DISCUSSION : Stories and the Fan Mail that comes with them

I’m not asking for help, I am not asking for guidance.

1. Why do you think people send fan mail?
  2. Are there different types of fan mail.
    2a. Hate mail? Love mail? Suggestion mail?
  3. Why do you think Episode included Fan Mail in the first place.
  4. On a scale 1 to 10, 10 being 100% of the time, how often should a writer listen to fan mail?
  5. What are the benefits of Fan mail?
  6. What are the disadvantages of Fan Mail?
  7. Why do you write fan mail?
    7a. If you haven’t, why don’t you?
  8. Why do you think authors turn off fan mail?

My other Discussions
Stories with Male Protagonists
Stories within the Comedy Genre
Stories with Cliche Plots
Stories and the Fanmail that comes with them
Stories that NEVER leave the trending
Stories with Multiple Endings

DISCUSSION : Stories with Cliche Plots
DISCUSSION : Stories within the Comedy Genre
DISCUSSION : Stories with Male Protagonists
DISCUSSION : Stories with Multiple Endings
  1. To show their appreciation to an author about their hardwork or to mention issues within their story they may not be aware of.

2. I usually look at fanmail before I decide whether or not to read a story. Sadly hate mail exists and more often than not it’s completely unnecessary and with no help to the author. Love mail exists too, sometimes, I’ve seen it be a little creepy as with suggestion mail. I once saw (I think it was in the fanmail of love me black and blue), someone suggested the MC killed herself :neutral_face:

3. Maybe it was made as a suggestion so authors without social media accounts could find out what readers thought about their story.

4. I think the only reasonable score I could give would be 5/10. Love mail and suggestion mail should be listened to or taken into consideration but hate mail exists unfortunately and I don’t think authors should take notice of someone who feels the need to belittle someones hard work.

5. It can give an anxious or a new author a confidence boost. Let’s them know that people are enjoying their creation.

6. Hate mail.

7. I have only ever written one fanmail and I felt the need too because the story was newly published (happen to come across it on instagram) and it was absolutely incredible so I wanted the author to know how much I enjoyed it and eagerly awaited their next update.

8. Hate mail, or maybe they have chosen to prefer hearing opinions in another way? Email, Instagram, Twitter e.t.c.

That’s so sweet, because new authors are def nervous. (Heck I have fanmail-phobia, and I have 9ish pub stories xD) What made you choose to read fan mail before actually reading the story?

New authors should be appreciated, as someone who is writing their first story it can feel quite daunting publishing a story knowing that the popular stories/authors are always top of the list, so if a little bit of fanmail can help someone, I’m willing to help.
9 published stories, 9 sets of fanmail, 9 heart attacks when you see 1 unread fanmail!
The thought of fanmail terrifies me :joy: Mostly because I’m awkward and tend to react weirdly to compliments.
I started reading stories that looked amazing on face value but after reading 1 or 2 chapters, I found they weren’t as good as the appeared (In my opinion). After reading the fanmail I noticed people had noticed the same issues I had in some stories like the length of the episode, grammar, story telling e.t.c.

I have not written any fan mail. I’m not sure why. If I really like a story, I will recommend it.
Tbh, I look at fan mail to see options for love interests. I guess I think it’s quicker to scroll through a bunch of comments rather than asking myself. Or maybe I’m too shy?

What stories would you write a fan mail for?(like pretend you had to)

Adrenaline (phenomenal story), Envy and Princess Charming (I cannot stop thinking about what will happen), Galileo School of Magic (incredible).
The Ruby Tiara (is there a female LI?)
Freening, Haute as Hell, and Studs and Sonnets (keep up the fantastic work).
Playing Her Game (updates routinely, which is rare, so thank you).
Lol. Thanks for letting me get that out of my system.

I’ve written fan mail once and that was to thank them for how respectful they where when they wrote about a miscarriage.

1. Why do you think people send fan mail?
I can’t speak for anyone else, but I send fan mail when a story gets me mentally excited to the point that I just HAVE to share with the author how much I enjoyed their story.

2. Are there different types of fan mail.
I guess so, I mean there’s definitely hate mail and just ‘loved your story!’ fan mail. There’s also ‘begging’ fan mail - “Can you please let us customize the characters?!” “Can she marry (love interest)?!” and there’s also constructive criticism, like telling an author that their spelling is messed up, or that their directing is borked.

