DISCUSSION: Story Endings

Stories are the backbone of this community but every story has to end at some point.

This thread is to talk about how stories should end and when to end one. Below are some questions to get opinions out there.

1: How do you know when it is time to end a story?
2: Should people make spin offs after their story ended?
3: Should stories always end well? Wrapped in a bow?
4: Should stories allow for an open reader’s interpretation of an ending?
5: How do you know what ending type is right for your story?
6: Are children/pregnancy the best way to end a romance story?
7: Anything else?

7 Likes

Honestly, I get sad when things have to come to an end. For example with Jaded Love it was a bit meh and I guess it was time to end the story. But idk not all stories have to end with a beautiful happy family. It could either be the character finally being happy and having self love. It all depends on character development and if the character development is actually spot on then…maybe the MC doesn’t need to end up with someone, yah know?

3 Likes

I think its when you don’t have any more ideas for it.

personally I dont really like spin off. The original always seems better. But I have seem really good spin offs. I think it matters if your readers really like the story and want you to widen it

No I think stories like tragities are better because your always expect the hero to win over evil or always expect the LI and MC to get back together at the end because they realize they cant live with out each other

not always I like to figure things out on my own sometimes. and it leaves the theorist happy

I mean you have some limitations like a romance always has to be a happy ending. Because if it didn’t it would be a tragedy. But the ending is realy up to the auther

personally I don’t read the “epilogue” part cause its not important to the journey.
but no it don’t think children/pregnancy are the best way to end a story

6 Likes
  1. Because I tend to write mysteries, I know my story should end soon after the mystery is solved. However, if a story is less structured, like one of my dramas, it can be hard to tell when it should end. That is why I like having a bit of a plan beforehand so my stories don’t get out of hand and I know where to end them.

2. Spin-offs are fine depending on the type of story it is or what characters you decide to do the spin-off with. I know that I wouldn’t do a spin-off with the main characters in my mystery story because there’s no need to continue when the main mystery is solved.

3. Stories should end satisfyingly. The story doesn’t have to have everything wrapped up in a bow, but, for example, I expect a mystery story to end with the reader (at least) knowing who committed the crime and why. That would be a satisfying ending for a mystery story.

4. Open endings are fine for some stories. Like I said, a story doesn’t have to have everything wrapped up in a bow. You can have some plots closed and others open. The open ending just has to be satisfying to read.

5. I know that a relatively happy, closed ending (for the reader and characters) is what is right for my mystery story because that is what I like to read. I like the idea of the main characters having justice and of the reader knowing whether or not the MC and LI end up together.

6. Children and pregnancy are not the best way to end a story in my opinion. I don’t like it at all :joy: There are definitely other ways to end a story satisfyingly. I’ve read many stories without that as an ending and they’ve been enjoyable to me

3 Likes

I think the perfect time to end a story is when the main conflict and plot essentially gets resolved, and there’s closure. For example, if it was a romance story, the perfect time to end it in my opinion is when the characters finally get together after their conflicts or break up after the situation they went through. Another example for me is when the main villain of an action and fantasy story finally gets defeated.

It’s honestly up to the person whether or not they want to keep developing stories that are tied to the story they completed. If there’s some things that need to get cleared up or a sizable plot detail that could be expanded on like a character or how things came to be in the story, then I think it’s reasonable to do a spin off.

It shouldn’t always end well. I think the ending should be based on the sort of tone and mood the story gives off and the choices you made. I would find it jarring if in a dystopian world torn by war, the ending was the characters forgetting all about their dead friends and just throwing away everything they learned.

I think they should, but not always.

I know it’s right if it feels like the most natural progression for the characters to take after the events of the story. If we’re talking about time skips, I wouldn’t know tbh.

No because the main character might not be all that child oriented or they like taking things slow. Like if a character in a romance has a hard time trusting people and falling in love, I think they would try to prevent a pregnancy until they’re fully ready and committed to a relationship.

I like when an author does like an episode where you get your own ending first, and then they give you the option to view other endings.

4 Likes

1- How do you know when it is time to end a story?
When you run put of answers/ideas. Or feel it’s completed.

2 - Should people make spin offs after their story ended?
Sure. If they want too. I don’t tend to read them(mainly because I don’t know about them half of the time :sweat_smile:).

3 - Should stories always end well? Wrapped in a bow?
No! Heck no! I like twists and turns. Bloody endings, death etc, (That sounds dark, but I like realistic endings).

4 - Should stories allow for an open reader’s interpretation of an ending?

No, I think the author(s) should have a set ending.

5- How do you know what ending type is right for your story?

When the story feels in a right spot to end :woman_shrugging:
6 - Are children/pregnancy the best way to end a romance story?
No.

2 Likes

After the main conflict is resolved. After all, your characters must be working towards something, right? Otherwise there’s pretty much no plotline.

I mean, it really depends. (I’m assuming we’re excluding sequels here?)
I’ve totally written spinoff stories where my favourite side characters end up being MCs. Sometimes it can work.

A story’s end should reinforce the tone it’s been setting the whole time. A happy-go-lucky, power-of-friendship type story wouldn’t have a sad ending; that’d just be ill-fitting. A story portraying a mean/toxic character shouldn’t end totally forgiven without the character doing real work on themselves; that’d be sending the wrong message. Know what I mean?

I mean, this is a genre-specific thing I think. In mystery, for example? No, I’d feel cheated - what did I read all that for if I never got the answers?

Like I said above, a good ending is one that works with your story instead of against it.

No, in fact I’ve seen many people say they dislike that trope.

1 Like

When you’re satisfied. If the story has hit its climax and things are settling down and conflicts are getting solved, then it’s nearing the end. Don’t drag a story for too long, but don’t end it abruptly either.

It can be fun. It’s up to the author.

The ending should be well written, but it doesn’t have to be a happy one. There could be a sad ending or a cliff hanger. It’s all up to the author. I like endings that still make me think about the story.

I think some things should be left to the reader’s interpretation/imagination. Maybe not all conflicts will get solved, and that’s fine.

Whatever feels right for your story. It’s like a gut feeling you, as an author, will get. But then again, feel free to change and alter your story as you go. You can change your original ideas to fit the story. If the story flows into the ending, then that’s good. Sorry, I don’t really know how to answer.

Eh…I don’t think so. I don’t like it when the sequel is just the child literally reliving the same kind of romance their parents’ experienced, even if it’s well written. I just don’t like that concept very much. I personally only read sequels, since I love the old characters so much. I would like a sequel that shows the couple struggling with being parents or something.

2 Likes

Ig it kind of depends on what genre the story is, for example I’m writing an action story so the typical ending would most likely be full of action (ex: MC and everyone else fight the bad guys)
But in the end it’s all up to the author

1 Like