Discussion: stories in the wrong genre - part 2

I think even once people realise it’s actually more a romance or drama story, most people keep reading anyway, which just pushes them higher up in that genre… So, like, it works? It’s just frustrating when you’re actually trying to look for something else since the search feature only does so much on the app

9 Likes

Yeah, that’s definitely understandable. I’d hate to be searching for a horror only to find out the story I picked ends up being a romance in episode 3.

2 Likes

That’s my issue with action stories… Right now, I only read new stories if I know the author, otherwise the risk is pretty high…

That and also I’m busy making amateurs BG and overlays…

6 Likes

Yep, that’s why it gets me. I don’t know how useful sub-genres would be (even though I would like to have them) when a sizable amount of authors just want their stories to trend higher and intentionally put them in a less bloated category to achieve it.

6 Likes

Bump :blob_hearts:

2 Likes

Bump :donut:

2 Likes

With the whole limited shelves and “needing to get into the top 100 to be auto-reviewed” thing, has anyone noticed this happening more recently? Or is it about the same?

I have. I’ve been scrolling through the genres a lot recently because I really want new stories to read and when I check, a new story is always moved to another genre when it was originally in the romance or drama section.

8 Likes

Ugh, like half the top few stories in the comedy section. :roll_eyes:

6 Likes

:roll_eyes: Of course.
And now we won’t have real comedy/thriller/horror stories trending because they won’t be able to trend high enough to get reviewed :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

I thought I was just being paranoid but it really does feel like it. I don’t know if it’s directly because of the change in trending and guidelines or if it’s just a new era of authors wanting to get to the top in easy genres to do so

8 Likes

And some of them with both the INK and LL version :speak_no_evil:

8 Likes

I haven’t looked at it for weeks but that’s sad, really sad. :sob:

2 Likes

Bump :books:

2 Likes

The “genre-hoppers” are what I find most annoying. Like one day the story is in Adventure, next day in Fantasy, next day in Romance (sometimes its weekly) . Just pick one already :eyes:

10 Likes

OMG yes! The other day I checked one author’s profile and she published all of her stories twice, and she put both versions into different genres :grimacing: Then I swear they were in other genres a few days later. I started reading only one story by her, but from the covers and the descriptions I’m pretty sure that she only writes romance

7 Likes

In this case it obviously done so that they trend high. You’re more likely to trend higher in a genre like Adventure or Thriller vs Romance or Drama because of fewer stories in those genres :neutral_face:

4 Likes

I sometimes do that out of sheer curiosity lol and then I’ll leave the story there for a day or so just to see if there’s any impact on reads.

5 Likes

To be fair I did that once too just to check if I’m getting more or less reads in another genre. But there are stories that really jump from genre to genre daily/weekly, and to me it’s pretty disappointing when I start reading a “thriller” and turns out it’s romance :confused:

4 Likes

There’s another thread that I wanted to add this to, but I think it makes more sense to say it here…

What I have come to notice recently is that stories in the romance genre are hardly actually romance. Which feels weird to say, considering thriller, horror and comedy are often filled with what majority of us think should be in romance. Lol

But I just… read some romance stories on the app and find myself disturbed that I’m supposed to believe it is indeed romance. Like, if my partner irl was treating me the way some of the love interests do in some of the top romance stories on the app, I’m sure my friends and families would be concerned for me, you know? And I think this happens often when some authors want to keep their story going and keep it interesting, so they start throwing in some drama and action, just in hopes that they can squeeze out another 10 episodes. I can totally understand not wanting to let go of a story so you keep continuing it past your original plans, right, but I think when your romantic themes are overshadowed by the drama you’ve added - and when the drama you add isn’t necessarily what you want your story to appear to promote - it’s time to move it to the drama genre. It’s hard to explain this without calling out specific stories, and obviously this doesn’t apply to all romance/drama stories, but I’m wondering if this makes sense to anyone else or if anyone else has thought it too?

18 Likes