DISCUSSION: Social Topics

I’m way too scared of that, although it would be interesting, I could imagine it ending badly.

While I agree that gender equality is important, this is not fair. What if the male (or female) in this situation is actually more qualified, because they are way more experienced? I’m a feminist, but a quota of any kind is bad.

I’m quite the opposite of Barbie, but growing up I loved her. I loved the movies and the dolls of Barbie but I have never seen barbie as a role model. I never compared myself to her, although I have issues with myself, but none of these issues were caused through a doll.

YES. I’m not part of the community, but love. is. love.
Why do people care so much about who loves who?

Yes, in my opinion, it does. Graffiti is an art, behind it lies passion and work. Of course, as long as it is done legally.

I am not really educated on this topic, but I think I agree.

Yes. I am not even the biggest fan of animals, I’m afraid of most, but Zoos are just animal cruelty. No one deserves living in a cage for the entertainment of millions.

And again, animal cruelty. If you wouldn’t do it to humans, don’t do it to an animal.

2 Likes

What was you science teacher even talking about that lead to this? :face_with_monocle:

2 Likes

Mmm… no. It’s scaryyy :see_no_evil:

Okay, well. Equality is super important, and if that were to happen, it would be great… for some companies. Firstly, what if there are not enough of either gender? Is the company just going to have to have a tiny amount of staff, are people going to have to be forced to work in it to fulfill this ‘criteria’? And whilst I guess this would lead to equality, it’s putting a bandage on cut that needs to be cleaned. This might not even teach people that gender and general equality should be a thing. For many, it could just be some annoying checklist to fill. ‘Ugh’. And honestly, some women suit some jobs and some men suit some jobs, there will always be exceptions and some jobs will suit both genders. Maybe because of mindset, gender, physicality, interests. I mean, you don’t really want to have a male gynaecologist look at your female parts, right?

No, I don’t even- who in the freaking world said this? Tell me so that I can slap some sense into them. No! They’re bits of plastic with paint on them. Girls feel pressured to have big boobs, blonde hair, blue eyes, to be skinny, to be tall. I have big boobs and gurl, I hate it. I have black hair and I love it. I have dark brown eyes which turn honey in the sun. I’m a complete shortie and people say that’s cute, so. Barbie needs help. She needs to eat more food!

Funny lil' picture of barbie proportions on a real human.

Image result for barbie in real life proportions

Um, duh! Let there be love and cake!

All zoos that cage their poor animals up in a tiny little cage shouldn’t even have existed in the first place. However, I have been to a lot of zoos that try their best to imitate an animal’s natural habitat in quite a large space, actually. There are little cameras in some of the places we might not be able to see.

No. Only for medical purposes, maybe:

But not for cosmetics, that’s terrible.

I don’t call male genitalia and curse words scribbled everywhere art, so yes.

Oh, yes. I was on a mental health discord server a while ago and met a drug addict. He didn’t try to sell me drugs, nope. He was always so overjoyed when he resisted the urge to take something and was so sadly ashamed of himself when he did. He really was trying to get better. Why would you lock a drug addict up in jail and leave them there to rot when they could be having therapy and doing something beneficial with their lives?

1 Like

I agree, and even if that was the case, as technology develops, more jobs are created in entirely new sectors, so the future probably won’t be as grim as people imagine it to be.

2 Likes

We were talking about the male and female reproductive system. Then, I don’t remember how, but we began talking about a woman athlete who has a triple chromosome and naturally produces testosterone. :joy:

That’s really cool. I hadn’t thought of that

2 Likes

I’m 4’10 :ok_woman:t4:

EDIT: A 14 year old

1 Like

Should human cloning be legalized?
No
Gay marriage should be legalized.
I doubt that it will ever happen in my country, but I am not opposed
Companies should be required to hire 50% male and 50% female employees.
I believe the most qualified person who is the best choice for the position should be hired. Personally I don’t want to be served by someone because there a woman, I want to be served by the person that will offer the best service regardless of anything else.
Barbie is a good role model for young girls.
Well in ways yes. She can be. Barbies have lots of different products that reflect positive messages. For example a little girl who dreams of being an astronaut seeing a female figure as an astronaut that they can play with is great. It contributes to the image that young women can aspire to be anything.
Is graffiti art just as worthy of regard as classical paintings?
Nope, not when its vandalism. But artistry is artistry no matter the tools used, many classical artist used various different mediums in their art as well
Drug addicts should be helped rather than punished.
Of course, I think the media should be ridiculed instead as they are the main promoters of drug use

Zoos should be banned.
100% and also circuses with animals, bullfights and dog races. However animal sanctuaries, preserves and rescue facilities are fine. They do help a lot of animals, always loved going there for field trips in primary school! Great for visual and kinesthetic learners too!
Should animal testing be justified?
Nope nope nope! Especially not for cosmetic purposes. Hate excuses like “Well if we don’t test on animals our products cant be sold in China” cough cough MAC So freaking what?

5 Likes

Should human cloning be legalized?
Hm, on the one hand, there’s the sci-fi scary, Orphan Black situation where you find out you’re a clone and someone in your life is recording data about you or worse, Never Let Me Go and you’re being grown as a human organ farm… However, legislating against science isn’t the best policy either. Because how is cloning defined? According to the National Human Genome Research Institute, there are 3 types: gene cloning, reproductive cloning and therapeutic cloning.

