DISCUSSION: Show, Don't Tell

Alright, what do you guys think about authors who SHOW, whether there is background story,etc. What do you think about authors TELLING, whether it is a introduction of characters, etc.

Let’s start talking…:sunglasses:

4 Likes

I’d much rather an author not introduce every main character there is, it doesn’t appeal to me very much. Episode is a visual story telling app after all…I just think it’d be a lot more efficient to not introduce every character with narration lol

14 Likes

boom! 1 point!

1 Like

For me it depends. If it is something that has a lot of detail and explanation then I prefer it to be shown than told but if it is a flashback or backstory that is a few sentences long, then I would rather you just told it

6 Likes

At first… I didn’t mind it. I liked it… I guess?
But now, when I’m reading a story and every line is pretty much narration… It pisses me off :roll_eyes:

Same thing with introductions. OMG - you don’t need to give introductions for all 30 of your characters, especially when you are describing them for 5 minutes😂

Like you said. Show, don’t tell :woman_shrugging:t4:

6 Likes

What do you mean? Are you asking whether or not authors should show their story before they release it?

1 Like

i prefore show. about episode they more like a movie/tv show. not a book. book tell movies show the backstory

1 Like

no, what I am asking is that when it comes to background story or flash backs, characters being introduced, etc. Do you think authors should show them being introduced, for an example, or do u think they should show their characters but not introduce them.

boom., exact;y

Books = tell
movies= shows

Good example.

3 Likes

It will be boring like crazy if someone did a lot of narration on a lot of characters tbh. xd

4 Likes

I’ve seen it happen once too many times before…

3 Likes

wow.

1 Like

I read a story where the first “episode” was just an introduction to all the characters and then we got a narrated tour through the MC’s house. Literally “This is the living room”, “This is the bedroom” etc :rofl:

16 Likes

omg :joy::joy::joy::joy:

3 Likes

I agree with this. Narration works well with short flashback scenes and I like to use it when I’m trying to illustrate the linearity of some events and the fact that some time passed: like MC did blah blah blah on Monday, then whatever happened on the next day and after some other stuff we are back to present. For anything that is detailed and happens in the present I prefer to use dialogues.

6 Likes

I’ve always advocated for the show don’t tell route. For things like flashbacks, it’s obviously better to provide visual aid or you’d be stuck giving backstory through endless dialogue - which is tiresome. However for things like introducing character traits and character dynamics it’s always better to show that through their reactions, dilemmas, and their overall character development.

6 Likes

ahh that makes me sadd

1 Like

agreed.

1 Like

I hate when people have , “this is my mom Gina. And my brother Tyler. He loves guitar. This is my little sister Sarah. Get out of my room…” it annoying the heckin heck out of me

4 Likes