DISCUSSION : Stories in the Latest Contest (H & V)

How do you suggest we encourage readers to read other stories rather than their favorite author’s entry?

Common sense? The fact that everybody puts their blood, tears, sweat in their entries?

1 Like

I was originally going to answer this as @Lee Funk

1. I participated because I had a story idea already in mind…
  2. I think because Heroes and Villains is such a great topic, plus it makes the participants get creative with plots, character development and ‘magic’ ablilites.
  3. Oh heck yeah. Almost every story has actual superheroes in costumes. Most you have a choices that matter, and overlays that move and some CC.
  4. I feel like its not, but for some reason everyone went to the heroes secret identity thing.
  5. I wouldn’t say higher, but I def say they are going to have a less impact if a reader stops reading their story (if their reads are high). But honestly, for what I can tell (pretend there is 6 winners.) one is a famous author, one is a previous contest winner, and the rest a new people with unknown or less known other stories.
  6. Action ! Adventure ! Fantasy ! Kinda Mystery ! Kinda Romance? !
  7. I think mine was pretty good and out of the box, flips hair but some authors are pretty good with overlays , and honestly I’m really blown away by how many stories inwhich the choices matter. That is like super advanced coding (it appears to be when you are new)
  8. I think 9, if you do anymore I think it looses its ‘special’ aspect.

Before, anyone gets me wrong, and say “You’re taking this too far, it’s just a game! Chill!” No. Why the heck would I do that? We spend hours. (in this case 2 months lol) to write new chapters. We brainstorm even while eating to come up with a good plot. (Not me though, I modified my other story oof.) Most of us aware that we won’t be able to win any gains from this. even we win the contest. If you know how payments work in Episode you know what I mean. So literally all of our work goes down because of fangirling/fanboying. I don’t blame the authors though, for example ark.stories did a pretty good job with asking for stories to read on her instagram story. If everyone could do that…

I’m going to answer the other questions now :blush:

1. Why do you think creators chose to participate in this contest?
In general, I think people choose to enter contests because there’s a reward (being featured) and also, I think some people just really enjoy the challenge and having a deadline may keep them more motivated. In regards to this particular contest, I think the theme would appeal to a lot of people. It sounds fun and even before this contest, the whole superhero thing was seeming quite popular.

2.Why do you think Episode picked this theme?
Even before this contest was announced, the whole superhero theme had seemed quite popular. I believe Joseph Evans has a superhero story coming out soon too? Although, this could be entirely coincidental.

3.Do you notice any trends in the stories?
3a. Play as hero, play as villain, pick hero or villain.
I’ve seen a few where in the end you’ll have to choose to be good or bad.

4.Is this theme too ‘restricted?’
4a. Like, love is more general. Whereas Hero & Villains is more specific.
No. I felt like it was very open to interpretation. A lot of people did choose to go down the superhero route but they didn’t have to. You could also write in any genre.

5. Is it unfair that more famous authors have a higher chance of winning?
Answered above.

6. Who do you think the audience is with this theme?
6a. ‘Spring Fling’ is obviously a romance genre, does H & V necessarily mean adventure?
Depends on the story but in general, it’s probably more geared towards people who like action and/or fantasy.

7. Is there any directing style that just blew you away?
Some people were so creative! I personally LOVED the directing in H&V: Blurred Lines (like… how!!!). I like how creative this author was with overlays.

8. How many stories, do you think, should be on the shelf as winners?
8a. Usually it’s 6 - 9 stories on the winning shelf. Should there be more? Less?
I think 9 is a good number. There have been shelves with just 6 stories but I personally don’t think that’s enough since there are so many good entries! Especially for this contest where there are a LOT of entries. In saying that, there were 15 stories chosen for Star Power and I felt like that was too many.

1 Like

I’m a little confused at what you’re upset about? You feel like you haven’t gained enough reads? Or that you won’t be given a fair chance?
Remember, reader retention has nothing to do with the total amount of reads that you get. You can win the contest with just a couple hundred reads, maybe even less!

I’m not upset I just find it discouraging for new authors. If the question is really “reader retention” then I expect at least 2 of my friends in the shelf. Since they have hundreds of reads and many reader retention.

It’s reader retention and rubric score. I won my first contest when I had hardly any followers. The actual story managed to get quite a few reads (for me) but no one knew who I was lol. So it’s not a popularity contest.
I have a friend who had 700 reads when she won. There’s no real way of being able to track your own reader retention. It’s not possible to see how many people quit reading your story after episode 1 or 2 (I wish it was. That would be so helpful!).

You can simply track down the reader retention if you gained those reads with Review for review and Read for reads. Which is my situation. :upside_down_face:

But how do you know that other people didn’t read your story? Or your total amount of reads is completely divisible by 3 (or however many episodes you have)? In that case your retention rate would be 100%? For all you know a bunch of people clicked into episode 1 and exited halfway through. The reads won’t be recorded but I think it still affects your retention.

1 Like

No, I calculated it, it should be around %57.4 with all 3 episode reviews and 1 episode reviews. And they’ve sent me screenshots.

But again, you don’t know if other people read your story that you didn’t account for.

Edit: For reader retention, it’s probably best to stick to read for reads/reviews where they read all three episodes? You’re probably not doing yourself any favours asking for one episode reviews.

