DISCUSSION : Stories with Cliche Plots (2)

I haven’t answered my own questions yet, but I will do so shortly. I found this interesting : Out of the past 100 stories I’ve read, only 5 or so have been gang related . . . and at least 10 out of the 100 been Rags->Riches type of story. (and 2 out of the 100 have been like divergent copies . . . ?) Rags to Riches is officially on my personal, cliche list :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

shortly my asz

1. My description of a cliche is an overused plotline. It’s overused so much, that is becomes predictable. However, to me, even if the overused plotline is unique, it’s still a cliche to me.
  2. I think it’s an age thing… I feel like most of the overused plots are written by younger people… but it’s usually, as one might tell, the first story a user creates. (It’s rare to see a author create a unique plot, then have all their new stories cliche.) I think this could also be the reader hasn’t read as many stories on the app?
  3. I wrote this on the old-website, but the cliches are like the Hallmark channel, it’s predictable but at the same time they are a guilty pleasure. xD
  4. The forums is… messy… I don’t think the forums will ever be anti-cliche, but I would say there is a huge population of the forums that secretly loves cliches.
    4a / 4b. I am going to say no, I think if I answered this a few months ago my answer would be different, but I’m viewing the forums in a different perspective now, and I don’t think the forums will change. I’m pretty old on the forums, and I think the anti-cliche opinion came from the idea that new authors aren’t able to compete against the most popular stories which happen to be considered cliche.
    4c. The forums isn’t a safe place for authors who write cliche stories… /// I don’t know if this would be considered an advantage, but like, it seems less and less of new authors (on the forums) are writing overused plot lines because of the pressure to write unique stories.
  5. I LOVE TRENDS I AM A NUMBERS PERSON AND HAVEN’T BEEN UNTIL LIKE LAST YEAR BOI!!! AHHHHHHH I LOVE TRENDSSS Pregnancy->Superhero->Arranged Marriage (Pact)->Gangs ahhhhh yes, there is always trends, and will always will be.
  6. Depends, if a creative plot has cliche characters… I think this depends on the story…
    6a. Yes, Unique characters in a cliche plot is a cliche according to my definition.
  7. Oof, this is a great question self. Thank you self. I can’t think of one. I guess because my description of cliche is very, uh, strict?
1 Like