DISCUSSION: Show, Don't Tell

lol

I like the authors who SHOW it. I have done the same. Besides, Episode gives us the feature to depict all that visually and make it more appealing. So, why do all that stuff through boring narration and go all basic Wattpad through TELLING (My opinion, not dissing anyone lol).

According to the stories that I have read on Episode – if there’s too much detailed matter you have to portray to readers, go for the SHOW. I mean, if you feel you want readers to not miss out on any important information. By TELLING, readers might feel bored and just skip out on the dialogue (that’s what I mostly do, no offense to authors, lol).

2 Likes

“this is my best friend insert generic looking girl emily.” “this is my mom.” “my dad left when my brother and i were 3” “this is elizabeth, and her friend sarah. her and insert schools golden boy and mc’s crush are together.” “her and i used to be best friends” then it’s the end of the first episode somehow. as you can tell, i don’t like people telling me what’s happening lmaoo

3 Likes

I don’t like it when authors introduce every single character, including the useless ones. :grin:

3 Likes

I like a mixture of showing and telling. Like- don’t give me the black screen with narration unless you want to intentionally break from the script or something.
However, if you’re showing me and telling me- the camera has to be either moving, or focused on something moving that you are describing- if not then it’s just kinda boring.

2 Likes

For example if you’re describing the backstory but want it to be summed up quick for the first episode; if you’re writing about the MC’s abusive family, you describe the family in narration while also showing what you’re telling. That makes more sense than doing a bunch of flashbacks and scenes of the backstory to get the point across.

1 Like

Thought this was an interesting rule of thumb. :slight_smile: I don’t actually think their eyelid example is that bad, but I think the point they’re making is that you want readers to experience the emotion and not get bored with your story through too much unnecessary description.

7 Likes

Showing isn’t necessarily no narration. Books too utilize show vs. tell, but it’s a matter of how things are described. Showing is a matter of describing emotions vs. just telling us “I am sad.” Show is portrayal of how that character is sad. People who think books are all “tell” not “show” don’t know the core meaning of show vs. tell.

5 Likes

That’s not the point of this post though. I’m sure everyone is fine with Episode stories that include flashbacks with a little narration, I actually prefer it that way because it shows a lot more detail. We just think it’s unnecessary to have 2-3 minute introductions of the main cast.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, those are definitely unnecessary and detract from the story. I immediately exit of a story if it begins like that.

3 Likes

I’d rather learn about the characters as the story progresses. I don’t need a detailed background on every. single. character. I do like when authors show, rather than tell. WITH THE EXCEPTION of certain aspects like intro-monologue that sets up the story (as long as I’m not clicking for 5 minutes before even getting to the “start”).
I don’t really need to know that the character is super depressed because their 5th cousin twice removed was mauled to death by a unicorn. Let me find out through the story dialogue that something in their past motivates their actions…
However, I am a reader who also understands that due to limited animation choices, sometimes it’s easier to tell rather than show. So, honestly, either is fine as long as it’s done correctly.
IF you show, give a quick few minutes of background scenes. IF you tell, don’t make me have to ice my finger because I’ve been clicking through 100 lines of “background on the character(s)”…

3 Likes

It depends on what the author wants. If they want to keep their readers in suspense as to who the characters are, they can :joy: it doesn’t matter to me.

1 Like

:+1:t3:

I prefer authors who show and let the readers figure out the information / story for themselves. I mean, I can say I’ve read wayyy too many stories where the author’s just like…

(MC walks in)

AUTHOR
This is (NAME). Name is a 17 year old nerd who has a huge crush on the most popular guy in school. However… (Place random bs here)

However, it’s really up to the author. I personally won’t tell the reader everything in my story, but rather show them. Just my opinion. :kissing_heart:

3 Likes

agree

I prefer the background story being shown or at least hinted at, but sometimes it’s too complicated & just easier for the author to narrate/summarize what happened lol

2 Likes

bumpim

Character introductions are unnecessary.

3 Likes