DISCUSSION : RP / SG section rules

Don’t move this, as low key this just affects us RP’rs.

Hello! Upon a survey posted March 28, 81% of us want a Discussion Thread for RP / SG section rules. While this is ideally a Discussion Thread, the loving - author - typesalot - RP fan @Cam has made an anonymous rules suggestion doc. (I personally would rather have them posted here, but I guess some would rather have an anonymous discussion starters.)

And please — pleaaaaassseeee DON’T like a post if you agree. Comment that you agree or reply on why you agree. (and like after you reply <3)

bump ~

@Cam do we have any responses yet?

Indeed we do, here are all suggestions we have so far:

These are all the suggestions we’ve gotten, I know there are some repeated ideas, but I want to let everyone discuss about these before setting anything down

And here is my opinion in each one of the rules:

This would be impossible for us to make. However, I want to inform you all that I am organising all the threads we have in a spreadsheet so we can see RPs separated from SGs, and from RP/SGs, and we can also see which ones have sign ups open

Well, it is basic human decency to respect the creations of others. I won’t say that we can’t have opinions in which RPs are better, we all have our own opinions. However, downright saying that something is better than other without any constructive criticism or help in any way is completely unnecessary in my eyes

Agreed. Agreed 100%. Each person has their own characters and they’re the ones who can control them, no one else. If the creator gives someone permission to control the characters BEFORE they control them, then it’s okay, but you should still try to keep it to a minimum, respect other people’s properties.

Agreed. Again, you have to respect other’s creations, it’s as simple as that.

Again, I agree. There are people who are not comfortable with some scenes. I think we all know that these forums are frequented by younger people, and out of respect for them, we should take care of what we portray.

I am super biased in this one because it always takes me avery long time to reply haha, but I agree. Not everyone has the time to be online 24/7 and to reply. And we all love RPing, so it is unfair if people are not given the chance to interact because it took them too long to reply.

Yes. Please do. This helps us avoid the clutter and lets creators know 1) if their ideas are developed enough to begin an RP and 2) how many people are interested in it before creating the sign ups.

I feel like this one depends on the SG creator, but I do know that most people like SG threads to be neat and organised, so it’s only the story. So yeah, I agree.

Agreed. Please do this. I know in the old forums we had the comments in which we could talk in ORP without specifying it, but we don’t anymore, and it’s confusing (and quite tiring imo) to read an entire ORP/OOC conversation, interrupting the RP

Again, this one depends on the creator of the RP/SG. But most RPs have specific roles or a limited amount of spots, so reserving is really important in this.

Yes. Agreed. Most reserves work on a first come, first serve basis, and we should all respect the fact that someone already reserved for the spot we may have wanted. And definitely not sign up for an already reserved spot.

Agreed 100%. I know how much effort people put in RPs, I know that most people have big plans for their RPs, and the creators have a plot in mind, so that creative process should be respected. If it’s not your RP, too bad, you cannot control where it’s headed.

Please. Even though we love creating drama IN the RPs, real drama is tiring and annoying. Respect should be always there, basically because we are all human beings who deserve it. And if there’s a problem with a person, sort it out personally, we don’t want to be involved in it.

I feel like this one is a bit too vague, and I somewhat disagree. Sure, having two identical RPs is dumb, but sometimes you can have a magic school plot that is entirely different from another magic school plot, and both should be given the chance to exist. So… I’d change this one to : be creative with your RP plot.

Agreed. This only causes drama and fights, and I want none of that in our community. We can’t be friends with everyone, that’s just not realistic. But that doesn’t mean we can take opportunities away from them.

Yes. Please use the DMs! Again, no one wants to be involved in drama that does not affect them directly, that’s tiring.

Agreed. I said it before, and I’ll say it again. Respect people and their creations. And criticism is only received if it’s constructive. Negative criticism is useless.

I wrote a pseudo essay is this topic in which I think I left my position clear, no need to repeat all I said there.

Again, there are very young people here, we have to respect that and to make sure we are all comfortable with the content we create

Agreed. I said it already, we are all human beings deserving of respect.

Same thing as before.

Please do. That guide is super useful. And we’re working on the RP mentors to help in case anyone has questions or doubts.

Agreed. We don’t want to see many threads about the same thing, it’s unnecessary. Unless your RP has a sequel that needs a different thread or something similar, please don’t make more than one thread per RP.

Agreed 100%. Godmodding is terribly annoying and it takes a lot of the enjoyment out of the RPs. I said it before, everyone has limited control over the RP, and making a character that can solve everything simply by existing makes things boring.

Yesyesyes! I mentioned it before, we can’t be active all the time, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be given the chance to interact.

Agreed. This is very confusing, and I find it quite disrespectful to the people you’re RPing with.

Okay, that’s a large list. For now, I am going to pick the first five and open up for Discussion. Warning, if you don’t participate we might conclude to an idea that you don’t like. So tough cookies, you didn’t participate.

