Discussion: Stories in Two Styles

Original Topic: DISCUSSION : Stories in two Styles

It’s almost been two years since the first version of this topic, lol, so I wanted to remake it and see if people’s opinions have changed as I feel like making the same story in two styles is more common and generally readers are more receptive to it these days.

Questions~

1. Why do you think authors started to write in two styles?
  2. What are the benefits of writing in two styles?
    2a. Can it be, in some manner, a cheap way to get more reads?
  3. Would you consider this for your stories? Have you done it?
  4. Have you read a story that’s been made in two styles? Did you read both versions?
  5. Thoughts on someone discontinuing one version of a story to remake it in another style…
11 Likes

I don’t mind there being 2 styles! It’s actually sometimes nice to have variety, but to the question why do they do it? Well, probably because there an audience for both! I’ve never actually read a story in both styles, never saw the need, but there are a lot of people who do. I’ve also never seen an author discontinue a certain style! But hey, they write however they want!

4 Likes
    I think a few authors do because they start to prefer the newer style and they already started writing in ink. I also think some do it just to gain more reads which I guess I get because who doesn’t want to gain easy reads?

You get to please those who like to read in one style and also please those who like to read in the other. Also you gain more reads.

Maybe?

1. Would you consider this for your stories? Have you done it?
    I’m too lazy for that :sweat_smile:

2. Have you read a story that’s been made in two styles? Did you read both versions?
    Yes, only for 1 story because it is one of my favourites and the limelight version is slightly different from the ink one.

3. Thoughts on someone discontinuing one version of a story to remake it in another style…
    I understand why they do it, but it can be a little irritating when they discontinue the version I’m reading and I’ve gotten into the story. I don’t want use passes reading everything I’ve already read. I don’t think I have the patience for that. It already takes me a lot to reread one episode when an author updates it lol.

5 Likes

I used to say it’s only to get more reads, and while I think this is still the main reason, I can also imagine that some authors simply start to prefer the other style. Since INK is not being updated anymore, and Limelight gets awesome updates weekly, I can’t deny the fact that it’s offering much more to work with.

Getting more reads and reaching a wider audience.

Oh yes.

I haven’t done it yet, all my stories are in INK, but I’ve been actually thinking about rewriting the first one in Limelight. I archived the original version because after some attempts for revamp, I’m still not satisfied with it and I know I have a lot to do not only plotwise, but directing-wise too. If I ever republish it, I’ll do it in LL, and not really because I expect more reads, but because I think I could make it better with the assests we have in LL.

4. Have you read a story that’s been made in two styles? Did you read both versions?
Yes, but if I have the choice, I usually go with the INK version, because I’m still very attached to this style and I’ll always be, lol. But now I really like Limelight too, so the style doesn’t really matter to me. I’ve never read both versions of a story, because there are only a few stories that I like enough to read multiple types, and those are usually published only in one style.

5. Thoughts on someone discontinuing one version of a story to remake it in another style…
This makes me upset, because this always happens with INK stories :slightly_frowning_face: I actually have a few favourites that have been abandoned like this, and one of the authors said she would do this to make the directing better. I didn’t understand this because the directing in INK was already awesome :woman_shrugging:

Also, happy birthday @OreoBiscuit :partying_face:

5 Likes

Oh I forgot to add this, but I’ve seen a few stories in which you can choose the style. Now since these authors don’t necessarily get more reads with this, I find it pretty impressive that they do all this branching just to please their readers. Atm I have Alvar M. in my mind, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this from other authors too

2 Likes

Thank you!! :two_hearts:

And yes, it’s always the ink version that gets discontinued so if the story isn’t complete, I just start reading the LL version even though I prefer ink. Maybe one day an author will surprise us and do the opposite lol.

4 Likes

Initially I read this post topic in another way but then I realised what you mean lol! I thought you meant 2 styles in 1 story based on first glance in reading your post :sweat_smile: :joy:

Some authors geniunely want to revamp their story, because they have improved over time with their wriing and directing. I know some actually get bored with INK, I understand LL is new and stuff. Some people just do it to get more reads cause apparently “nO oNE rEAds iNK”

I guess you can reach more readers since there are a lot who only prefer one style and won’t even attempt to read a story if it’s in a different style (don’t like these readers)

Sometimes I guess :woman_shrugging:t2:

Lots of the stories I read are in 2 styles, I prefer to read the INK version. There are a couple that I have read both versions of but the LL one was realeased more than 1 year after the INK version was completed, so that’s the only reason I read the LL one.

Don’t like this at all. Don’t trust athors who do this. If you discontinue the INK version that I was reading and only continue the LL one, I’m gonna stop reading. Sorry, but I don’t have time or passes to read the story all over again :woman_shrugging:t2: I wish authors would understand this part before they decide to discontinue their story for this reason.

