DISCUSSION: Story Genres

Ok, so I have kind of a rather lengthy discussion topic in mind, so feel free to pick and choose what you answer.

Basically, I’m having an identity genre crisis with what category both my upcoming stories and already existing stories should be in, and I feel like hearing what the community thinks belongs in each genre might help me make up my mind.

Plus, maybe this will also make things a bit clearer for people who intentionally put their stories in the wrong genre

The following questions are all just suggestions and totally optional. Feel free to add your own.

Action/Adventure
How would you define the action genre?
How would you define the adventure genre?
Why do you think action and adventure are merged on the app?
What’s the difference between the two?

Comedy
How would you define the comedy genre?
If a story has other genres mixed into a comedy story, should it still be comedy? Eg, rom-coms, or action or fantasy stories with lots of added humour?

Drama
How would you define the drama genre?
Do you think the romance and drama genre’s have similar types of stories? If so, how can you decide which belongs in drama and which belongs in romance?
Is it possible to have a drama story without romance?

Fantasy
How would you define the fantasy genre?
If there’s only a small amount of fantasy in the story, but there’s more of a focus on romance or adventure, should it still be in the fantasy genre? Example: a love story between someone who has magical powers and a human, where the main focus is their relationship and not the magical powers.

Mystery
How would you define the mystery genre?
Does their need to be some form of a crime it to be classified a mystery?

Romance
How would you define the romance genre?
Why do you think there’s a lot of romance stories that are put in other genres?
If there’s a smaller element of any other genre in a predominantly romance story, is it ok to put it in that sub genre? Example: a love story between someone who has magical powers and a human, where the main focus is their relationship and not the magical powers.

Thriller/Horror
How would you define the thriller genre?
How would you define the horror genre?
Why do you think thriller and horror are merged on the app?

8 Likes

How I Figured Out My Story Genre
I had the same troubles for one of my other stories, before settling on action/adventure, the story basically fit all the genres, so I went through each genre until I could at least cross out one, I crossed out thriller/horror. Thriller and horror are both in my story, but it is not present throughout the entire story. I eliminated comedy because it is not present throughout the entire story.
Romance was a huge part of my story, but not the whole thing, if anything, it was more about family.

So I was left with mystery, fantasy, drama and action/adventure
I eliminated fantasy, because although it is a big part of my story, my story itself isn’t the big fantastical story like I’ve seen before, and the main theme of the story doesn’t really relate to fantasy, even though the main character has powers.

I eliminated drama, but it was hard, and I had to think that my story was a drama, and compare it with all the other dramas in episode, before I eliminated it.

Then it was down to mystery and action/adventure. I really singled out the main idea of the story and the theme, but it was really hard, because my story is basically two stories merged together, and in the end, the merge together. I could probably still go to mystery. But I chose action/adventure. My story is about a boy finding his mother and saving his family from a long-lasting villain tormenting the family. And, as soon as I saw Episode’s basic cover for the action/adventure genre, I knew it was the right one to pick.

I know this is probably not what you were looking for- for me to reply, but I thought it would be useful for anyone reading if they are on the fence about their genre, and hopefully, you can use this same method to find your story’s genre.

Try to focus in on the core of your story, and what it really is about, as simply as you can word it, or, go to your story description, or create one, for guidance.

One thing to note: I have figured all this out, yet it is still unpublished and the first episode is barely half-way done

5 Likes

Wow, I’m tossing up between 2 and 3 genres, but you poor thing had to decide between them all!

Thanks for your input, very helpful :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Since it’s lowkey almost Midnight I shall break this into parts.

Adventure / Action
I would define the action genre has something that is violent and quick pased. By violent, I mean gangs, guns, space ships, lazers, superpowers, fighting, etc.
I would define Adventure as either a self adventure or an actual travel adventure. I think of Indiana Jones with mystries and planes :joy:
I think the two were merged because we (the user author) literally could pick Adventure and Action and there was no genre shelf for it. I think they are merged bc of how ‘unpopular’ the theme is.

2 Likes
Action/Adventure

How would you define the action genre? - These stories have a lot of things happening, actions-based storytelling, like Rush Hour or Kung Fu type movies. It isn’t motivated by dialogues and character personalities as much as it is motivated by something is happening and something more needs to happen, like Superhero movies. There’s fight scenes, and exciting scenes involving cars and explosions etc.