3. Why do you think Episode included Fan Mail in the first place.
It’s a pretty common thing to include on any website or app that involves writing. fanfiction.net Archive of our Own, WattPad all have ways to communicate with an author.

4. On a scale 1 to 10, 10 being 100% of the time, how often should a writer listen to fan mail?
If readers are begging for stuff, I don’t think an author should have to listen. It’s their choice not to include customization, etc. But if readers have legitimate concerns, or they’re warning the author that their spot directing or layering is super messed up, the author should probably listen.

5. What are the benefits of Fan mail?
When someone leaves a positive fan mail, it can be a very motivating experience for the author! Also, as embarrassing as it is to get a mail being like, “In chapter 3, I think you meant for her to stand on the dock, but your spot directing has her standing on the ocean…” it means you can find out that you messed up and fix it, so that’s good.

6. What are the disadvantages of Fan Mail?
Hate mail. Fortunately, I’ve never received it, probably because I finally published a story right after Episode did that overhaul on the fan mail system that meant your account name ended up being attached to your mails. Also, readers who ask you to make changes to the plot (i.e, "Can MC marry so-and-so/have a baby/Can you make so-and-so a love interest?!) or ask you to let them customize characters.

7. Why do you write fan mail?
See question 1. Authors can always do with being shown they’re appreciated! :slight_smile:

8. Why do you think authors turn off fan mail?
Some people can’t handle criticism, even of the constructive kind, so they turn it off to avoid getting any. And some of the more popular authors just get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of mail they get and have to turn it off. Also, some people get targeted by hate mail abuse (when the same person/a few people just send a whole bunch of hate in different messages). Hopefully this last issue has been mostly remedied by Episode’s fan mail update, though.

I imagine people are so afraid to representing ‘touchy’ subjects like that. I am sure you made the author’s day. Why do you think Episode added the fan mail feature?

Oh wow, I am surprised you haven’t gotten any! :smiley: /// Where would you say the line is between criticism and being rude in fanmail?

I think the main reason would not everyone is on social media. So this is option for fans and authors who aren’t on social media to share their support and feedback and maybe more encouragement.

I’ve gotten fan mail, but I’ve been fortunate enough not to get hate mail. And I think this is largely due to the fact that you can no longer send fan mail anonymously on Episode. Which is great, because it means people are accountable for their actions.

I think it’s really easy to give constructive feedback without being rude, really. It’s the difference between, “If I could make a suggestion: making your character change clothes faster could make the story flow better and keep the readers’ attention” vs, “It takes a million years for the characters to change their outfit. You should’ve made them change faster.”
The second, while not downright hostile, is still a little abrasive and could rub a lot of people up the wrong way.

Of course, there are some writers who won’t take any criticism, to the point that they get mad when people point out their spelling mistakes. Personally, I think constructive feedback helps us grow, but each to their own, I guess.
I had a beta-reader some years ago, who gave me feedback on everything she thought could be improved and helped me revise my stories, and I can say for a fact that’s the time in my life when I improved most significantly as a writer.

1. I think people send fan mail because they appreciate the author.
  2. I think there are 4 different kinds. Hate, Love, Suggestion and Unsatisfied people.
  3. No clue
  4. Depends if you are writing for yourself (2) or for them (7)
  5. Let know of errors.
  6. Hate mail.
  7. I don’t because I worry I’ll sound fake. Plus don’t have the effort to see if they reply.
  8. Bc of assholes

I’m back - but mainly to complain about Fanmail. —

Like I’ve always been okay with fanmail,OMG CAN WE HAVE MOREEE LOVEE INTERESZZZT, yeah sure (never happens) but something seriously bother me is when people fan mail asking if my story is good. Like brah, what are you expecting me to say? Like why even ask? check out the story. I was a lil frustrated and told them if you aren’t so sure about it, find another story.

Another thing is spelling. I personally, if I was to write a fanmail, I would make sure I spell everything correctly (or even close to correctly.) My grammar and spelling is just beyond bad but I know how to make it understandable. I got one today that was like ‘why you only four lip options. You missed the pretty cute ones but why?’ — no content or anything — like … english?

I think this drives me to the question, why should someone send fanmail other than to say they like it?

Hahahhaa but is your story good??? :joy:

I personally wouldn’t like it, but people seem to really like it lmao

“The first episode is ad free and pass free. Why don’t you read it yourself and find out?”

i guess idk if that would work for Galileo tho…

HA I found a Discussion that hadn’t been locked.

Giving this a bump ~