DISCUSSION: What cliche's do people like / dislike in stories?

That’s fair enough! Thank you for your comment! :heart:

1 Like

Favourite: Cliche chosen one actualky isn’t the chosen one.

Least Favourite: Sassy black girl, gay best friend who’s only purpose is to be gay, random Asian nerd, etc.

1 Like

I get why those stereotypes can be a bit much and why you’d dislike them. :blush:

1 Like

I love chosen one cliches :heart_eyes:

I, personally, don’t like rags to riches ‘cliche’. Like even the plot twists are over used (like sabotage, jealously, defaming, reporter issues, etc. )

2 Likes

I get why you wouldn’t like rags to riches. Personally, I think that rags to riches can be good, but it depends on how the writer goes about it. :blush:

1 Like

I hate hate hate student-teacher clichés. I can get why it’s appealing, I had a crush on one of my teachers in high school (being smart is hot and I def thought I was “mature for my age”) but now having been a teacher (and just older in general) I realized how gross and what a huge abuse of power that would be. 15-18 year olds are just not hot when you are 22+, you realize how big the maturity gap is during those formative years between 18-22 (literal brain development is still going on until you are 25).

2 Likes

I can completely understand why you would hate that cliche. Thank you for your comment! :blush:

haha, no problem. I have a lot to say on the topic :wink:

I think a lot of other clichés can be done well depending on the story line but this I personally (as an old person) cannot get on board with. Even college student/professor is weird to me but slightly less awful if there’s only like a 3 or so year gap.

1 Like

I get that. Are there any other cliches you dislike? :thinking:

Hm, I hate bad boy clichés when they are just straight up mean but I have read stories where it’s done fairly well so I don’t categorically hate it. I really like Ride or Die on Choices… kind of blasphemous

Also, nerdy girl stuff can be ugh because one-dimensional characters suck in general. You can be a nerd and shy but also have fun with your group of friends, you don’t always have to be shy… I like “Do You Even Know Me” over other stories about nerdy girls…

So yeah, student-teacher is the only one I hate.

1 Like

That’s fair enough! :smile: