DISCUSSION: Social Topics

I do know that some topics aren’t allowed to be talked about due to the guidelines, so I wanted to have a discussion about socially related topics.

This is a discussion. Nothing more. No arguments, no drama please. PM each other if you want to explain your opinion.

Here are some I found, but feel free to think of your own!

Should human cloning be legalized?

Personally, I disagree. Cloning just scares me :joy: I can see some benefits from it but overall it seems like a bad idea.

Barbie is a good role model for young girls.

I do not agree with this at all. Barbies are always thin, white and blonde. Even though some of Barbie’s friends are POC, diverse or at least not blonde and white, Barbie is the main attraction and is seen as beautiful, pretty etc… children that aren’t white or blonde could and are influenced by Barbie and might see themselves as ugly, or not pretty enough - that they need to look like Barbie in order to be pretty. Although Barbie was a fun part of childhood to collect dolls and dress them up, the psychological part of it is all very serious and could cause some serious damage.

Is graffiti art just as worthy of regard as classical paintings?

I have two views on this as well: while graffiti art can be beautiful (since graffiti is basically art but on public surfaces) it can have impacts on the community or the area around it. Some graffiti are inappropriate and I don’t think it should be sprayed everywhere for all to see, especially younger people. However, portraits or just paintings of things are totally fine. I enjoy looking at graffiti from time to time - sometimes I see things like a horse with a really long neck or a pinocchio-like man twisting or warped into other things. It’s all very strange but interesting and they sometimes have messages in them.

Drug addicts should be helped rather than punished.

I agree with this. Drugs do awful things to a person, however I can’t say much about the experience since I’ve never done drugs. I think the punishment part should only apply to things like peer pressure or supplying drugs to children, or anyone who clearly isn’t suited for drugs. That sounds like I’m saying that there are people who are suited for drugs lol :joy: I don’t know how else to word it.

Zoos should be banned.

I agree with this 101%. What’s so fun about seeing animals caged up with no space to roam freely? I mean, I guess it benefits people who can’t travel or get out of a country to see tropical or exotic animals, but then again I’d rather not see exotic animals at all rather than seeing them without freedom and sometimes even abused. The same goes for circuses.

Should animal testing be justified?

Nope. Never. I don’t understand why people don’t think about animals and the pain they go through. Animal testing for make up is absolutely absurd. People are allowed to make an animal ugly to make themselves look pretty? There is literally no good cause in animal testing for make up. For medical reasons however, I do see why it can be justified just for that. If the animal dies because of being tested for medical purposes, then at least it died knowing that they probably saved someone’s life - they died, and out of the death, a good effect has appeared. But dying for a few creams and powders? Nuh uh sis. Just no.

9 Likes

I love this thread, I live and breath social debates. I’ll defiantly comment my opinions when I get home.

1 Like

Thanks for making this thread, I love debating about social topics :slight_smile:

1 Like

Cloning is weird and not natural for humans. Cloning would really be a problem. Food for example. If we could clone food there would be no money for the farmers. Same thing with clothes.

Companies should be required to hire 50% male and 50% female employees.

Equality is very important, but I am a woman and I know that there are some jobs that we just can’t do. However I do believe that in the spaces that both women and men can work in it should be about 50/50

I hate this. Barbie is deathly white and blond. Personally that where I thought that the “dumb blond” thing came from. Also I believe that to look even a thing like barbie we would have to have countless plastic surgeries.

Gay marriage should be legalized.

I am a part of the LGBTQ+ community (bi), and I will probably end up marrying a girl. I just like them better. Love is love and you cannot force someone to marry someone they don’t like.

I have two views on this as well: graffiti is very cool and most of it is super beautiful however many people paint bad word or symbols that are not appropriate for the younger audience.

I agree. They do need to be taught but punishing them won’t teach them a lesson. (They’ll just die in prison.

Zoos should be banned.

I have two opinions: I would rather the animals be out in the wild living their lives like they should. However some endangered species do need to be kept safe from poachers which are out in the wild.

No I hate this. Animal testing is cruel. Nobody thinks about the animal themselves. It hurts them and the scientist don’t care.

3 Likes

I didn’t even think of this! True that…

Well, as long as the zoos give the animals a lot of space then it’s ok.

2 Likes

What kind of jobs?

1 Like

I kind of took it in a way that there a jobs that women can’t do as efficiently as men because of the strength differences and natural testosterone produced in men. But I do think a woman can do whatever she wants and be good at it.

Agreed, and please remember that not all women are cis!

1 Like

Sure, but where did I say that all women are cis? If you don’t mind me asking…

If you’re referring to the testosterone situation, then yes, I do know that people can have a triple chromosome and some women can naturally produce testosterone, however it is very rare.

Yes, that’s what I was referring to. My intent was not to attack, but to educate. Anyway, let’s not derail this topic.

2 Likes

It’s a discussion, so feel free to discuss. As long as no disrespect comes in, go ahead.

2 Likes

It’s interesting, but kinda weird. How do you know if you’re you?

Companies should be required to hire 50% male and 50% female employees.
Eh. If this was a law to be put into use, you’d probably see some companies having a HUGE loss of workers. Companies targeted for girls would probably loose a bunch of female workers to keep it even and vice versa.

Kinda? When I was a young gal, I don’t ever remember wanting to look like my dolls. I compared myself with well- other human beings, such as models in magazines and TV. I believe that the older you are, the more self-conscious you are. Barbie, being targeted to literal five year olds, shouldn’t effect them too much. (I can see your viewpoint, though.) Barbie also has a bunch of jobs, which can encourage children to be whatever they want.

Gay marriage should be legalized.
Heck yeah!!!

I personally never really like graffiti. The places that I see that due have graffiti often have swear words and inappropriate graphics. Although you can argue that classical paintings have a bunch of inappropriate graphics, there’s just a certain tone to them.

I agree.

Zoos should be banned.
No, not really. Zoos are often times used to keep endangered animals from going extinct. They also bring awareness to the public, such as the dangers of global warming. Plus, they educate children on animals! Visits to the zoo can make children want to be zoologists when they grow up!

Depends on the animal testing. Medical animal testing is kinda justified, as the animal brings info.
Animal testing for lotions, makeup, and beauty products is doo doo and shouldn’t be justified.

1 Like

This I do agree with.

2 Likes

Yes. Not mass-used, but legalized - yes. Go science lol.

Lol. A categorical no. Companies should hire people who are qualified to do the job, not looking at their gender.

It’s just a doll. It shouldn’t be a role model at all for sane people.

Yes. I don’t think any explanation is needed. Gay marriages don’t harm anyone.

Depends on the graffiti and the painting. Art can’t be generalized.

Drug addicts should be tried to be helped. If they refuse - they should be isolated. Depends on the drug tho. I will always stand on the legalization of marijuana.

Yes. Living creatures aren’t made for people’s entertainment.

Um. I think yes. I mean we have so many possibilities to test shit on humans nowadays, and they will get paid as well. Why not. People test medicine xD

3 Likes

• Catholic priests
  • The Pope
  • Butlers
  • Gigolos
  • Actors for male roles.
  • Sperm donor.
  • Dalai Lama.
1 Like

What about make up? Do agree with harming animals for beauty products?

1 Like

I’m against using a living creature for your own agenda without their consent. Animals can’t give you a consent.

1 Like

:clap:t3:

1 Like

Why can’t women be butlers? :thinking:

Again, there are women who produce sperm.

1 Like