Discussion: Straight people writing about LGBT in their stories

Hi lovelies :black_heart:
As the titles says. How do you feel about straight people writing stories about LGBT?

YOU DON’T HAVE TO ANSWER ALL THE QUESTIONS LOL. I’M AWARE SOME OF THEM SEEM THE SAME. JUST ANSWER THE ONES THAT APPLY TO YOU. (I HOPE THAT MAKE SENSE.)
EXAMPLE: IF YOU DISAGREE WITH STRAIGHT PEOPLE WRITING EPISODE STORIES ABOUT LGBT THEN YOU WOULD ANSWER THAT QUESTION… If you’re undecided, you answer that question lol.
Catch my drift?

Discussion questions:

• Does it offend you?
  • Do you disagree with it?
  • Do you agree with it?
  • Are you undecided?
  • What are your thoughts about it?
  • Do you agree that straight people shouldn’t write about LGBT in their stories?
  • How do you feel about straight people adding LGBT in their stories?
  • Do you believe they represent them well?

Feel free to add more questions.

Please refrain from drama and going off topic.

10 Likes
  • Does it offend you? It doesn’t offend me, but I don’t think I’m LGBTQ+, so I can’t really say.
  • Do you disagree with it? No.
  • Do you agree with it? As long as stereotypes are avoided, it’s fine.
  • Are you undecided? Not really.
  • What are your thoughts about it? It should be fine if approached properly and carefully.
  • Do you agree that straight people shouldn’t write about LGBT in their stories? I disagree with this statement.
  • How do you feel about straight people adding LGBT in their stories? As long as they do their research, flesh out their characters, and avoid stereotypes and tokenism, it should be fine.
  • Do you believe they represent them well? Some authors do, but others do not.
10 Likes

No, it doesn’t offend me. In the world of storytelling, u can write pretty much anything u want and let your imagination run wild XD

I agree that Straight people can write about LGBT. I’m straight and I have an option to romance either a guy or a girl in one of my stories. Honestly, I just make the characters normal and give them a cool personality, we are all equal, no matter what our sexuality is :heart:

Mentioned above.

They can write about anything they want, so long it isn’t creepy propaganda or romanticizes scary deadly, relationships or demonic kidnappings.

I don’t think much about it.

Hmm, I mean, I believe so. No matter what your sexual orientation is, you can have any personality-you can be cool, confident or shy, sweet. Try to stay away from negative stereotypes though.

7 Likes

Does it offend you?
As long as they represent them correctly, I don’t see an issue.

Do you disagree with it?
No.

Do you agree with it?
Of course. Again, as long as they do it correctly, it’s fine.

Are you undecided?
No.

What are your thoughts about it?
Though some fetishize and stereotype, there are others that strive to for inclusion and accuracy for the different sexualities out there.

Do you agree that straight people shouldn’t write about LGBT in their stories?
That’s no ones decision. You cannot tell someone they can’t represent a specific minority group. They are people. This is what people do for diversity–Representing others that don’t get enough representation and that’s what this is.

How do you feel about straight people adding LGBT in their stories?
Fine? If it’s not offensive, I see no issue.

Do you believe they represent them well?
I don’t speak for all but I do believe a amount of them do. :woman_shrugging:t4:

10 Likes
  • Does it offend you?

Nope never!

Never!

• Do you agree with it?

Yes.

• Are you undecided?

Nahhh

I love it! I love stories with LGBT.

• Do you agree that straight people shouldn’t write about LGBT in their stories?

I do not agree, but it is their choice if they don’t want LGBT in their stories.

I love itttttt. After all we do need LGBT in stories at some point.

Yes.

3 Likes

love this! :point_up:

3 Likes

:clap:

2 Likes

But honestly, the person writing the story shouldn’t matter who or what they are. If they are being inclusive and have accurate way of representing them, it shouldn’t be an issue. Or put into question.

8 Likes

I’m actually writing a lgbt story rn (boy x boy)
I got inspired bc my brother just recently came out.
Imma just answer your questions and stop talking about it lol :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

• Does it offend you?
    -No
    -No
  • Do you agree with it?
    -Yes
  • Are you undecided?
    -No
    -I think its great as long as the story isn’t offensive to the lgbt community :smiley:
    -No
    -I think it’s great! when I read lgbt stories it gives me a better understanding of them.
    -Well, some stories do on episode
3 Likes

Does it offend you?
No, not really. Unless it’s stereotyped, for example: all gay people are girly and wear florals.
Do you disagree with it?
No, not at all.
Do you agree with it?
Yes. If people represent LGBTQ+ correctly, I’d love to read the story, depending on the plot.
Are you undecided?
No.
When LGBTQ+ is represented accurately and not stereotyped, it’s great. The author’s sexuality shouldn’t matter, as long as they represent LGBTQ+ properly. I’m sick of stereotypes. A sexuality can’t make you behave a certain way.
I disagree. Why shouldn’t they? It makes a story more diverse, and everybody should be able to write about what they want to, as long as it’s not offensive and harmful to anybody.
It’s fine, as long as it isn’t harmful, offensive and/or stereotyped.
Some do, some don’t. It depends on the story and the author. When it’s well represented, I don’t see any issue.

1 Like
  • Does it offend you?
    Not at all!
    No
  • Do you agree with it?
    Yes
  • Are you undecided?
    No
    I think that people don’t have to have experience or be something to have their input. However, it does help when you’re more familiar with what you’re writing about whether that’s LGBT, mental health, violence and more.
    I agree, they just have to be careful to
    potray this correctly and work on not offending anyone.
    I have no problem with it, at least they’re including LGBT into their story. Everybody should be able to write about what they want.
    From what I’ve witnessed, mostly. :grinning:
1 Like

These very well may be the easiest questions I’ve ever answered.
Does it offend you?
No.

Do you disagree with it?
No.

Do you agree with it?
Yes.
Are you undecided?
No.

While it is a complicated subject, it is one that can be very easily grasped by anyone, straight people included. It’s not like the LGBTQ+ community is this impossible puzzle that only a few chosen ones can understand. I don’t even have a problem with people adding stereotyped gay characters. Like very flamboyant gay men, or tomboy-ish lesbians who only wear flannel and keep their hair short. Just because the media uses it as a stereotype doesn’t mean there aren’t people who are like this (myself included), and as long as it’s handled respectfully. Think about how when the gay liberation movement first began, many members of the newly formed LGBT community were against drag queens and transgender women joining the fight for gay liberation. Since they felt like “men dressing up as women or wanting to be women is a stereotype that shouldn’t be seen”. As long as every single gay character isn’t a stereotype, and they have an actual personality other than being a stereotype, I don’t see the problem with it.
No, they’re more than welcome to do so.
I think it’s fine.
From what I’ve seen, most stories (both inside and outside of episode) written by straight people don’t really do justice for the lgbtq+ community. However, just because I haven’t seen good representation written by straight people doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist. I’m sure it does, and I would love to see it.

2 Likes

If a non-LGBTQetc.etc writes about LGBT I would not be offended at all. I would actually like to encourage it. I know there’s a fear of representing people wrong but the community is so open to talk about representation that if an author asked traits to avoid they’d get plenty of responses.

I am one of the few people who get a lil frustrated when their isn’t same-sex LI option. I dislike when stories have like 3-5 opposite-sex love options and zero same sex. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Maybe I haven’t read the stories that do this, but I haven’t come across a story where LGBT is represented wrong. I’ve read stories where the best-friend is a flamboyant gay which isn’t wrong but lacks creativity.

1 Like

Not necessarily, though I do have a problem with LGBT characters being portrayed in an offensive manner, regardless of the author’s sexual orientation. Exclusion and phobias still exists within the LGBT community.

I don’t think I should be gatekeeping for a community I don’t belong to. But, understanding the community is crucial when you’re writing about marginalized groups. LGBT+ is no exception to the rule.

Again, I’m not in a position to decide if it’s right or wrong. I’m cis-gendered and straight after all. And I do feel that there’s something to be said about lived experiences. That being said, if the author makes sure to avoid problematic tropes, or at least addresses the topics in a respectful manner it’ll probably be fine.

While I am always going to be in full support of having a diverse cast of characters, I would rather someone not have LGBT+ characters than have a token one. Or one that only comes in the scene to announce their identity. When I see that, I think the author is telling the audience, “I added your token. Stop twisting my arm.” An author should only add these characters if they want to, and if they do, they should be sure to flesh out their personalities beyond being the MC’s confidant or shopping buddy.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Episode itself is guilty of doing this, but community authors aren’t off the hook either. I’ve definitely seen a few trending stories where the gay friend is a caricature of James Charles. While there are gay men who act like this, it almost tells me that the author isn’t too bothered by the prospect of offending a reader. I have read a few stories that represent the community beautifully, though I am not sure of the author’s identifies, and I don’t want to risk outting them if I’m wrong. But, yes, there are straight authors who represent LGBT folk well.

7 Likes
  • Does it offend you? Not exactly. I’m straight, but some of the LGBT relationships are inauthentic/boring? :confused:
  • Do you disagree with it? Nope!
  • Do you agree with it? Yes, but do right by it :sob:
  • Are you undecided? No.
  • What are your thoughts about it? I like seeing different types of relationships if they are done realistically.
  • Do you agree that straight people shouldn’t write about LGBT in their stories? No, but they should do research and reach out to the Episode community for a better perspective.
  • How do you feel about straight people adding LGBT in their stories? If done right, then it can’t be wrong?
  • Do you believe they represent them well? Mehhh :eyes::eyes::eyes::greentea::greentea::greentea: I wish more writers were nurturing to their LGBT characters.
1 Like

hi, before i share my thoughts i just wanted to politely add that straight does not mean that someones not lgbt. there are straight trans people and they are part of the community.

to sum up my answers to your questions: in my opinion theres nothing wrong with straight people writing about other sexualities, as long as they get it right. however i have a bit of an issue when its someone fetishizing other sexualities, such as a straight man fetishizing lesbians or a straight girl fetishizing gay men. but again, if theyre educated and write it respectfully then its great that straight people wanna write about people with different sexualities.

about the T in LGBT, i think with the severe lack of education in the general population, its much harder for a cis person to write a trans character than it is for a straight person to write a gay/bi/etc character. even if they are an educated cis person, there are some things they just arent aware of and they arent inside our head so they often portray our thoughts wrongly. cis people and trans people experience gender in some ways the same, but some ways different. because im so tired of the trans community being constantly misrepresented, i think a cis author needs to consult a trans person to make sure their portrayal is accurate and respectful. every time ive seen a cis author write a trans character without talking to a trans person, it is a whole mess.

overall, as long as the cis and/or straight person is knoweldgable and respectful, and consults the minority when needed, i have no issue with them getting lgbt voices and experiences out there.

7 Likes
  • Does it offend you?
    Why would it offend anyone?

Not in the slightest.

• Do you agree with it?
    Check the previous answer.

• Are you undecided?
    -_-

I don’t see how it would be different, except for some details, like other people acceptance of it, like family and friends.

No, lol. Everyone can write about anything they want. Depends on how they portray things. There are straight people who fail (in my opinion) to portray even straight relationships, so…

Indifferent. As long as it’s interesting to watch.

Some of them are, some don’t. I don’t think here it would be a problem to portray LGBT relationship as it is, more like portray romantic relationship at all. A lot of times I see authors portray romance in a very fast, therefore unbelievable pace, that makes me dislike the story, regardless if it is a straight or LGBT relationship.

2 Likes

Should it offend me? I am totally okay with straights representing LGBT+, as long as they do it correctly and respectfully. So, no - I do not see it something that should offend me :woman_shrugging:t4:.
If you want to represent LGBT+ - go ahead. Your story - your choice. But, do it properly and respectfully.
Why should it offend someone? If you dislike LGBT+ stories, then bye.

No.

I don’t have any problems with authors writing about LGBTQ+. As I said, as long as it is done respectfully and accurately, I am totally okay with it.

??

It is mentioned above, but I want to add more - I believe that representing LGBT+ can help the authors to make the story more realist. But, it is not the only thing that can do so.
But, it is not my place to say if representing them is right or wrong.

No one can decide for anyone else which specific minority group he/she is allowed to represent. I think LGBT+ should be represented, because they are human beings before anything. But, if you want to write about LGBT+ and you know nothing about it - don’t do it before doing researches and/or asking people here who are part of LGBT+ community themselves.

Totally okay with it? If an author represents LGBT+ propertly, then no problem.

I can’t decide if all the stories with LGBT+ represent them well, but I can say that some authors do and some don’t.

I always support diversity.

1 Like
  • Does it offend you? I’m lesbian, but no it doesn’t offend me.
  • Do you disagree with it? Not really.
  • Do you agree with it? As long as it’s not offensive and whatnot.
  • Are you undecided? No…
  • What are your thoughts about it? I think it’s okay.
  • Do you agree that straight people shouldn’t write about LGBT in their stories? No!
  • How do you feel about straight people adding LGBT in their stories? I think it’s great.
  • Do you believe they represent them well? Depends.
1 Like
  • Does it offend you?
    No, why should it? Should people from other ethnicities than the author get offended if the author includes characters from their ethnic group? As long as stereotypes are avoided and the way the characters are portrayed is not offensive, I’m totally fine with it.
    Nope
  • Do you agree with it?
    Yes
  • Are you undecided?
    Nope
    I appreciate diverse stories, but obviously do your research, please!
    Of course not!
    No problem with it.
    This depends on the author. I’ve seen a lot of offensive and stupidly written LGBTQ+ characters, but also many great ones.
1 Like