2 Likes

Happy Birthday! :birthday:

1 Like

Thank you! :two_hearts:

2 Likes
  1. People like to experiment different things and some people do not enjoy reading ink or limelight so authors write in both to please their readers.
  2. You may have more assets in limelight then in INK so can include different scenes than you may have done in the original story.
    2.a I have done this with my own story and my original story received more reads so in my experience no. But for some people yes it may be.
  3. I have done this for my first story but probably will not do it again as INK does not have the required assets.
  4. Yes, I originally read The Royal Princess by @mollie.stories in INK but continued it in limelight
  5. It’s up to the author but I think if you want to please readers you should finish the original first before starting the new style but like I said it is the author’s choice.
1 Like
  • Why do you think authors started to write in two styles?
    because well it was new. and at some point you have to move on

• What are the benefits of writing in two styles?
    Well a lot of people only wanna read one style. a lot of reads who have been here a long time dont wanna move on. meanwhile a lot of new app users only will read the newest style

Maybe.

• Would you consider this for your stories? Have you done it?
    No.

• Have you read a story that’s been made in two styles? Did you read both versions?
    Yeah. just to compare. usally only read a couple of chapters

• Thoughts on someone discontinuing one version of a story to remake it in another style…
    sometimes its hard to keep up

Why do you think authors started to write in two styles?
Like everyone said, for reads. Or some people genuinely like the idea of writing in both styles because of creativity, flexibility, and animations.

What are the benefits of writing in two styles?
Refer to question one.

Would you consider this for your stories? Have you done it?
I haven’t done it, but I have considered doing it. For one, I prefer ink animations over Limelight animations which is why I consider it. Something about the aesthetic of the styles makes me want to.

Have you read a story that’s been made in two styles? Did you read both versions?
I have, yes. At the time, I was only a fan of limelight so no.

Thoughts on someone discontinuing one version of a story to remake it in another style…
As long as the story is being continued, then it doesn’t bother me especially since I’m a fan of both ink and limelight.

2 Likes

Demand from fans, or maybe they started in Ink, LL became available and they liked it enough to want to try an LL version.

Some readers still prefer Ink to LL. So could be a way to get their reads. I notice that the read count is always drastically different though. The original tends to get more reads.

Maybe. That is one reason. I came across one where the author just copy and pasted but some of the Ink animations just looked weird in LL. But could be for other reasons too.

I haven’t written anything yet, but definitely not. Some of the animations - even though they are available in LL and Ink, don’t cross over that well.

No I have not. I did take a peek at a few remakes though, and don’t bother to read the newer version. There are other stories to read.

I only read LL and I haven’t come across any stories I read halfway where the author discontinues to go to Ink. So I’m OK with this. Previously, there were some Ink stories on my shelf that the author abandoned and I’ve unsaved all of those because there have been no updates for a year.

1 Like

Reads. :smiling_imp:
Okay, but on a more serious note I think it was probably a mixture of gaining more reads and also the fact readers seem fairly…vocal(?) about their like/dislike of the art styles. I sometimes read fanmails on stories and I have seen the: Will you remake this story in ink/limelight comment made. So, I think it’s a mixture of authors wanting to gain more readers and wanting to make the overall “audience” happy.

More reads, for one. :eyes:
Also, gaining a larger variety of fans. While I think there’s quite a few of us who will read a good story regardless of the art style there are still some who will refuse to read a story if it’s not in the style they like.

I haven’t and personally I don’t see myself doing it. I really enjoy limelight and it’s the style I’m learning everything in so it kind of seems natural to stick with it for now.
To add more to it, I never really saw the point in remaking stories in different styles. I mean, I understand why it’s done but to me that’s just time I could be spending on newer content.

I’m honestly really bad at keeping up with this, but I assume so. Usually I just read the one style though. :woman_shrugging:t2:

I have mixed feelings. I think on one hand it’s the author’s choice. For myself I’d have to ask myself if it was worth it. I mean if I was 80% done with a story in Ink to me I’d rather just finish it than worry about remaking it in limelight. Also, I don’t know why someone would want to potentially isolate readers who really enjoy the one style.
But, I can understand people who move from Ink to Limelight as the latter gets updated regularly while the other one doesn’t get updated anymore. So I guess for me it would have to depend on how much of the story was done? :thinking::woozy_face:

1 Like

Back then, Ink was the more popular artstyle by a fat margin with Classic, as the fashions, designs and animations appealed to people much better. Nowadays it’s Limelight in this spot. Almost all of these two style stories are Ink to LL, pretty much because LL is the most current art style which constantly get new stuff. If anything, authors want to update their stories with the latest stuff to appeal better to readers

Mm, numbers-wise you get a lot of views collectively. Other than this and seeing the differences between Ink and LL outfits and animations, personally nothing much.
Most times it is, but it also gives a good opportunity for Writers to revamp their plots and scenes somewhat

No, have been LL so far. Though if Episode somehow considers a new artstyle in the future … we shall see.
But I do have this one story idea stuck in my head which I at least first pictured in INK and I planned to make its sequel/spinoff in LL, but yeah that was a Long time ago.

Ooh, yes, though it’s only from this one author I don’t feel like mentioning by name. It is interesting though how their directing kinda developed from INK to LL though even when they relatively it’s still a bit basic

If I were a fan of the original story I would be very peeved. I’m not sure though whether it is better to finish a story before putting it in another style or just writing the new version in the middle of the original.

2 Likes