Discussion: Seizures

Anyone here who experience seizures/have Epilepsy?

I want this place to be where we can discuss Epilepsy and anyone who experiences seizure like activity and their experiences.

QUESTIONS OR IDEAS ABOUT TOPIC TO DISCUSS:

How do you deal? What goals do seizures prevent you from accomplishing? How does medication affect you? What kind of seizures do you experience? What are more symptoms of seizures for you or generally?

If you don’t have seizures, what are your conceptions about them?

What are things you think you can do to help a person experiencing a grand mal siezure?

WHAT NOT TO DO WHEN SOMEONE IS HAVING A SIEZURE (www.cdc.gov)

• Do not hold the person down or try to stop his or her movements.
  • Do not put anything in the person’s mouth. This can injure teeth or the jaw. …
  • Do not try to give mouth-to-mouth breaths (like CPR). …
  • Do not offer the person water or food until he or she is fully alert.
Myths about Epilepsy (http://www.epilepsy-ohio.org)
  1. You can swallow your tongue during a seizure.
    It is physically impossible to swallow your tongue.
  2. You should force something into the mouth of someone having a seizure.
    Absolutely not! That’s a good way to chip teeth, puncture gums, be bit or even break someone’s jaw. The correct first aid is simple. Gently roll the person on one side and put something soft under his or head for protection from injury.
  3. You should restrain someone having a seizure.
    Never use restraint! The seizure will run its course, and you cannot stop it. Simple first aid to prevent injury is best.
  4. Epilepsy is contagious.
    You can’t catch epilepsy from another person. Period.
  5. Only kids get epilepsy.
    Epilepsy happens to people over age 65 almost as often as it does to children age 10 and under. Seizures in the elderly are often the after effect of other health problems like stroke and heart disease.
  6. People with epilepsy are disabled and can’t work.
    People with epilepsy have the same range of abilities and intelligence as the rest of us. Some have severe seizures and cannot work; others are successful and productive in challenging careers.
  7. People with epilepsy shouldn’t be in jobs of responsibility and stress.
    People with seizure disorders are found in all walks of life and at all levels in business, government, the arts and other professions. We aren’t always aware of them because many people, even today, do not talk about having epilepsy for fear of what others might think.
  8. With today’s medication, epilepsy is largely a solved problem.
    Epilepsy is a chronic medical problem that for many people can be successfully treated with medication. Unfortunately, treatment doesn’t work for everyone, and there is a critical need for more research.
  9. Epilepsy is rare and there aren’t many people who have it.
    There are more than twice as many people with epilepsy in the U.S. as the number of people with cerebral palsy (500,000), muscular dystrophy (250,000), multiple sclerosis (350,000), and cystic fibrosis (30,000) combined. Epilepsy can occur as a single condition or may accompany other conditions affecting the brain, such as cerebral palsy, mental retardation, autism, Alzheimer’s, and traumatic brain injury.
  10. You can’t die from epilepsy.
    Epilepsy is still a very serious condition and individuals do die from seizures. Experts estimate that prolonged seizures (status epilepticus) are the cause of 22,000 to 42,000 deaths in the U.S. each year. In a major study of status epilepticus, 42% of deaths occurred in individuals with a history of epilepsy.
  11. You can’t tell what a person might do during a seizure.
    Seizures commonly take a characteristic form and the individual will do much the same thing during each episode. Behavior may be inappropriate for the time and place, but it is unlikely to cause harm to anyone.
  12. People with epilepsy are physically limited in what they can do.
    In most cases, epilepsy isn’t a barrier to physical achievement, although some individuals are more severely affected and may be limited in what they can do.

Tag people to help with spreading awareness so people who suffer from seizures can trust that if they were to have a grand one, they can trust that they’ll be helped in the best way possible.

9 Likes

This is very helpful!
I have never experienced a seizure before but it’s good to know how I could help someone if they did! :heart:

2 Likes

I have a mild form of epilepsy, where I luckily do not have to go on medication and seizures are very rare. My seizures also are less extreme than what usually is the case, and mostly just involve severe light-headedness, loss of body control and puking. They only really last for a few minutes for me and the last one I had was all the way back in 2016. I don’t have movements or anything like that, so all in all I’m quite lucky with how badly it affects me. I have secondhand experience with how devastating an epilepsy seizure can be. It’s definitely a sickness not to be trifled with. Glad to see you’re trying to put a bit of a spotlight on it and educate people!

1 Like

I had Epilepsy. but it wasent like “real” Epilepsy. it was manifested because of bullying, and my depression, and as I got better it got less frequent. until it stopped. never took medicine

also I never had a seizure while been awake I always got them while sleeping

I have witnessed grand mal and other seizures on my own child.

Grand mal happened during sleeping, all other seizures while he was awake.

I hope I never again witness grand mal. :cry: It was heartbreaking.

For other seizures that happened while he was awake, I must say that he was always aware of what is happening.

I had seizures myself when I was younger, but since no one witnessed, I wasn’t diagnosed and I never got pills. So I helped myself by not allowing it to take over my body. I fought it.

After my son had grand mal, I taught him to fight it. He tries his best. I believe he’s now healthy and he won’t have seizures again. That’s also doctor’s prognosis after eeg tests.

We’re taught that in grand mal, we need to put the person on the floor, on their side, and make sure they don’t hit their head.

Some older people believe that is good to give them a metal spoon in their hand. I don’t about it, we never tried. :heart:

2 Likes

Thanks for the imput!

I’ve had seizures when I was younger, luckily never had them in public, usually in my sleep or right after I get up. If I’m awake I’d first I’d get a cramp in my leg and then that pins and needles feeling and then that would quickly escalate to a full on seizure.

I was pretty young then so I don’t really remember the medical details but I know it had to do with deficiency. I’ve always been underweight, I think that was also the problem but I had to take supplements (more specifically calcium) and drink more water to stop them from happening.

I dont experience any now, from time to time I’d start shaking for no more than 2 seconds in my sleep but that’s about it

I take seizure medication daily to prevent it from happening. I never had any seizures except for that day after an 18 hr brain surgery. I just remember waking up at rehab going to the bathroom and my grandma guiding me to my bed afterwards i guess I blacked out that moment since I don’t remember actually laying down. I woke up 2 mins after when a paramedic was checking my pupils I’m like am i having surgery? He’s said no, you just suffered a seizure… im like oh, ok. Lol so weird

1 Like

The medication I take for my Epilepsy makes me feel kinda tired lol. Does it have that affect on you as well?

I take keppra and I do feel a bit tired after taking it but it’s not that bad.

I take Levetiracetam as well.

1 Like

Yeah I can’t even pronounce that lmao. I just say Keppra.

My experience
don’t have epilepsy myself, but a lot of my students do. most have tonic clonic and are pretty pronounced. i usually know if they are going to have one, because their behavior is so different from their usual. when a student starts having a seizure, I get them on the ground, roll them to their side (usually they vomit during), and start timing - it depends on the plan but after a certain amount of time if the seizure hasn’t stopped, I’ll administer diastat or whatever the plan lists. I always call their moms after, and they usually either go home to rest and rehydrate or go to the hospital.

What are things you think you can do to help a person experiencing a grand mal seizure?
if this is a recurrent thing, call their mom, teacher, or if you’re just unsure call 911. if this is the first time definitely call 911. most important thing you can do is to start timing, and roll them on their side to keep from aspirating on vomit (gross I know, but in the moment you’ll get over it).

2 Likes

I did when I was a baby, but since then, I really have not had any. Did find out the hard way I’m allergic to one seizure medication. It’s been a while since I been on here, but hope everyone is doing well. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.