Discussion: Sick of authors using excuses not to include diversity

Excuses. Excuses everywhere. Honestly, I’m so fed up with authors using lame excuses to avoid including/ representing correct diversity.

Usually it’s “I don’t know, I’ve never seen any (insert race/religion etc.” really? So you can’t represent anything because you don’t know? There’s a wonderful invention these days called the internet. Research seems daunting, but it really does help represent diversity well. No diversity is a huge turnoff to me. I see boring, bland characters all with similar skin tone, same features, only the hair being the difference. That’s definitely not a realistic portrayal.

Another lame excuse “They’re (insert race) but it’s just not shown because they don’t look like it!” this is quite rare. Maybe one character like that’s fine…but seriously? Everybody looks white but is apparently mixed race, asian etc. when the author gets some fanmail. Honestly, I think they should own up and learn from their mistakes instead of getting mad and making up nonsense on the spot.

What are some absurd excuses you’ve heard? It can’t just be me who’s fed up with this…

43 Likes

I wish. Authors in this community are very entitled and pigheaded. :woman_shrugging:t5: They will try to any excuse in the book to defend themselves.

13 Likes

I’m fed up too.

Mainly with this. Multiple of community members use this excuse and change their characters ethnicity out of no where so readers won’t get angry.

8 Likes

If authors dont want to include diversity in their stories, leave them be. It’s their story, can’t control them. So, if thats what they want then its their choice/decision. I totally agree with u though.

34 Likes

Talking Point: Wouldn’t multiple people conforming to the same ideology and view points leave no diversity and uniqueness left? Which is what you are fighting for… :thinking: The same premise can be applied to Episode stories. If you want more diversity let people do their own thing and create their own masterpieces with their own unique perspectives based on their own life experiences and knowledge. :smiley:

39 Likes

This thread isn’t about that they don’t, it’s they use ridiculous excuses to why. I don’t find nothing wrong if you don’t want to, even if that’s still a messed up thing to say, but don’t try to make plausible to say–

For why.

11 Likes

I totally agree with you. I remember a few days back, some girl said she was Dominican, but she was really Brown/Black. I was pissed off. There is no need to lie about race, just because you look the part. There was even proof that she was Brown/Black.

2 Likes

Wait, what? Why would anyone lie about such things?

3 Likes

Dominicans can be brown/black.

13 Likes

I know, but her family is Dominican in any way.

1 Like

wow…these excuses are just…pathetic is some way.

3 Likes

We aren’t controlling anyone. If you feel so, that’s on you. It’s their choice. But we can still discuss it. Freedom of speech. :woman_shrugging:t5:

7 Likes

This is whats wrong with the world, people can lie, make excuses, but they never can tell the truth.

1 Like

True.

yep, freedom of speech!

3 Likes

I hate when people say their character is black but gives them no features to show they are. :unamused: I know Black people can come in all colors and forms. However, the extent where you think you can classify anyone as black and get away with it is ludicrous.

8 Likes

“Oh–She’s black!”

14 Likes

well said.

4 Likes

People just dont get it these days…

If we want more diversity, why would we let others continue to exclude others and make the same characters all the time?

6 Likes