DISCUSSION : Reviewing Stories (Others & Your Own)

I guess I’m slowly making my way back into the community, and figured the best way was to start with a Discussion

Backstory of the Topic

I’m coming up to about a year, when I decided to start reviewing stories. I’m getting close to about two-hundred reviews and I’ve been reflecting on my reviews. It’s cute to think that some of my earliest reviews are like really intense. Not like rude or blunt, but searching for errors. When I first started I read up to five episodes. Now, I realize there are so many elements to a story that when I review a story I’m not as intense… but three episodes. I’ve started wondering how do other authors review stories, like what do you look for?

Others

1. How do you review stories?
    1a. Live thoughts, template, points, random, only looking for stuff the author requests?

2. Do you review Anonymously or through PM or Publicly?

3. What do you focus on the most?
    3a. Spelling / Grammar? Directing? Plot?

4. What’s your process like?

Your Own

1. Have you ever had your stories reviewed?

2. Do you prefer reviews to be Anonymously or through a PM or Publicly?

3. What do you want reviewers to focus on the most?

3 Likes

are your reviews still open?

Nope, I’m taking a bit of a break to write my own stories :slight_smile:

1 Like

oooooh! omg good luck! happy writing! :grin::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

I use my instagram account to give quick, public reviews/recs of stories that I highly recommend and enjoy. These are not formal reviews, but my personal thoughts on stories I think deserve a spotlight.

I focus mainly on why someone should read the story–aka the story’s appeal and strong suits. This can range from characters, plot, the overall vibe, and the effects the story had on me as a reader.

I try to explain why I love the story, why I recommend it, and what to expect from it. But I mainly focus on what I enjoyed from the story the most and what to take from it as a whole. I try to list things that are unique to the story or aspects of it that would make someone want to read it.

3 Likes

Hi, I don’t know where to post this but I need advice. I love Episode stories where your choices matter. And where there are multiple love interest and drama and that sort of thing. I read the only one and why me, they’re my favorite ones. But I need more like them. Thanks for any advice

Hello & Welcome to the forums.

I found a thread which might have some stores that are multiple-LI, drama and choices matter.

How do you review stories?
Live thoughts I should trademark at this point

Do you review Anonymously or through PM or Publicly?
Well, I have a thread, but if someone wants it via PM, that’s fine too.

What do you focus on the most?
It really just depends on the story. I’m usually all over the place but I do like to cater my reviews for the level the author is at. I’m not going to hold it against a first time author if they don’t use overlays, for example.

What’s your process like?
Messy and unorganized… But I get told I’m detailed and helpful so that’s nice

2 Likes
    1a. Live thoughts, template, points, random, only looking for stuff the author requests?

I usually make a template to keep myself organized.
I try to give the authors as much feedback as I can

1. Do you review Anonymously or through PM or Publicly?

When I first started reviewing it was through the thread, then I started PMing

1. What do you focus on the most?

I focus on everything, grammar, directing, backgrounds, plot, character devepment.

1. What’s your process like?
    I’ve been told I’m very detail oriented

Your Own

Yes

2. Do you prefer reviews to be Anonymously or through a PM or Publicly?

Publicly, mostly because I want the exposure for my story :joy:

1. What do you want reviewers to focus on the most?
    [/quote]

Literally everything they, If it’ll make my story better

1 Like

How do you review stories?
I take notes down as I reading it.
Do you review Anonymously or through PM or Publicly?
I give them that option.
What do you focus on the most?

I’m not an expert at spelling or grammar.
But I focus on all of it.
What’s your process like?
Unorganized lol… (absent minded at times)

Your Own
Have you ever had your stories reviewed?
Yes.
Do you prefer reviews to be Anonymously or through a PM or Publicly?
Either way is fine by me. (no shame in my game :joy:)

What do you want reviewers to focus on the most?
Everything. Spelling mistakes, punctuation mistakes and ways to improve.

2 Likes

Wow, what is your insta? I’d love for you to review my story.

What is your insta?

Liyah.Episode

1 Like

My insta is @rozozzy however, I don’t accept review requests at this time. For now, it’s just a little side hobby I do for fun to recommend stories that I like. Maybe in the future I will start doing formal reviews!

1 Like

With grading sheets.

2. Do you review Anonymously or through PM or Publicly?
Usually publicly, but I don’t mind sending in pm.

3. What do you focus on the most?
Every single detail of the story.

4. What’s your process like?
I take screenshot of story, write in sheet story details (author, title, genre etc), than I read the story and afterwards I grade.

Your Own

Almost every story of mine was reviewed by others.

2. Do you prefer reviews to be Anonymously or through a PM or Publicly
Publicly.

3. What do you want reviewers to focus on the most?
Everything. I’m very sensitive if I see they write I have no overlays, when in fact I have them too much. (Example)

I started grading with sheets as soon as I joined this community and I think I was its pioneer.
Many copy the vision, but they can’t copy the inner process.
Grading covers around 100 questions for every chapter and even if reviewer would want to influent with its own perspective, that’s not possible.

Grading sheet is upgrading every now and then, because I listen to both the writers as to reviewers. The basic grading gives almost all points if story covers the basic directing, has good use of backgrounds, while choices are optional, they give additional points… like tappables etc.
At the end reviewer can slightly increase or decrease the total result by giving its own subjective valuation.

That’s for reviewing stories. You can check how my team grades on IG episodehope.

I have also grading sheet for edits and for contest stories - all are different.

I need to start my reviews again.