DISCUSSION: The Episode Meet Up (USA) 2019 Scandal

There’s been something going on within the Episode community about the person who put the Episode meet up together next year being a “racist” against POC. I’ve been seeing this all over Instagram today, and I don’t understand what’s going on. I am still planning on attending the Episode meet up next year in Chicago even though I am an African American. Can someone please tell me what is going on?

7 Likes

There was a racist author saying discriminatory and degrading comments about POC. And that author happens to be the host for the meetup. People are not going because they will not tolerate her behavior or the way she is and I think it’s best if you do the same. :confused:

8 Likes

Yikes :grimacing: … this is the first time I heard this.

1 Like

Ohh okay. I actually follow the author on Instagram and I’ve chatted with her; she seems like a nice person in my opinion. I haven’t seen her discriminatory comments against POC, so it doesn’t really stop me from going. I mean, I may change my mind, but as of now, I’m going to the meet up.

3 Likes

Yeah, its bad. A person stood up to her about it and decided to tell us. They didn’t give us a name but it’s better safe than sorry.

i never heard this before. but on the other hand i dont even live in the u.s.a

no matter what that is wrong. hating on people just cause how they look

2 Likes

Just because someone acts nice, doesn’t make them less of a racist. A racist can still make messed comments. It doesn’t matter. But that’s your decision I guess. :grin:

1 Like

Okay then…

1 Like

I can’t even go anyway! :rofl: My momma ain’t buying no ticket for it.

5 Likes

Oof I was thinking of going…but I don’t want to if the host is racist…

2 Likes

We shouldn’t entertain her honestly. But if people want to go, I would let them. That’s on them.

1 Like

Right I’m not going to support that or idk it could be dangerous imma just go to try the pizza and whatnot forget the meet and greet

2 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

The young women in question, admitted to saying some discriminatory things about POCs. She does seem nice enough, but those type of comments don’t just stem from obviously racist people. They can also be brought up by kind people who are ignorant and unwavering. She apologized, but people like her need to see the effects of their bad choices. She needs to grow up with a better mindset. I believe that anyone who is refusing to go to the meet up is doing so in solidarity to POCs and I respect that.

14 Likes

Ayyy! I haven’t seen you in a while. And thanks for saying this! You are right. :100::ok_hand:t5:

Heyy :wave:t3::wave:t3::blush:

1 Like

Darn, I live close to Chicago too :disappointed: Welp guess I’ll just have to see about next year…

2 Likes

And there was no need for you to say the word in the comment. Even if you blurred it. Could have just put "the N-word."Unless you are black.

3 Likes

Hopefully someone else hosts another meetup in Chicago. I feel bad for all the authors & readers who had to cancel because of someone else’s mistakes & immaturity.

7 Likes

Like most people did that, you don’t change overnight. You can feel more empathy if the same thing happens to you, still, not fully changed.

It takes a lot to own upto your actions and apologize. Glad she did that.

This is just my opinion but to all those who are planning to go: Wait, wait and see. See if this will have an impact on her, if it doesn’t, don’t bother going, not worth it. If she’s trying, go if you want to.

4 Likes