the inerrancy of the Bible, and the death and resurrection of Jesus.
I get along pretty well with people of many different religions and beliefs though. :wink:

P.S. Although much of what I said about the culture here was negative, I wouldn’t trade it. Not everyone here is a passive-aggressive drunk, and people do place a high value on hard work and self-sufficiency, while still being willing to help each other out.

I’m a Malay-Muslim from Singapore in South East Asia :slight_smile:

I am Jewish and Hebrew, but I don’t believe in God.

1 side of my family is only Israeli, never left our land even when 3,000 years ago when my people were kicked out of our land.

The other side were to Spain and then Russia for generations, my grandpa even served in the Red Army! but even if the felt part of Russia they were still Jewish and had the “Jewish look” they suffered a lot from anti semitism.

After the dissolution of the Soviet Union my mother made “Aliyah” (Aliyah = immigration to Israel) by herself in like the age of 20?

So I still know some Russian, I know the traditions of the Russian people but I consider myself Israeli because that’s my home.

Hey anyone who are Buddhist or Hindu or any religion which has specifications for halal:

I’ve been a bit confused on which foods are typically halal or not, and which one is good or not? I feel weird being out of the loop

Halal is from the Islamic religion haha :smiley:
Sure no worries I can give you a guide.

Halal is not just confined to foods but in all areas of life as well but here let’s just discuss about food. Yay food!

Halal in terms of Food

• Fruits & Vegetables
  • The normal sea creatures like fishes, squids and crabs (just to name a few)
  • Animals such as Chicken(Poultry), Cow and Goat are halal IF they are slaughtered in the correct manner ( because the correct manner enables animals to not suffer pain unlike electrocution, those machine grilling things…yah… & the correct way allows all the blood to be removed out of the animal before the butchers take over. Stagnant blood is a medium for diseases. This is to ensure humans don’t consume food that would allow us to be prone to diseases.)
    -Usually in Muslim countries or even in Singapore, we have a Muslim body authority that governs and looks into the food industry. They will thoroughly inspect, double check the foods to see if it meets the Halal specifications and will put a small Halal chop logo at the packaging like that.

Not Halal in terms of Food
-No Pork (absolutely no pork 100%) (This will never be halal) (because no matter how much we cook or burn it, pork has innate diseases that doesn’t die and this will result in multiple diseases in humans such as colon cancer,)

• No Alcohol. No Beer. etc (nope nope nope 100% nope) (Because the negative effects(mental, emotional, physical and spiritual) are overwhelming and will eradicate any good effects.)
  • The No Pork no lard words does not mean it’s halal. Need to thorough check if it is. But mostly just stay away from it just to be caution.
    -No eating of wild animals (like the vicious beasts like Tiger; Shark…you name it) because you can think of it this way (and also for me easier to explain)… You are what you eat. And no one would want to eat…that… shivers
  • If a person is sick from something for example diabetes…then sugar is a no for him. etc.

This are just a few of them. Hope it helps.

Oops, lol to me.

Thanks anyways! I really don’t know how somehow I got Buddhist diet and halal mixed up, especially since I eat pork. Again thank you.

I am a proud, patriotic American. My dad’s mom came straight from Sicily, but I think his dad has always been in America. My dad doesn’t talk about him a lot. My mom’s family has been in America for much longer, but our ancestors are from mostly Germany. I’ve got mostly German, Sicilian, some more distant Saracen/Moors that’s just a given if you’re Sicilian at all, Italian, Native American, and many other small portions of other historically white European.

My Granny was pure Sicilian, making me 25%. This part of me has affected me most because I lived with my dad and related with my dad much more than my mom. He taught me everything his mom taught him about cooking authentic Sicilian food. We used to have a tradition where we made spaghetti every Sunday. We say very awful things to each other in Sicilian, lol, and then the rest of me is literally a stereotypical American, I think. Some people will disagree with me that I’m not so stereotypical, but I catch myself. Lol

Being Texan has influenced me more, I think. Texans do some weird things, not just in how we talk, but like our driving habits and just the things we expect from people that other people don’t ever think about. When we say “tea” we expect sweet tea, every time. Some people ask, and we’re like…uh? What is this unsweet tea you speak of? XDXD Even if I’m drinking hot tea, man, it needs sugar. When the fiddle starts, you gotta clap and tap your foot. I am a stereotypical Texan, too. XD

I am Christian, very religious most of the time, and Jesus has saved me. Even if not physically, you really don’t have to believe in Him, the idea enough of Him is enough to keep me alive, so yay for me!

Legit, my dad looks...almost exactly like this depiction. We might be more of Saracen ancestry, in that case?

@loveyourself I have a question about your religion just out of curiosity. If Muhammad is depicted anywhere in art, is it offensive only if he has a face or is it offensive no matter what? If it is, can I ask why?