1. Add subcategories. So there’d be a subcategory for Sign-Ups, RPs, SGs.
  2. Not saying that your roleplay or story game is better than another story game or roleplay thread!
  3. Controlling other people’s characters and/or Roleplays should never be allowed in any way, shape or form (E.g. Controlljng their emotions, their actions, how the respond to a situation, whether they like your character or not etc.) without explicit permission (The original owners of the Roleplay have this permission to some extent to keep the RP in motion but again to an extent)
  4. You are only allowed to adopt someone’s idea if they give explicit permission or has been gone for X amount of time.
  5. Swearing and sexual scenes and any other inappropriate, if allowed at all by the owner) must be kept to a minimum or be skipped/hidden out of respect for other people.

1. I believe this suggestion can’t be done. In the past we have tried to split the categories, but being honest this isn’t really an RP website, it’s more of an Episode website. However, someone who is active / won’t ever go away could create a thread with ‘active RPs / SGs’ , ‘sign up RPs / SGs’ , ‘dead RPs / SGs’ But now that I think about it, you can only edit for a short period of time, so maybe like a monthly / biweekly thread?

2. Uh, I’m pretty torn on this because like there is RPs better than others. Like, I know I get praised alot for ‘good’ Rps but I’ve only had like two (in my three years on the forums) that have lasted longer than a month (NOTE : some go on forever, but it’s just me and one other person.) Obvi, I’m not saying you can go out and completely reck someones idea, but I don’t know if we should ban saying some rps are better than others.

3. Oh yeah, this is pretty much a given. I am pretty ageist that, and if someone controls my character I won’t ever approach you in any RP. However, at the same time. I’ve hosted at least 10 rps where some type of control was allowed, and I mentioned that at the start, and forced the RPers to let the other person know. I currently just ask for permission in an ORP which works pretty well.

4. Yeah, the only issue is in the case of @/micheal and @/ylpison and various other RP’rs they vanish for like four months, then return. (I didn’t mean to sound stalkerish.) So, we should agree on a time - frame. I’m thinking like . . . a month? Unless they said they are leaving then like immediately. But for ideas of active people, yeah, ask for permission.

5. I never minded swears, and use them if the person I am chatting with uses them, regardless of owner - rps rules. I haven’t come across a sex scene, but usually it’s just like okayyy time skip after the third kiss or so. But I believe sex scenes could violate forum guidelines … so yeah

1. It is impossible for us to add categories, and this is not a role-playing site. Therefore I consider this irrelevant.

2. I see the point behind this, but it could easily get out of hand. Perhaps changing the wording to something more like “Don’t publicly attack or make excessive negative comments about someone elses RP or SG” would be better.
    Otherwise you get people complaining about every little thing someone says that might imply that one RP is better than another.

3. I think the level of godmodding allowed should be up to individual creators, every creator should state what is or is not allowed in the original post, and everyone should ask permission before controlling another person’s character in any way.

4. I have nothing to add to this.

5. This is reasonable.

Bump

:clap::clap::clap: If y’all don’t contribute: Cam ~ Cricket and I will make all the rules :clap::clap::clap:

Discussion Topics at the Moment

1. Add subcategories. So there’d be a subcategory for Sign-Ups, RPs, SGs.
  2. Not saying that your roleplay or story game is better than another story game or roleplay thread!
  3. Controlling other people’s characters and/or Roleplays should never be allowed in any way, shape or form (E.g. Controlljng their emotions, their actions, how the respond to a situation, whether they like your character or not etc.) without explicit permission (The original owners of the Roleplay have this permission to some extent to keep the RP in motion but again to an extent)
  4. You are only allowed to adopt someone’s idea if they give explicit permission or has been gone for X amount of time.
  5. Swearing and sexual scenes and any other inappropriate, if allowed at all by the owner) must be kept to a minimum or be skipped/hidden out of respect for other people.

Cam, Cricket ->

Follow up Questions.

1. ()
  2. Add : ‘Don’t publicly attack or make excessive negative comments about someone elses RP or SG’ sounds perfect Mistress Cricket . . . ?
  3. Add : ‘Permission for controlling (emotions, actions, response) characters MUST be asked for before the action takes place.’ . . . ?
  4. What is a good length to adopt an idea? (If they mention they are leaving forever and / or vanish from forums) . . . ?
  5. We are at a disagreement. SWEARS : I personally don’t mind swears, and if they help the character ‘rp’ better so what. However, I do know that some of the Rp’rs don’t like swears. Perhaps a default Max for general rps, then that can be changed based on the individual RPs? Also in the general, a rule about *** or BLURR swears. SEX SCENES : again, maybe a Max amount limit set by the community, then that can be changed by each individual RP . . . ?

@Cam , @Cricket_Master

I’ve no objections to that. :smirk:

29fp6p

Yes.

I cannot really say. I am fairly new to the forums and believe this should be left to those who know what happens.

