Discussion: Religon & Culture

Hello! Black Muslim over here! :grin:

3 Likes

I am part Russian , mostly Latvian and raised in a Catholic family. However, I was born in England and still live there now . I also don’t believe much of the Catholic religion . I’m more focused on animals and nature than humanity which has lead me to be obnoxious with the whole religion thing and different genders , races and so on. So I’ve missed a load of points in this world but that made me treat everyone the same : leave me be, I leave you be .

5 Likes

I’m American and Jewish and so is my current living family, but all generations past my grandparents were from eastern Europe, specifically Lithuania, Romania, and Russia. So yeah, we’re pretty much full eastern European Jews. Also, fun lil snippet, I have some DNA from the people of the Caucasus Mountains, which are in west Asia, and it makes sense because some photos of my great-grandparents and further back show them looking almost Middle-Eastern or even Indian, and though I’m white, my skin is a few shades darker and a little yellower than most white people I know, who are descendant from western Europe.

I grew up always going to synagogue and learning Hebrew and all that jazz American Jewish kids do, but I never felt religious. I guess I’m agnostic, like I don’t know for sure that there isn’t a god of some sort but I don’t really have any reason to believe there is either.

I, along with a lot of my other family, consider myself culturally Jewish. I “celebrate” the holidays (in quotes because it’s just a family tradition, we don’t hardcore celebrate), I eat Jewish foods and meals, and being Jewish was something that I was born as, and it’s a part of my identity, whether I’m religious or not.

4 Likes

I was born in a Christian family, not overly religious, but still. My grandma was teaching me to pray, and that kind of stuff, which I was doing for some time. I never really questioned anything or thinking if it is right or not, it was like common knowledge for me, at least how it was presented to me. When at school we were studying other religions, it all seemed to me not like studies, but like fairytale discussion.

When I was around 14 I was forced (yep, that’s the right word) to attend Sunday school kind of thing, where one lady was teaching me and my brother the Bible and all the Christian beliefs etc. That’s the moment when I started to think. Everything she was telling me didn’t make any sense, and I was asking a lot of questions, and answers that I received weren’t satisfying. They didn’t make sense as well. I kept that tiny bit of skepticism for a few years until I started to research religions by myself.
At first, I was researching other religions, thinking that maybe they will make more sense to me, but it didn’t happen. Then I started to listen and read physicists, and some philosophers and scientists about atheism, and it kinda spoke to me. I was listening to these scientists about Christianity mostly, but I applied it to other religions as well.

At this point in my life I’m still listening to both sides, more about atheism tho, but still. I guess I feel like I never should really stop researching this subject, because it is a great thing to do, to constantly puzzle your mind with these questions and search for more. I would say I don’t believe in any god/gods, and although I keep the possibility that I am wrong, inside I’m very sure that if this god exists, there is not a religion to represent it on Earth, not now, and never was.

I stopped going to church, once I got balls to tell my family that I don’t believe, which was a kinda hard thing to do, and if someone starts talking about it, and I’m forced to say something, I am definitely judged, not to the point where it buggers me but still. I don’t pray, I don’t participate in any Christian rituals, like Easter traditions or Christmas. The only exception is weddings, where I perform parts of the rituals that are required by the wedding rules, but it doesn’t really bother me since I don’t put any meaning in them. I also avoid discussing religion with my family, since nothing good or constructive comes out of this.

4 Likes

Hi! Well I’m English, and I’m an atheist.

I think I found the right word :

NON-THEIST! :heart_eyes:

1 Like

slightly off-topic maybe, but when i was pretty young, i used to think that the gods from all religions existed and lived up in the sky :rofl: so allah chilled with muslims, god with christians, and so forth — kind of like greek mythology in a sense, i guess?

anyway, i grew up in a muslim household, but i lean more towards agnosticism / atheism. not that i’d ever tell my parents, since they’re very religious.

7 Likes

I thought God lived in the sky as well when I was a kid lol :joy:

1 Like

I still look at the sky sometimes asking why God why! :joy::joy:

I did that as well, still do but in my religion, God is not present in the sky (this is what my mom says) but I do it because I’m so used to doing it :laughing:

1 Like

I’m Australian, born and raised, with British heritage. I was raised Christian, but am now a christo-pagan. Which basically means I believe some christian beliefs and some Pagan beliefs.

Bump! :smile:

I just wanna say thank you for your comment, I love you a lot :joy:

I admit I was nervous typing it and worried about posting it (yes, I know I didn’t have to but a part of me wanted to share) and you made me feel so much better. Your kind words really made my day <3

Sometimes people don’t like me when they find out about my religion, but you were literally so supportive and didn’t change your opinion about me.

I don’t feel that nervous anymore :sparkling_heart:

Just keep being your awesome, unique self :kissing_cat:

Also, every religion in the world is amazing ^^

2 Likes

Agreed! Theology is just bomb ^^ Honestly, I feel like religion is something people believe because it helps them. How’s that ever a bad thing ^^’ Especially when you involve some research! True, some people use the religion wrong, but what about the people religion helps? I don’t think we should hurt those people just because some other people use the religion as an excuse for evil T.T

Also, why would people not like you when they found out your Sikh??? What’s wrong with that?! Must not know much about the religion, LOL And thanks to you, now everyone here can really learn a lot from it and jump off from your information!

I love you, too Jem <3 <3 <3

It makes me happy that people say this sort of thing to me, XD Ya know what it makes me feel like?

2 Likes

I used to be ashamed I believed in god. But now I’m a proud theist. My so called friends mocked me for believing in god and I lied I was an atheist to stop getting teased. Now i believe in god and pray every night.

1 Like

Wow, that’s really rude. It’s totally fine to believe in God and getting mocked for it is just awful. You should never be ashamed for your beliefs and if people mock you for it, they’re not smart enough to realize that if you’re gonna judge someone, it should be on personality.

2 Likes

Hello. I was born into a Ethiopian Jewish family, who immigrated to Israel, so I am Ethiopian-Israeli. I got a religious education with the Ethiopian culture, but not all my brothers are religious. You can say that I am observant, but not totally (I do not wear skirts in my everyday life).
I used to go to the local Ethiopian synagogue with my mother and late grandmother. We have always prayed in Amharic (I sometimes prayed in Hebrew), but nowadays they pray in Amharic and Hebrew (for the new generation who knows only Hebrew :sweat_smile:) in the synagogue.

I was educated to respect every human being, regardless of his/her religion and thank god for everything I have and I do not have. But, hey, I also learnt to believe and stand up for my own values and thoughts.

2 Likes

wow

same

I agree with you :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, in today’s world, many people are ashamed to embrace their religions. I can only speak on the Christian side of this because I’m a Christian. I know some people don’t want to tell people they are Christian because of the amount of hate they’ll receive. I don’t try to hide my Christianity, but I won’t speak about certain things that will cause people to want to start an argument with me. You can’t really argue with anyone’s beliefs when it comes to religion.

1 Like

I noticed some of the things that you have said before and they were pretty homophobic. I think you experienced hate because you were offensive, not for no reason. :face_with_raised_eyebrow: Especially with what you said about women too, despite you being one.

4 Likes