Discussion: Unique Characters and Storylines

I can’t be the only one sick and tired of the generic features used on Ink and Limelight characters all the time for Mc’s and the same cliche or overused storyline. I know we all Want something new. And not just from Episode stories, the community stories as well. I’m tired of the same Mc’s. The “I’m not like other girls” character arc. The bad boys, getting pregnant, etc. it’s just annoying and continuous. Where’s the originality? Mainly with characters. Blonde, Fawn, Chestnut Beach wave or Feathered hair, green or blue eyes, upturned feline or female generic, upturned or button nose. It’s not original. They just look the same over and over and over again. Be unique! We need more diverse personalities and character looks. More diverse and different story lines and genre’s. Not everyone just reads/likes romance. Maybe some Thriller? Fantasy that isn’t about werewolf’s or vampires? Anyway, what do you think? Do you agree? Do you disagree? Would you like more unique characters and stories? Comment what you think.

Disclaimer - Please no arguments or fights. This is just a discussion thread about unique stories. There’s no need to get angry or start any drama with anyone. Please be civil. Thank you.

18 Likes

preach sister! i read a lot of episode stories and i totally agree with you. these days it’s so hard for me to find story that will keep my attention. lately i’ve been into fantasy stories because there romance is always a little bot different and we all have our imagination so there’s no same story

4 Likes

Definently, having CC isn’t exactly having unique characters either. It’s ALWAYS fun to challenge ourselves to make one of kind stories and characters. I’ve even seen cliches used in stories, but with a twist.

4 Likes

My friend @ShanniiWrites even made a blog post about that.

6 Likes

Thanks for the plug!! :wink: If anyone’s interested, I’ll be speaking about a middle ground next week.

3 Likes

I agree with you. I can speak for myself when I say this, but I admit that I’ve used the same cliche features in a story before. I think all Episode authors have the tendency to favor something more than another thing. We can change that by adding more diversity and originality within our stories… just saying.

3 Likes

But are you and the others willing to do so? :thinking: That’s my question.

4 Likes

I already did and will carry on to do more. Idk I just cant seem to write any cliche story…like my fingers wont even reach the keyboard… but reading from time to time ok but even I am getting sick of it… legit

1 Like

Yes of course! Changing some of my old ways can truly help me out in the future.

1 Like

Yes!!! This thread should have been made a long time ago, because this has been going on forever.

It feels like you’re reading the same stories over and over and over again, the characters look the same, they act the same have the same so called ‘personality’ (or lack there of).

3 Likes

Is it okay if I recommend some unique and/or diverse stories in your thread?

3 Likes

Go 'head.

1 Like

Razors season 1 and 2 by @JackAttack95 has diverse characters and is a very unique story. I would consider it an adventure/psychological thriller.

Risen by Dxmands is a beautifully written mystery story with moments that will make you want to cry or gasp.

Living among the Dead by Eva.T is a zombie adventure tale with a diverse cast and fabulously designed plot.

The Treasure of San Javier by Coni B has diverse and memorable characters and is a modern pirate adventure with absolutely superb directing.

4 Likes

Bump

Been reading Star Power: Dawn of Man by Rahatul. Very unique story! Loving it so far.

1 Like

I completely agree. If a story has any of what you mentioned in the summary or cover art, I immediately disregard it. If they must have that kind of look for their characters, at least add CC. But honestly: I think diverse characters that you can’t CC are the best way to go. And to your point about the same plots: completely agree! I feel like sometimes it’s hard to find quality stories when the trending is full of the same plotlines with the same characters.

1 Like

https://shanniiwrites.com/2019/02/15/to-cc-or-not-to-cc-the-middle-ground/

Just gonna drop this here! :wink:

3 Likes

Bump :slightly_smiling_face:

In the stories I’ve written, I usually limit customization to MC, as I tend to write more cast driven stories with the MC as the character who’s acting as the invisible hand to guide the story. Even off episode, I’ve leaned very much into cast driven stories rather than main character stories, so I guess this just translated over. When I’m reading stories, if CC is offered to LIs, I usually keep them as what the author shows them as first. (I end up changing the hair a lot because I’m super picky about hair, but that’s more of a me problem :sweat_smile: )

2 Likes