How would you define the adventure genre? - Adventure is about journey, usually physical. Though, I think an adventure story could be about moving forward in your mind, too, so long as that journey in your mind is what the story is about.

Why do you think action and adventure are merged on the app? - These are merged together typically because they both involve high amounts of movement and go hand in hand with each other because of it. You can have an adventure without a lot of action, but drama instead (which would be more dialogue-based storytelling), and an action show without as much adventure. The whole point of an adventure is to journey through something, and that doesn’t always necessarily require a lot of actions.

What’s the difference between the two? - Action is action-based storytelling by definition. Adventure can be an action or a drama story, it could be both but it also doesn’t have to be either. It depends on how the story is told and presented.

Comedy

How would you define the comedy genre? - Stories being told with humor laced within the story telling. Unlike action, where the storytelling itself is action-based, the storytelling of comedy stories are not humor-based storytelling, but rather stories where humor is most present, or the point of the story is to be funny.

If a story has other genres mixed into a comedy story, should it still be comedy? Eg, rom-coms, or action or fantasy stories with lots of added humor? (yes, I backspaced the “u” in “humor”, LOL, Americans) - Yes, it should still be a comedy story because a story cannot only be told with nothing but comedy. Like I mentioned before, humor isn’t really a way to tell a story, it is something you add to a story. Action-based stories have comedy in them, but I think being able to tell if it really is a comedy or not lies with the climax of the story. Is the climax still humorous? If so, you’ve got yourself a comedy. If there is humor within your drama/action/adventure story, and you reach your climax but it isn’t funny, comedy is not the correct genre for your story. Think about the most important parts of Lord of the Rings. These parts aren’t meant to be funny, and even though there is comedy within the story, that’s how you know it isn’t actually a comedy.

Drama

How would you define the drama genre? - Dialogue-based story telling, where the scenes are all driven with little action, but more of how the characters react and respond to things through expressions and dialogue.

Do you think the romance and drama genre’s have similar types of stories? If so, how can you decide which belongs in drama and which belongs in romance? - Drama and romance are two completely different genres. It is just like how comedy and drama or action are completely different. You know if you have a romance story on your hands if your climax is overwhelmingly romantic or about a romantic thing surrounding the characters. They can be similar, yes. I think that most all romance stories are dramatic/leaning more towards drama, but you can have a drama story without romance. Like, a story about a family, or those stories about the dog that always dies in the end T.T They could even have romantic scenes in them, like many adventure or action stories do, but Lord of the Rings is not a romance because Aragorn and Arwen kiss a few times ^^

Is it possible to have a drama story without romance? - Oop. I didn’t mean to answer that above, but seems I totally did ^^

Fantasy

How would you define the fantasy genre? - Fantasy is a genre that deals with ideas that could never possibly happen, different in sci fi in that way because fantasy is not ever based in a real thing. Like, everyone knows there is no magic as we think of it when we think fantasy. Fantasy is something that never can happen under any circumstance or any stretch of the imagination.

If there’s only a small amount of fantasy in the story, but there’s more of a focus on romance or adventure, should it still be in the fantasy genre? Example: a love story between someone who has magical powers and a human, where the main focus is their relationship and not the magical powers. - If the main focus is their romance, then it would be more of a romance than a fantasy. Think about something like The Incredibles. This is a drama/action story, not a sci-fi one because it isn’t about superheroes. It is about the Parr family and they just happen to be super heroes, you know what I mean? Same concept here. If the story is about their romance, it is a romance story about magical people or people in a magical world.

Mystery

How would you define the mystery genre? - This genre is supposed to make the audience feel confused/suspenseful/worried/curious a mix of any or all the above, things like that. It is defined by the fact that there is a secret, something that is covered and the story-telling surrounding the idea that this thing hidden must be uncovered/discovered.

Does their need to be some form of a crime it to be classified a mystery? - I don’t think it needs to be a crime exactly. It could be more of a horror-vibe, I think.

(Sorry I’m not super helpful for this one, I think >.> I did my best LOL)

Romance

How would you define the romance genre? - Storytelling based around specifically a romantic relationship, a couple, people falling in love, like Sadence Sen.