1 Like

That’s correct. And we are already off-topic, but think about this. If you’re following an author on Instagram or Episode, that means you like their writing style, right? So why wouldn’t you read all of the episodes, I don’t see why not. Anyways, I always will think the same no matter what you say anyway. Big authors are always advanced.

I’ve won contests and I’m not a big author. I know plenty of “small” authors who have won. If big authors have an advantage, it’s not massive. Remember, rubric score is part of it. Episode read all entries or at least the first episode I believe.
If you’re a small author and no one follows you but everyone who reads your story reads all three episodes, you’ll be getting a high retention score. Doesn’t matter that you only have 100 reads.

1 Like

Alright, thanks. I’m glad that you agreed about big authors.

Same! I wish i could see that too! It would help so much!

Hey, even if you don’t win the contest, you still might get noticed. My favorite entry for the star power contest was Lost in Hope and that had less than 100 reads when I started reading it. But just last week it was featured on a shelf! There are still other ways for your stories to get recognition for all the hard work you put in.

2 Likes

I think because this contest was so popular… to make the finalists even if there was 12 spots is still quite impressive. I know if I made it and there were 11 others, I’d still be stoked. So I don’t think it makes the reward any lesser of value.

2 weeks seems fair.

1 Like
  1. Why do you think creators chose to participate in this contest?
    For me, as an author, I entered because I already had a story in my mind and the contest theme fit aspects of my story.

2. Why do you think Episode picked this theme?
    I know a few people have already said this, but right now with big comic book hero stories hitting the big screen, heroes and villains is a popular theme.

3. Do you notice any trends in the stories?
    Of the stories I’ve read, the theme I have noticed is unexpected hero/villain.

4. Is this theme too ‘restricted?’
    I don’t think so. I think the theme is broad enough to encompass all of these.

5. Is it unfair that more famous authors have a higher chance of winning?
    Granted some of the bigger named authors will have more reads, that says nothing of the reader retention or the grading rubric. LIke someone else has mentioned, there have been big author stories in the past that have not been featured while stories with very few reads were selected. Some big name authors will have a high retention, just because their followers will read every episode they put out, regardless of quality. This does put newer authors at a disadvantage, but if they have a good, solid, engaging story; retention should not be an issue.

6. Who do you think the audience is with this theme?
    Heroes & Villains doesn’t equate to adventure. I know of at least two stories, including my own, that is in the comedy genre. I think that the audience includes people that are looking for H&V stories to read and readers of authors with existing stories.

7. Is there any directing style that just blew you away?
    Sure. There are several stories that I have read that just made my jaw drop with the directing and overlay usage. It is amazing how far we have come on the Episode platform with overlay use that we can create such amazing effects.

8. How many stories, do you think, should be on the shelf as winners?
    I think the creators should select the number that they think deserve to be recognized. If they only read six stories that completely amaze them, then six. If they find twelve, then twelve. Not everyone can be winners, and some people will be disappointed, but they have to draw the line somewhere.

2 Likes

Oooh, yay discussion!

1. It’s a great theme! At least I think so lol. As somebody who entered, it was a hard theme to resist, there were so many possibilities. It’s also a popular theme and idea.
  2. It’s popular. Heroes and Villains? Just look at all the stories, not to mention popular shows and movies in real life. Look at how well Marvel studios has done! Heroes and Villains (even as a broad general theme) have always been popular. Good vs Bad will always be relevant and part of story telling.
  3. I think a lot stuck to the actual superhero and supervillain aspect of heroes and villains. Most playing as hero. However, I think there’s a lot of diversity in the plots for this contest, it’s very impressive to see how much talent there is. :heart:
  4. Not at all! At least I don’t think so. I happen to think it’s a broad field to write about. Hero and villain are honestly subjective and there’s so many different ways you can take it.
  5. This… is a loaded question I think. While popular authors do have a bit of an advantage I think when it comes to getting more people to read their story and readers wanting them to win, that isn’t enough. In the end, it’s retention and a rubric score from Episode officials that matter. Being famous doesn’t guarantee you a spot on the shelf. I think, in the end, Episode does well enough choosing winners and they do tend, for the most part, to choose entries that speak to most of their fan base. While I haven’t agreed with every story they’ve chosen as winners, I don’t begrudge the authors for winning.
  6. I don’t think it necessarily means adventure. The audience I think might definitely expect more action and drama within a H&V entry, but I do think they’re open to a broad range of genres. Comedy seems to be popular and I’ve also seen some under Drama and Romance as well. I feel like it’s a good theme that’s been able to connect all of the Episode community and has spoken to so many! :heart:
  7. Oh certainly!!! There’s SO much talent out here in this community! The use of overlays, spot direction, and other things has been phenomenal. There’s been several I can think of off the top of my head that honestly just blew me away. I almost want to take my entry back and be like “haha just kidding, I’m not entering this” compared to them. lol
  8. Definitely more than Spotlight. I think 8 is a good number. I know there were a TON of Star Power entries and I feel like to get a better percentage of the amazing talent out here in the community, more winners would be a good idea. There are a LOT of entries for this theme so I’m sure that the Episode team is having a tough time choosing. I know I sure would be.
1 Like