DISCUSSION: What cliche's do people like / dislike in stories?

Hello Everyone! :wave:

I’m really interested in what people’s opinions are in cliche’s in a story! Let me know below! :grin:

What cliche’s do you LIKE and DISLIKE in a story! :heart:

Thank you for reading. Have a wonderful morning, afternoon, or evening wherever you are! :relaxed:

3 Likes

I dislike how in stories the MC or love interest will do something, and then regret it straight afterwards and chase them. Like why did you do it in the first place lol.

4 Likes

I like cliches that are well written. Cliches that are not problematic and that you can tell the author has put in time and effort and managed to add their own twist to make it different and interesting.
I don’t like the abusive and controlling mafia leader who manages to get the weak MC cliche. There are more but that’s the one I hate the most

8 Likes

Nobody likes bad boys anymore :cry:

I’m sure you can pretty much get away with any cliche as long as it’s not high school stuff. They don’t trend well anymore, so I assume young adult tropes would be better.

Personally, I love the “assistant” trope, but with slow burn.

4 Likes

My fave cliché is the evil villain. They’re usually the best in the entire story

3 Likes

When people see eachother in a bar, start making out, end up in bed, and the girl can’t remember what happened.

4 Likes

That’s understandable. :blush:

1 Like

Agreed. Every so often I will add a cliche, but I will make sure that it fits into the story well and it isn’t something that’s just there for the sake of it. :smile:

1 Like

I like a bad boy story every so often, but that type of story has been done so many times now that I think people find it too much. If you have one or two characters that have a ‘bad boy’ personality in a story, but it doesn’t take over the whole plot then I think it’s fine. :blush:

Is this meant to be a cliche you like or dislike in a story? :thinking:

Ah, sorry.

Dislike

1 Like

I love it when villains in a story have charisma and charm. It makes them so lovable. I do think that a villain should have a justified reason to be a villain otherwise it just ruins the character. :heart:

3 Likes

It’s okay and I did think it was a disliked cliche, but I wanted to double check. :relaxed:

1 Like

Favourite cliche: Things that look cliche but go against the stereotypes.

Least favourite cliche: Stereotypical diversity :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I hate the senseless cliche in horror stories :sleepy: When chars are all going separately when they can just stay as a group. And that car broke down/ no signal thing. Lololol

1 Like

I love a good cliche, honestly. As long as it’s written well, idc.

2 Likes

Okay! Can you give me an example? :blush:

Fsvourite or non favourite?

1 Like

I completely agree. :smile:

Both! :blush: