Discussion: What troupes are you tired of seeing

What are some cliches/troupes that you are tired of seeing in stories, because reading books in the same genre some things tend to get repetitive.

( So I can try to avoid them!)

7 Likes
  • Mafia tropes
  • Bad boy/ Good girl tropes
  • Random high school pregnancy
  • Mean girl who’s mean for no reason
  • Guys who look like “Greek gods” at the ripe age of 16
  • Vampires/ Werewolves (this is just my personal preference)
  • Falling for your abuser
12 Likes

HEAVY on the falling for your abuser!! Unfortunately, a lot of stories romanticized the idea of it

7 Likes

Yes, the app is full of mostly 10-15 year old girls who read romance which is unfortunately a category full of toxic relationships.

7 Likes

I am beginning to hate the “girl is almost Rap*d and the LI rescue her” thing.

12 Likes

I haven’t even seen that but it sounds absolutely traumatizing

3 Likes

Ive never seen those either, but I hate thats even a troupe

2 Likes

I have seen it in a couple stories I have read,

And I really do not mind if its about bringing awareness, what I hate is when it is used to somehow give some traumatic experience that the MC and LI bond over. With no research about Rap*

2 Likes

The “I’m not like other girls” MC.

Also the one where the MC gets upset that the LI’s girlfriend (fake or not) is not letting her get with him. Like of course she is going to be angry, she is reacting just like you would.

4 Likes

oh yeah that one suck and is way to overused

1 Like

The MC who slutshames girls the LI slept with, like girlie PLEASE stop with the internalized misogyny it’s not cute or sassy and you sound soooo anti feminist. It’s pathetic because they make the mean girl out to be a “whore” just because she enjoys sex, and the MC some saint because she’s a virgin as if a woman’s value comes from being a virgin or not. I wish we had more sex positive MCs out there and less virgins because the “virgin MC” trope is really too overused as well. Btw, nothing wrong with being a virgin, I just dislike how it’s used in stories to make it seem like they’re better than girls who aren’t and therefore more desirable and the ones who guys actually want relationships with.

10 Likes

This!!!

1 Like

Also its an app with 13 year olds, why is sex even included? :joy:

3 Likes

I’m honestly tired of the happily ever after stories. I know that might sound morbid but life isn’t a 70s sitcom TV show where everything just works out in a neatly wrapped gift box with a bow on top. I want struggle and heartache and things NOT going to plan, NOT getting the guy/girl at the end, NOT proving the mean girl wrong or showing her up. I’d rather read a story where the character grows because of failure and not because she found a man who magically fixes everything. Rant done lol

6 Likes

Omg exactly :sob:. Especially in werewolf stories where the two LIs are constantly fighting over the MC’s virginity (bonus points if she’s the last virgin of the pack)

Seriously tho, I don’t understand the virgin fetishism. It’s creepy and dehumanizing. It’s even sadder when the authors writing these tropes are women themselves

7 Likes

Exactly!!! It’s usually women writing this, which makes me truly sad because it’s internalized misogyny and makes it seem like women who aren’t virgins somehow are less than those who are. Like I’m sorry but my value isn’t determined by how many people I slept with lmao. Not to mention how they make the virgin MC a naive dumbass, as if being a virgin means you’re a child or something and not just a normal girl who hasn’t had sex yet.

2 Likes

mafia :100:

3 Likes

I’m kinda sick of Bad Boy falls for Good Girl and Good Girl Pushes him away and then {Insert Drama} and they instantly bond and they all live happily ever after.

The Bad Boy & Good Girl stories aren’t to bad, but after you’ve read, like, 5+ of them, not so much.

Anyone Else?

1 Like

Respectfully disagree.

I’m getting pretty tired of the possessive “I own you!” kind of love interests. I’ve been pretty lucky in finding stories I love that don’t include it, but recently one I was really enjoying started to lean very heavily into it and I’m not sure if I’ll continue reading.

I think it’s super romantic and really sweet when both parties are like, “I am yours and you are mine”, because that isn’t a possession or ownership declaration; it’s a very mutual and loving thing about partnership, but the possessive love interests so aren’t being like that. Sometimes it feels like that’s what the author was going for, but it just doesn’t land, and the giving part of it is just nonexistent. They’re saying they have ownership and control over the MC, or that they want it, and it’s not cute or romantic. It’s borderline abusive. A person isn’t someone to own or control; they’re not a object, and wanting to “own” the person you claim to love is just big yikes my guy. It’s especially bad when the MC or some other character can’t even call them out about it either. It would be a very different situation if that happened, and the character changed and grew and realized how messed up that was, but I haven’t seen that happen.
The trope just spells out the future for a toxic relationship, and even though I’ve managed to personally avoid reading stories with it, from what I’ve seen and read here and other places, it seems more commonplace than it should be and I do worry about how it’ll affect younger readers when it’s portrayed so often as the epitome of romance and love.

4 Likes