Why do you think there’s a lot of romance stories that are put in other genres? - Hm…I am an aromantic asexual person, so this is a tad unstable for me. I mean, romance can be sweet, it can make people feel nice and warm and fuzzy when it is a happy love because love is such a good thing objectively. It is one of the happiest feelings humans experience, so I think that romantic love is fun to write and read and experience as well as being something that quite a few people don’t actually experience in the best way. It is put in other stories that aren’t “romance” stories because relationships between two characters is a fun and sweet subplot. Especially if you love a character, many people want the characters they love to be happy and so they get shipped with people and readers/movie-goers are happy when their favorite characters get to experience that happiness even if it isn’t a focal point ^^

If there’s a smaller element of any other genre in a predominantly romance story, is it ok to put it in that sub genre? Example: a love story between someone who has magical powers and a human, where the main focus is their relationship and not the magical powers. - I think it is okay to say that it is that SUBgenre, but with a story that is about a love story should be a romance, not a fantasy. I think you can only get away with putting a story like that under fantasy when the story is evenly about both of the things. There’s a good amount of scenes where the romantic aspects are kept low or even nonexistent sometimes even if later, it’ll all come back around to be romantic between the characters, that’d be fine. There’d have to be a better balance, not just about the romantic relationship between the two. Does that make sense, I could try to make it clearer if you don’t know what I mean O.O

Thriller/Horror

How would you define the thriller genre? - Thriller is a suspenseful genre, different from mystery in the fact that a thriller is supposed to make you more nervous and worried and perhaps scared rather than curious.

How would you define the horror genre? - Horror I wouldn’t say is suspenseful, but more literally scary. Like thriller could make you feel afraid, but horror should make you feel afraid or disturbed. This doesn’t mean you have to have jump scares or shock value, though these things have become kinda trademarked for horror nowadays, lol

Why do you think thriller and horror are merged on the app? - Specifically for the app, I do think that these two genres go together, but I think they’re merged more because these are genres that both won’t get written for as often as other genres, just like action and adventure. Action and adventure can go together, but even when they’re separate, I think just like here, they’re merged because there will just be less of these kinds of stories on this app specifically.

What’s the difference between the two? - Thriller stories don’t have to horrify you to be considered thrilling. A lot of thrillers are stories about natural disasters, twisters and things of that sort. Horror stories are supposed to make you feel disturbed or scared every time. How often that actually works depends on the audience individuals ^^

6 Likes

Get out.

Nah, for real though, thank you for so much detail and using examples. I really liked what you had to say for the difference between thriller and horror, because that’s one I’ve never known how to explain

3 Likes

LOL! Sure thing ^^

Tag me if you have any other questions in this thread in case I don’t see it. I’d like to answer ^^

Put my college knowledge to use >.>

2 Likes

I just want to say that I won’t be adding to the perfect answers the above people have given you. I will merely suggest that when you have enough written, you have a test audience person read through it to help you decide. :raising_hand_man::raising_hand_man::raising_hand_man:

I'm not stalking...

:pleading_face::pleading_face::pleading_face:

I'm not
Okay, maybe a little...
Maybe more than a little...
Fuck, fine, I am.
I just can't help it, okay?
I have an addiction...

I can’t help but be addicted to my weakness. :flushed::flushed::flushed: :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: :kissing_closed_eyes::kissing_closed_eyes::kissing_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Comedy
Comedy is a bit hard to define, but I’ll start with this - I strongly believe that stories that have a focus on comedy (so Rom-Coms, Dra-Coms, Fant-Coms should not be in the comedy section).

So, what is it to be focused on Comedy? I’m going to use Kayla’s story INFAMOUS as an example. While there is Romance, Action and Drama it’s all a subplot to the humor & character interactions. I personally haven’t read Dirty Sexy Teenagers (I’ve watched a few episodes on youtube lol) its another example - it’s focus is humor and not the romance / drama.

Drama
I really like gah I forget who it was who described Drama as ‘Let me grab my popcorn’ and that is SO how I would describe Drama.

ill edit this with more soonish

3 Likes

I shall wait before I follow up then :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

ACTION/ADVENTURE
In my opinion, action has more fighting and the characters are meant to be doing that (like criminals, gangs, cops etc.) and it tends to be for older audiences. Adventure is more about exploring, and they can fight but it’s to achieve a goal in the end, the characters aren’t necessarily meant to be fighting they can be normal people put into different circumstances where they’re forced to fight or there can be no fighting…

COMEDY
If a story has other genres mixed into a comedy story, should it still be comedy? Eg, rom-coms, or action or fantasy stories with lots of added humour?
If it’s a rom-com I would more likely put it as a comedy. But if it’s action or fantasy it may depend on the plot… What does it have more of?

DRAMA
How would you define the drama genre?
The action in the story is related to social relationships and it usually affects the MC or a few characters lives.
Do you think the romance and drama genre’s have similar types of stories? If so, how can you decide which belongs in drama and which belongs in romance?
Yes. If the major plot doesn’t involve the romantic relationship like it could be about the MC learning a lesson or some aspects in their life (other than romance) it would be drama.
Is it possible to have a drama story without romance?
Yes, many stories are about characters lives and romance is a side genre. Although some people may argue that Drama is considered a style rather than an actual plot genre. :woman_shrugging:t2:

MYSTERY
Does their need to be some form of a crime it to be classified a mystery?
Yes, I think so. That’s what it’s usually associated with.

ROMANCE
If there’s a smaller element of any other genre in a predominantly romance story, is it ok to put it in that sub genre? Example: a love story between someone who has magical powers and a human, where the main focus is their relationship and not the magical powers.
No, I think that might disappoint the audience if they were hoping for more of the sub-genre.

THRILLER/HORROR
How would you define the thriller genre?
Idk, I never understood this genre … I only know horror :joy:

1 Like

Your definition of adventure and action genres basically match what I thought, but I really don’t understand why they’re merged on the app, since they can contain pretty different stories most of the time.

1 Like

I think that either they just go together really well, and action sometimes leads to an adventure… I don’t know beyond that, but I just thought it was a good choice to put them together because now there’s a wider range of options/genres for the story to contain.

1 Like

True. I didn’t think of that… I think action can lead to an adventure, but an adventure doesn’t always mean action though

2 Likes

Great idea for a discussion! I honestly think more people should stop to think about this before they categorize their stories :joy:
I’m going to start off with the easy one: Romance
The Romance genre is for any story THAT THE MAIN PLOT IS IT’S ROMANCE. As in; x meets y and falls in love. This can happen across ANY GENRE, such as fantasy or sci-fi (I’m looking at you, authors who put paranormal romance stories in fantasty :unamused:). Those stories are shifted into other genres in order to rise up the ranks quicker to get more recognition. But it’s dishonest and doesn’t do their own story justice or the genres themselves. Or us, the readers.
Okay now I’ll go back to the beginning: Action/Adventure.
I would define action as the MC has to go through hardships that are typically involve fighting.
Adventure is the MC is given a quest to do something, and the story is their journey to complete. These two are merged because the lines between hardships and quest become blurry at times. However, they are distinct.
Next: Comedy.
A comedy story is one that does not have a dramatic plot. The story is meant to entertain you, with subtle undertones at best, but nothing more. Rom-coms, if they are more funny than have romance scenes, belong in the comedy. But this is a tricky line to walk as well. Fantasy, action, etc. stories with humor ARE NOT comedy. They have a deeper meaning then comedy does.
Drama.
These are stories that follow one or more characters as they deal with challenges that set them back in life. This blurs with romance often, but if the story is more about the relationship between two people, and not the situation surrounding a certain character, it should be in the romance section. It is most definitely possible to have a drama without romance. For example, Ace of Hearts - the main character is actually asexual. This is obviously an extreme example, but a prime one as well.
Moving on to one of my faves: fantasy!
Fantasy is quite simply a story that takes place in a world outside of our own. However, if romance is the main plot, you guessed it - it belongs in romance, not fantasy. Fantasy is for stories like Lord of the Rings or Narnia, not werewolf love stories.
Mystery.
Mystery involves a main character who discovers something is amiss and goes about solving it. There does not need to be crime, just an issue the MC has to solve, or tries to solve.
And last, but certainly not least (as it’s my favorites!) Thriller and Horror.
Thriller is a story that involves suspense and intrigue, similar to mystery, expect it does not have to be solved.
Horror are stories that seek to terrify you. That’s all that needs to be present.
The two are merged because they are not as popular. However, they shouldn’t be confused.

Hope this all helps! It was fun to discuss. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

BUMP :bell:

2 Likes