I think that as long as everything is well within Episode guidelines (regardless of whether Epiosde writers follow those guidelines or not), it should be determined by the individual role-play.
Naturally, nobody should be allowed to write explicit sex scenes, and it is reasonable to expect people to censor profanity with dashes, spoilers, or asterisks.

Sounds great to me

Agreed

Depends. If the original owner has announced that they will be leaving forever, then it could be right away. If they said they’re taking a forums break, I’d say a month or two of not showing up after the break should be over. If the owner just randomly disappeared, I’d sat two or three months.

I’m cool with swearing, most people know I swear a lot irl haha. I don’t know if max for swears could work, I think simply censoring it would be enough.

I agree with Cricket:

So maybe it could simply be managed with little time skips?

Okai —

Update :

1. If Original Owner has Publicly Announced they are leaving the forums, you can adopt their ideas instantly. If they say either a forum break, or randomly disappeared give two months before adopting their ideas.

2. Swearing in Roleplays is up to the Owner of the RP, but must be kept in the Episode’s sites Guidelines. Sex scenes in Roleyplay should be non - explicit or skipped all together.

NEXT FIVE ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

1. Wait until a certain time has passed or until given permission to ditch a character
  2. Submit your ideas in the New Ideas thread before making an RP or SG
  3. Do not post on SG threads
  4. Use ORP or OOC and the hide details or spoiler functions for comments that are not your characters
  5. Reserve before signing up

1. I usually don’t ditch a character due to how many characters I play with. But, I am thinking maybe a 50 hour rule Min. (2 1/2 days) because life does get in the way.
  2. I remember when I first joined the forums there was an ‘idea post’ then ‘sign up post’ then the official RP. I really support this idea. I don’t know if this means ALWAYS, but I assume it does. I’ve never not made an RP. I I will support if the suggestion means ALWAYS.
  3. Duh
  4. I noticed that other threads use the Sign - Up thread for ORPs, but personally I never minded them. I guess I can start to hide / blurr them but I rather not. Indifferent about this idea.
  5. Yes, I don’t know where reserving came from because it wasn’t always a thing, but I’m fully supporting.

1. This is reasonable. There could be a universal minimum amount of time, and individual creators can choose to lengthen it as they see fit.

2. I support this.

3. Generally, yes, but some creators might like to see people’s reactions. I think it should be left up to the creators.

4. ORPs should be marked in some way, but whether they must be spoiled, hidden, posted on a separate thread, or left alone should be left up to the creator.

5. This should be left to the individual creators. Some RPs have open sign-ups through their duration.

I’m late, but here to join the discussion. :3

1. Wait until a certain time has passed or until given permission to ditch a character

I like this suggestion. Cricket has written my opinion on this already so I won’t repeat it.

2. Submit your ideas in the New Ideas thread before making an RP or SG

Support! Not only will this free up the thread clutter, it’ll also advertise your idea(s)and may persuade the ones who didn’t see your RP/SG before to join. Some people don’t have time, so this saves the trouble. (An add on, I prefer when someone posts all of their ideas at once instead of spamming them.)

3. Do not post on SG threads

Most SG creators would probably agree with this, as it keeps the topic cleaner. However, I think there are several exceptions, like if they would rather people post their characters’ reactions on the thread, or they had a question, or if they wanted to compliment the writing, and etc. Generally, it’s a yes, unless otherwise stated by the SG creator.

4. Use ORP or OOC and the hide details or spoiler functions for comments that are not your characters

Please, use ORP or OOC. The hide detail or spoiler functions should be optional if the RPers have no problem with it, but it should be strongly recommended. (Another add on, if it’s a continuous conversation in ORP/OOC, take it to the sign up thread or PM?)

5. Reserve before signing up

If it’s an RP or SG where space is limited (EXAMPLE: Queenstrial, Captives Of War, Blackwell, etc.), yes, because it can lead to future conflicts. However, if it’s a free for all sign up, I don’t think you need to. I think this is another strongly recommended thing, that ultimately should be left up to the creators.

NEXT FIVE

• Respect reserves
  • Respect the owner of an RP and do not take the lead on the plot unless given permission to
  • Be nice to your fellow RPers. Be respectful at all times, and do not drag people into problems that are not theirs (eg: tagging people to back you up)
  • Do not make duplicate roleplays (Eg: Do not create a find the murderer plot if there’s already one of those)
  • You cannot exclude others or kick others out of an RP or SG unless 1) you’re the owner and 2) you have obvious reasons to do so (they’ve broken too many rules or something similar)

1. Of course.
  2. 100% yep
  3. I haven’t seen this, and I am sorry this has happened to someone. Yeah, this shouldn’t be happening. I believe something similar is a forum rule.
  4. Yes . . . but I need to explain why. If an RP starts that you wanted to join, you can always adopt. Adopting characters means less work for you anyway, plus you can always modify the character a bit.
  5. Sure.

These all sound good to me, and I’ve nothing to add. :man_shrugging: