DISCUSSION : Stories with Male Protagonist (2)

@FallenAngelNight13 I can totally understand that. It goes all ways when writing about ‘shoes we haven’t tried on’ ourselves in general. For example, even Joseph Evans, when he first started writing on Episode, stated in his Episode Meetup vlog in London that he was concerned about not being able to write from a female’s point of view. But he came through just fine and found success. Like I said, it might be hard at times but it’s not impossible when we put in the work. And the results can be beautiful.

And a male main character in the Romance genre huh? Hmm… there is one that I can think of:

A story about an older man who dates someone online. Now, the story could start off with a scene of one of his siblings’ weddings, maybe a younger brother or sister getting married. Attending the wedding, he feels left out that everyone in his family is married except for him but he hides it. He has always wished for a girlfriend/wife, but just never seemed to find ‘the one’. So, he resorts to online dating. He tells his family about this special someone but they never actually see him/her. You can even throw in a plot twist or two here, maybe regarding who he’s dating if you want. Could be a friend who felt bad for him, or a friend who has legitimate feelings for him but because he doesn’t have the same sexuality, he pretends to be a woman to live the fantasy of ‘dating’ him. Something like that. Maybe as the story goes by he develops to eventually find happiness without the need to be in a relationship and that could be the theme/message of the story?

Episode had a storyline similar to this in their featured story Catfish that was featured back in 2016 that had lots of potential, but wasted such a great idea as they could’ve did more with it. Anyway, this particular storyline could touch on the stereotypes or stigma that society makes of people who are single/not getting married.

I got like a fanmail today that said their character was acting too feminine.

DEEPLY SIGHS

deeply sighs again

People deciding some behaviors are “feminine” and some are “masculine” are so stupid.
My husband spends hours shopping and trying on clothes sometimes without even buying anything, whereas I hate it and hate going with him. He’s kind of high maintenance and needy, while I’m happy to be alone and chill. He’s afraid of horror movies and refuses to go downstairs alone after watching one.
If he was a character in a story, a lot of people would probably say the character was too girly…

I wish people would realize that not all men act the same, and neither do all women, and that possessing supposedly feminine traits is not even a bad thing.

Perhaps to your readers, it’s more of an eye opener than anything.

As I mentioned, the key is to write unique individuals, free from these expectations. No behavior is exclusive to a certain group. For your readers, maybe they have been taught by stereotypes that our society made on both genders, forming certain expectations and shaping people’s views depending on which. Unfortunately, we see it not only in Episode but in real life with movies, TV shows, etc.

Stuff like women washing dishes, men fixing the tire of a car are two common stereotypes that people like them may expect. But anyone from either side can do these things. For example, my sister never washes the dishes and I am actually the one always washing them even though it would be ‘expected’ of her in a stereotypical sense lol.

Now, I wouldn’t necessarily call them stupid. I can see where they’re coming from; I’m not saying it’s right nor am I defending them, because I think stuff like that shouldn’t be taken/deemed negatively. But again, I can’t necessarily blame them for saying that, because they may have been brought up and raised that way, taught that way from their parents and relatives, and have been exposed to similar ideologies in the media for example.

Of course, some people will never change, but generally, I think misguided is a better word. Why? Because everything we do starts with a learning process, and if we want things to change, we must educate and change that process by what we teach and how we teach; good principles with no stereotypes or expectations.

Many are misguided, but we always have that opportunity: to learn gradually and to be guided in the right direction.

Whether we act ‘feminine’ or ‘masculine’, or have those traits on opposite sides of the spectrum, we’re all human at the end of the day. We can all do amazing things no matter who we are and how we act. The good thing about your story is that they can learn one thing from it: Everyone is unique.

So, expectations and stereotypes may influence how some act and how some expect things; such as men being emotionless to women being emotional. I’m sure from experience, some people can agree or understand that. Admittedly, I would be lying if I said I wasn’t guilty of being influenced by some of that myself. For example, I try not to cry in front of others and usually keep my thoughts/emotions to myself. But I usually release in private. Being raised and brought up, I was taught that this kind of stuff is looked down upon. I was taught to ‘man up’, and that ‘you’re a man, men shouldn’t cry’, stuff like that… and I know what you’re thinking, and I agree. It’s bad. It isn’t good. Humans cry. Everyone cries, and I know it’s okay to do it in front of others but I don’t know why it’s hard to… Perhaps judgment? Yet again, that shouldn’t matter, right? Even so, I am adapting, learning and growing away from things like these.

Times are changing with each generation. At the end of the day, we are all unique humans… And when we realize and learn that, we are all better off because we don’t have to worry about these expectations affecting us.

@FallenAngelNight13 @Brooke_Johnson By the way, what are the name of your stories? I would love to check them out.