Gene cloning is just cloning bits of DNA, not an entire organism and is completely legal and heavily researched in the US, so I’m fine with this. I think the most controversial types are reproductive cloning and therapeutic cloning.

Reproductive cloning is the cloning we normally think of, creating a whole new, genetically identical animal using an original’s DNA. That’s been done with animals but so far, no proven cases of human cloning. As I posted previously, the animal still has to go through the growth process, so at the very least, clones are younger than the originals and they don’t have to be identical, visually, since environment contributes as well as other factors. I’m not sure I want that for humans since cloned animals currently have a lot of health issues since their DNA is older than it should be and usually have shorter lifespans. But again, I’m against outlawing science as long as it’s practiced with ethical guidelines.

Therapeutic cloning is using the embryo of a clone to produce more embryonic stem cells for the original. Definitely a grey area for those who think life begins at conception, but I’m not of that belief and I think it could be helpful so it shouldn’t be illegal, but again practiced ethically.

Companies should be required to hire 50% male and 50% female employees.
There are certain cases where laws help and other where they are well-intentioned but not effective. I think this is the latter. Mandating this kind of quota will only make women in male-dominated fields resented more by men who will feel like they lost “their” spot to a woman if they don’t get the job. I went to a technical university as a woman and was told many times that I only got in because I was a girl, it was great :upside_down_face:

Companies should be in charge of their own hiring policies, however, encouragement to consider hiring diverse people (not just nephews and dudes that remind them of themselves) is never a bad thing. Having more diverse opinions can only make things better, in my opinion!

Barbie is a good role model for young girls.
Nope, obviously she’s an unattainable ideal that can warp young girls’ minds (but not always). However, we don’t need Barbie anymore, there are plenty of unattainable ideals on instagram raking in money selling flat tummy tea (hint: it’s just diarrhea water) and facetuning themselves beyond recognition that impressionable youths see every day so getting rid of Barbie wouldn’t do shit.

Gay marriage should be legalized.
Yes, obviously. Love is love. Marriage is a piece of paper giving tax breaks. It predates religion. It doesn’t have to happen in a regressive church/place of worship, but should be allowed in all countries!

Is graffiti art just as worthy of regard as classical paintings?
Like everyone else, it depends. There’s great graffiti and there’s not-great art. Banksy started with graffiti and now his stuff is worth millions and considered high art. I think cities should pay artists to paint murals and stuff because that’s nicer to look at than an ad, but I don’t make the decisions.

Drug addicts should be helped rather than punished.
Of course. Hard drugs (aka not weed) are addictive and sometimes, like in the case of the opioid crisis in the US, pushed on people with addictive tendencies by unethical doctors. Once your brain is addicted, it’s hard to stop without help. Those seeking help shouldn’t be punished with jail time but helped. Probably would be less expensive than mass incarceration.

Zoos should be banned.
I’m torn. As an adult, I abhor them. Leopards and cheetahs kept in pens the size of my NYC apartment is awful. However, there are a great chance for learning and giving kids a sense of loving nature, especially if they grow up in a city where they’ve seen 3 undomesticated animals: rats, pigeons (flying rats), and squirrels (rats with better PR). And they can be breeding grounds. But ban Sea World. Whales don’t deserve that treatment.

Should animal testing be justified?

Only for medical purposes, not cosmetics.

FYI, if you are against cosmetic products doing this, don’t buy products from companies that sell in China because China outlaws beauty products that HAVEN’T been tested on animals. That’s right, mandatory animal testing of cosmetics. Update - finally this absurd law was overturned starting in 2020.

1 Like

They finally are overturning this in China, starting next January. THose brands better stop doing it then, I hope!!!

2 Likes

I am sooo glad, I still will be distancing myself from those brands for a while though

1 Like

Yeah, it’s amazing! I can imagine someone cut a plant and threw it somewhere in the dirt and then was shocked to see that it actually grew!

2 Likes

I don’t have to much to say on most of these topics, especially when it comes to do with animals because nothing that harms them should be justified.

I do want to talk about the Barbie one though. Barbie has always came in many different colours, ever since I was little anyway (eighteen now), I loved her and I had all different races of Barbies. I don’t believe that she needs to be a role model, Barbie is just a doll. As a child, I never once thought to myself ‘I wish I was blond, blue eyed and white like Barbie!’ I think adults believe this is the case and then make it a big deal but I highly doubt that any kid who owned a Barbie looked at her as anything but a doll. :joy:

2 Likes

Oh my god I love you I love you :sob::sob::sob: a fellow shortie :sob::sob: I’m 4’11 but still. I’m 14 cough in five days tho cough

1 Like

Wow you’re taller than me though :joy:

1 Like

I certainly did. I have dark thick hair, and I used to look at my Barbie dolls and cry for thin, blonde hair. Especially when my friends would play Barbie or something, and they’d say that I can’t be Barbie because I don’t look like her. Well, of course I’m not going to argue that I can look like whoever I want to, but it certainly put me down. I also know and heard about a few people who have had eating disorders to try and replicate the image of Barbie.

I still straighten my hair every week for thin, manageable hair - and no, sadly, I don’t only do it for me. Part of my love for straightening hair came from when I was younger and I’d see all these dolls with thin blonde hair and pretend that I had that hair too.

Some children are influenced by it, even if though they don’t know they’re being influenced.

It will happen.

1 Like

Remember, feel free to think of any new topics to talk about and I’ll see if it’s appropriate. (Since yano, we aren’t allowed to talk about religion for example)

Closed due to violation of the Forum General Rules: